Things Disney fans let Universal "get away" with...

JT3000

I try to make valid points and I just get "witty" responses trashing classic films and directors, which are held in high regard by most, simply because they aren't Disney. Why did I even bother?

And I only compared Disneyland to Universal Studios because the parks were brought into the discussion. Are they comparable in the sense that they're both tourist attractions (with Universal being the older one?) Yes, they most certainly are, and my cred is no worse for the wear. Yours perhaps, but not mine.

ParentsOf4

Yes, but that mystique is exclusive to Disney because of everything Walt and his true descendants (which of course do not include cement-headed CEOs like Iger) accomplished. After all, the main icon of the Disney parks is the Castle. What is the main icon of Universal? The "Psycho" house? :p
You just proved my point perfectly. Thank you.:)

Epcot (as it was constructed), DHS, DAK, BB, TL, DTD, etc. have nothing to do with Walt. All of those (except EPCOT) are Eisner's legecy, not Walt's. But by hanging their collective hats on Walt and Mickey Mouse, we are supposed to think they are Walt's legacy. Swap the locations of USF with DHS, IOA with Epcot, throw in some Mickey Mouse ice cream bars, and suddenly the Universal haters would think USF and IOA are the best parks (except for MK;)) in the world. If you don't believe me, just read all the threads telling us what's wrong with Epcot, DHS, and DAK. That's Eisner's true legacy.

By the way, Universal's main icon is the globe located outside of USF. You'll find it's used as a symbol thoughout the parks. However, again making my point, it doesn't have the same effect on the typical guest as the Mickey Mouse outline (which really is WDW's main icon, not a castle.)

Californian Elitist

:)
You just proved my point perfectly. Thank you.:)

Epcot (as it was constructed), DHS, DAK, BB, TL, DTD, etc. have nothing to do with Walt. All of those (except EPCOT) are Eisner's legecy, not Walt's. But by hanging their collective hats on Walt and Mickey Mouse, we are supposed to think they are Walt's legacy. Swap the locations of USF with DHS, IOA with Epcot, throw in some Mickey Mouse ice cream bars, and suddenly the Universal haters would think USF and IOA are the best parks (except for MK;)) in the world. If you don't believe me, just read all the threads telling us what's wrong with Epcot, DHS, and DAK. That's Eisner's true legacy.

By the way, Universal's main icon is the globe located outside of USF. You'll find it's used as a symbol thoughout the parks. However, again making my point, it doesn't have the same effect on the typical guest as the Mickey Mouse outline (which really is WDW's main icon, not a castle.)

Goodness, EXACTLY.

maxairmike

I still can't watch the Birds without going outside and nervously glancing at any semi-large flock of birds, it still creeps me out after watching it dozens of times. The classic horror movies? Some of the best horror films ever made. In that same vein I'd much rather watch House of Wax than any of the horror crap put out today, that movie scared me witless when I was younger! Your Jaws and E.T. comments are laughable. Pop culture today is crap and most kids these days couldn't recognize good talent/film/music if it hit them in the face. Yes, tastes change over time, but unfortunately it has also come with a loss of respect for what came before and made it all possible. I think I own more movies from the early 1990s and earlier than from 2000 on.

TalkingHead

Oh, well, okay. Let's put it this way: Disney's film library is more impressive than Universal's. It has a cross-generational appeal that Universal can't touch. The horror film? Kids LAUGH at stuff like Frankenstein today, and Dracula? Please. The guy doesn't even sparkle when he goes out into the sun; he just disintegrates. :D Alfred Hitchcock? Some fat guy with a stiff British accent. Jaws? Dated. ET? Cute movie, a blockbuster in its time. But when it was re-released to theaters not long ago, it bombed. Also dated. And you aren't seriously comparing Universal's "tourist attraction" to Disneyland, are you? If so, you just blew your cred. Bye!

Two possibilities explain this post:

1. Obvious trolling.
2. Pixie Dust Illness.

Either way, ho-hum. The majority of moviegoers disagrees with almost every statement you made.

Californian Elitist

I still can't watch the Birds without going outside and nervously glancing at any semi-large flock of birds, it still creeps me out after watching it dozens of times. The classic horror movies? Some of the best horror films ever made. In that same vein I'd much rather watch House of Wax than any of the horror crap put out today, that movie scared me witless when I was younger! Your Jaws and E.T. comments are laughable. Pop culture today is crap and most kids these days couldn't recognize good talent/film/music if it hit them in the face. Yes, tastes change over time, but unfortunately it has also come with a loss of respect for what came before and made it all possible. I think I own more movies from the early 1990s and earlier than from 2000 on.

Preach!

Two possibilities explain this post:

1. Obvious trolling.
2. Pixie Dust Illness.

Either way, ho-hum. The majority of moviegoers disagrees with almost every statement you made.

Amen.

stitch2008

Let me say this. I am not a Pixie Dust Freak. I love Universal. I was a huge USF freak. Currently, there is a piece of Kongfrontation in my apartment. I'm not even kidding you when I say I have more Universal stuff then Disney stuff. Now, I interned there during college and after graduating worked there for a few years; before taking better pay and benefits in Las Vegas.

That said, Universal gets away with a TON. In a way, they always have. But since Potter arrived, its been even worse. Potter really is a mask over everything else. I still cannot believe how hardly anyone got upset about the state of the Hulk back a few years ago. The ride had almost completely rusted over, the splash jets hardly worked, the audio in the tunnel was hit or miss for a short time, and the trains desperately needed a massive overhaul. Whenever anyone mentioned it, everyone would jump around about things wrong at Disney. I mean come on. The condition the Hulk was in was unacceptable and they should have been called out about it more then they did. They only repainted the ride after B&M ordered them to(they really had no plans despite our constant requests for a 3rd shift repaint)

There's ongoing issues with Mummy, Do Right, and Jurassic Park as well. And don't get me started on Rocket. Like I said, I do love Universal. I just wish people held them to a higher level. Far too often I think Disney fans say Universal is great because of Potter only. They overlook the major issues the parks have. Disney and Universal are both not in the best of shape. I just wish Universal was called out more on it.

maxairmike

Mummy is in the middle of a slow update. Many projectors have been replaced and lighting has been adjusted in many areas (both on the ride and in the line). I believe Imhotep at the beginning of the ride is due for some TLC (possibly a replacement) as well. I really couldn't say much about Dudley, as I've ridden it once in the last 5 years (I just don't enjoy getting soaked), and JP is just a nightmare environment for the animatronics, so it really can't get too much better than "it is what it is." RockIt, however...yeah, I don't really blame Universal for that one at all. Should they have maybe required more of Mauer, probably. But man, did Mauer really screw things up, and their other X-Car system coasters and similar haven't exactly had stellar records. As far as I know, Premier is still getting involved in the ride's continued upkeep and improvement, but I don't think they're going to go as extensive as originally thought.

Can't say much about Hulk, it really did get in bad shape, but its generally par for the course for most large coasters. Seasonal parks with at least a few months window to paint coasters may repaint them a few times over their lifetime, so for a park that's open 24/7 to take down one of their few main attractions, and do the largest parts over water, I can somewhat understand knowing a bit about park maintenance. Has Dragons ever had a full repaint yet?

BryceM

This is better than DHS? Nice try. :cool:

Show me how this beats Hollywood Blvd and you win.

P9140014.JPG

I actually love the way the entrance looks. However, the San Francisco, New York and Hollywood portions of the park are equally as attractive as Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard. I can't compare the rest of DHS to USO cause that would (sadly) be unfair to DHS.

BryceM

I was going to ignore this post, but I couldn't help myself, as it really struck a nerve in me. The biased attitude in this post is really unbelievable. Firstly, Universal has been around for much longer than Disney, and they've got a bigger name in film than Disney will ever have. Second of all, the original Universal Studios in Hollywood, CA pretty much relies the WORLDWIDE KNOWN film legacy and it hasn't "sank". Universal has a huge fanbase and it won't ever "sink". Thirdly, Disney's shows nowadays SUCK. They were great years ago, but not now. NBC Universal steadily has had great shows since the beginning, and they continue to make great ones. Fourthly, Disney already has other works in their parks.

Disney's film and television legacy will probably never top Universal's. Universal has been around for exactly one hundred years this year and they're not going ANYWHERE. I'll admit Disney does theme parks better, but to say Disney's legacy in film and television is greater than Universal's is laughable and one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. Downright insulting, actually. Oh and speaking of theme parks, Disney should have went to USH before building DHS so they could have shown them what a real movie studio looks like.
Couldn't have said it better.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
Let me say this. I am not a Pixie Dust Freak. I love Universal. I was a huge USF freak. Currently, there is a piece of Kongfrontation in my apartment. I'm not even kidding you when I say I have more Universal stuff then Disney stuff. Now, I interned there during college and after graduating worked there for a few years; before taking better pay and benefits in Las Vegas.

That said, Universal gets away with a TON. In a way, they always have. But since Potter arrived, its been even worse. Potter really is a mask over everything else. I still cannot believe how hardly anyone got upset about the state of the Hulk back a few years ago. The ride had almost completely rusted over, the splash jets hardly worked, the audio in the tunnel was hit or miss for a short time, and the trains desperately needed a massive overhaul. Whenever anyone mentioned it, everyone would jump around about things wrong at Disney. I mean come on. The condition the Hulk was in was unacceptable and they should have been called out about it more then they did. They only repainted the ride after B&M ordered them to(they really had no plans despite our constant requests for a 3rd shift repaint)

There's ongoing issues with Mummy, Do Right, and Jurassic Park as well. And don't get me started on Rocket. Like I said, I do love Universal. I just wish people held them to a higher level. Far too often I think Disney fans say Universal is great because of Potter only. They overlook the major issues the parks have. Disney and Universal are both not in the best of shape. I just wish Universal was called out more on it.

add the fact that Universal Orlando is also slowly becoming Harry Potter Studios.

BryceM

add the fact that Universal Orlando is also slowly becoming Harry Potter Studios.
How? At first, I believed too much HP could be bad, but then I realized it was just another land that will be filled with amazing details and theming that will match up with the beautifully detailed streets of Universal Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom