Things I wish I would have known / Disappointment in DL

Californian Elitist

That transport to another place is the hallmark of themed entertainment. Disneyland most certainly offers that. What is does not offers is the vast amount of dead space that litters Walt Disney World and is passed off as immersion.

I should have been more specific. I meant in regards to the CMs (I of course appreciate the themed environments at the parks). CMs in character are fun, but I'm not going to get upset if a CM simply tells me to have a nice day.

BalooChicago

On our recent trip to DL I was amazed at the CMs. They were excellent. When I asked the train conductor if we could get a picture of him with my son (who loves trains it was the first thing we went on, and went around the full trip) he was great - he switched hats with my son so we have pictures of him in a conductor hat, and the conductor with Mickey Ears. One of the CMs gave my son an impromptu Olaf Rice Krispy treat. These are just two examples. Nothing like that has happened on my 15+ trips to WDW.

LWB

We are a WDW family. When we visited DL last year, and we had the best time!! I knew that DL wasn't WDW, and because I had done the research to know the differences, I was able to embrace them and appreciate the two places and their differences rather than be disappointed!

I loved that everything at DL was walking distance and there was no need for a bus to get to a park. I loved that characters were out and about more freely than at WDW. I loved that there were so many attractions in such a small area! I loved that extra magic hours were actually helpful because the crowds were so much smaller, you really could get some things knocked out during extra magic hours. I loved that dining was easier - we could still find availability walking up to table service locations and even quick service food was good there. I loved that there was a laid-back feeling throughout DL that made the days seem more relaxed. I loved knowing that I was able to walk down Main Street at the original park and soak in all the history.

Having said all that, I love the "bubble" that WDW offers. I love the Magic Bands and the convenience they bring. I love the ability to schedule fast passes in advance. I love the bigger variety of character dining at WDW. I love the amount of characters out for regular meet and greets at WDW with predictable schedules when I have small kids who want to see them all! I love the grandness of Cinderella Castle. I love the number of Disney resorts offered since we stay at a different one each time we visit so we get a different experience.

I will probably always prefer WDW but I can't wait to take my kids back to DL again! Even though there are so many differences between then, you can experience the Disney magic at both DL and WDW - you just can't expect them to be the same.

Figments Friend

What makes Disneyland wonderful is the fact that it is NOT Walt Disney World.
The differences between the two are what make Disneyland all the more appealing, to me anyway.

These days i tend to favor Disneyland's brand of magic after 35+ years of being a yearly/bi-yearly WDW Veteran.
There is a LOT of 'plusses' on the West Coast that Florida cannot match...just starting with the weather!
I can appreciate and value both properties, but Disneyland is by far the place that delivers a more 'magical' and personal experience for me these days
The direction that WDW has taken over the last few years has left me a bit cold. I am in no hurry to return there.

At Disneyland, i feel like a Guest being welcomed with open arms when i walk through those gates.
At Walt Disney World, i feel like a 'number' being processed.

There is a stark difference in attitude between the two properties, from the quality of the Attractions, entertainment offerings, 'little' things, detailing, and the overall vibe of the audience around you.
Those 'differences' is what i enjoy.

It is also wonderful to be able to just walk into the Park and do whatever i feel like doing on a whim....instead of having to decide 6 months in advance and 'reserve' everything.
That is not a 'vacation'.
At Disneyland, you just show up...do whatever you want, and have a great time.
No over-planning. No over-booking, no-over stressing.
Just GO...and savor the experience.

:)

westie

I agree with the OP about EMH. I had my heart set on a breakfast in FL of biscuits and gravy only to be told by a CM that it was closed and would have to come back later. It makes no sense. Why offer a breakfast menu if your going to be closed? Also, I've read that CM's are never supposed to say,"I don't know." And if unable to answer a question are supposed to call or direct you to one that can.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I agree with the OP about EMH. I had my heart set on a breakfast in FL of biscuits and gravy only to be told by a CM that it was closed and would have to come back later. It makes no sense. Why offer a breakfast menu if your going to be closed? Also, I've read that CM's are never supposed to say,"I don't know." And if unable to answer a question are supposed to call or direct you to one that can.

I'm confused...were you in DL wanting breakfast or WDW? What place was closed and what does that have to do with EMH?

Ztonyg

I loved that everything at DL was walking distance and there was no need for a bus to get to a park. I loved that characters were out and about more freely than at WDW. I loved that there were so many attractions in such a small area! I loved that extra magic hours were actually helpful because the crowds were so much smaller, you really could get some things knocked out during extra magic hours. I loved that dining was easier - we could still find availability walking up to table service locations and even quick service food was good there. I loved that there was a laid-back feeling throughout DL that made the days seem more relaxed. I loved knowing that I was able to walk down Main Street at the original park and soak in all the history.

What makes Disneyland wonderful is the fact that it is NOT Walt Disney World.
The differences between the two are what make Disneyland all the more appealing, to me anyway.

These days i tend to favor Disneyland's brand of magic after 35+ years of being a yearly/bi-yearly WDW Veteran.
There is a LOT of 'plusses' on the West Coast that Florida cannot match...just starting with the weather!
I can appreciate and value both properties, but Disneyland is by far the place that delivers a more 'magical' and personal experience for me these days
The direction that WDW has taken over the last few years has left me a bit cold. I am in no hurry to return there.

At Disneyland, i feel like a Guest being welcomed with open arms when i walk through those gates.
At Walt Disney World, i feel like a 'number' being processed.

There is a stark difference in attitude between the two properties, from the quality of the Attractions, entertainment offerings, 'little' things, detailing, and the overall vibe of the audience around you.
Those 'differences' is what i enjoy.

It is also wonderful to be able to just walk into the Park and do whatever i feel like doing on a whim....instead of having to decide 6 months in advance and 'reserve' everything.
That is not a 'vacation'.
At Disneyland, you just show up...do whatever you want, and have a great time.
No over-planning. No over-booking, no-over stressing.
Just GO...and savor the experience.

:)

The reasons above are why I love Disneyland. I was there last week with a 2 day park hopper and my wife and and I were able to do many of the of the key attractions (including TSMM, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, TOT, and HM MULTIPLE times) plus have the ability to do Pirates, Soarin', Grizzly River Run, IASW, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Buzz Lightyear, California Screamin', Radiator Springs Racers, Star Tours, The Little Mermaid, Indiana Jones, The Enchanted Tiki Room, It's Tough to be a Bug, Jungle Cruise, Disneyland Railroad, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, and World of Color. Plus, we were able to go to Downtown Disney for lunch, and had great in park counter service dining as well as Ghirardelli. There was some planning involved (with Fastpasses) but it was mostly spur of the moment and it was "magical" in that way.

My brother and I went to DL at 8:00 a.m. back in 2011 and by 10:00 we'd been on Space Mountain (twice), The Matterhorn, Pirates, the Haunted Mansion, and Big Thunder Mountain.

As a person that loves Disney for the attractions, Disneyland offers the best possible experience (due to the quantity and quality of attractions that are in short walking distance of one another.

That being said, there IS definitely something "magical" about going across the 7 Seas Lagoon from the Transportation and Ticket Center by ferry (or taking a monorail) to the MK (and seeing the park (and in particular the Cinderella Castle) in the distance that can't be replicated at Disneyland. Plus, the Wine and Food Festival at EPCOT is simply amazing.

I'll probably stick to my schedule of going to DL every other year (if not every year) and WDW every 6 - 8 years or so.

Last edited:

habuma

I was there last week with a 2 day park hopper and my wife and and I were able to do many of the of the key attractions (including TSMM, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, TOT, and HM MULTIPLE times) plus have the ability to do Pirates, Soarin', Grizzly River Run, IASW, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Buzz Lightyear, California Screamin', Radiator Springs Racers, Star Tours, The Little Mermaid, Indiana Jones, The Enchanted Tiki Room, It's Tough to be a Bug, Jungle Cruise, Disneyland Railroad, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, and World of Color.

Agreed. Even on busy days, the lines at DL are manageable. We were there on the 24 hour day and the park was packed with people. Even so, we were still able to go on many attractions without a FP and be in and out in less than 30 minutes. That would be unthinkable without FP on a busy day in WDW. Indiana Jones required a FP, of course and it was packed on Main Street for the fireworks and parade. But the rest of the park was easily do-able despite the crowds.

That being said, there IS definitely something "magical" about going across the 7 Seas Lagoon from the Transportation and Ticket Center by ferry (or taking a monorail) to the MK (and seeing the park (and in particular the Cinderella Castle) in the distance that can't be replicated at Disneyland.

Absolutely one of my favorite things to do in WDW is ride the ferry from TTC to MK. I discovered this by accident once after dropping off a rental car and riding the ferry to meet my family at MK. Have done it every trip since then. Highly recommended.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm confused...were you in DL wanting breakfast or WDW? What place was closed and what does that have to do with EMH?

Disneyland does an hour early morning entry for hotel guests and guests with certain tickets... since it's extra park hours, people often confuse it with WDW's EMH. Here they are talking about getting into the park early and wanting breakfast... to find the food service location wasn't open during the time the park opened early.

The confusion is easy if you're not paying attention... but the consequences people overhype. It's not like WDW parks are open universally during EMH either. Try finding food at 1am during a EMH at MK... extremely limited.

westie

Disneyland early entry. Frontierland is closed. River Belle Terrace has biscuits and gravy. Turned around and went back to downtown for breakfast. Sorry to confuse you with my EMH mistake.

lazyboy97o

Disneyland does an hour early morning entry for hotel guests and guests with certain tickets... since it's extra park hours, people often confuse it with WDW's EMH. Here they are talking about getting into the park early and wanting breakfast... to find the food service location wasn't open during the time the park opened early.

The confusion is easy if you're not paying attention... but the consequences people overhype. It's not like WDW parks are open universally during EMH either. Try finding food at 1am during a EMH at MK... extremely limited.
Heck, how many in-park locations at Walt Disney World serve breakfast without a reservation?

Stevek

I've also visited DL over many years, as a baby to an adult, and while I wouldn't say the CMs there are necessarily grumps, they also don't always seem to embody the "magic". Sure, they can be courteous and professional, but more often than not, their demeanor doesn't make me feel like I've been transported to a different world.

I've been to WDW several times now and overall my experiences with CMs are so much better than at DL, mainly because most of them just seem happier to be part of the "magic". But like you said, there are always bad apples in the bunch wherever you go.
Interesting. I've been to WDW 3 times and DL 200+ times and have never really noticed any difference. If anything, I've heard the exact opposite from others that claim WDW as their home park.

TP2000

A few thoughts:

• EMH events at WDW parks are no fun. Most food locations are shut down past 9pm, and if you do want food you better have a reservation made 180 days in advance. The park offering the EMH is way busier than normal. I've taken to avoiding the park with EMH and go to an opposite park instead, staying as far from EMH as possible.
  • The ferry ride from the TTC to Magic Kingdom Park is spectacular, and every Disney fan should do that at least once in their lives.
  • But when you get to the Magic Kingdom, you'll find a park without enough rides and with aging shows and entertainment. But very wide walkways! They'd need to spend over a Billion dollars and install a dozen additional rides in Magic Kingdom Park to get it closer to the Disneyland experience.
  • Comparing Disneyland to Six Flags destroys anyone's argument. You either have never been to a Six Flags in the last 20 years, or you didn't actually go to Disneyland.
  • If the Disneyland CM's start saying "Have a MAGICAL Day!" with a cheesy smile like the WDW CM's do, I'm burning my Disneyland Annual Passport. I don't need fake corporate cheese served with my theme park experience, I need polite and professional CM's.
  • Wouldn't it suck to go to Disneyland for the first time ever and go the week before the Diamond Celebration started? Talk about bad timing!

Minnie1976

I have been to WDW for almost 30 times since 1976. I have enjoyed every trip. In 1984 I went to DLR for the 1st time and loved it. I didn't go back until 2013. Yes DLR is different from WDW, but I thoroughly enjoyed both parks. I loved being able to ride in front of the monorail again. What a treat that was!!! Since we stayed across the street, I enjoyed walking to the parks and not having to wait for transportation. We took a day and went to Universal which was a big disappointment. I wish we had spent that day at DLR instead. We are hoping to go back to DLR within a year. It was fun and the original Disney. I am so looking forward to our next trip to DLR. As with WDW, there are so many attractions I can't wait t go on again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom