They Built it so we would come and spend money!!!

Mongomil

Original Poster
So my belief is that they built Disney World to make money pure and simple. Yes it was a creative release for Walt but the amusement parks are really for revenue. If you do not like prices than combat them. They give you the outs to do so. You can bring in coolers full of food and drinks if you want. You can leave and come back. The only thing I see they have you locked in on is the price of admission. Everything else is optional.

epcotisbest

image.jpeg

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Admission is optional as well. We have been going for 33 years now and have never once witnessed anyone being forced to buy a ticket, regardless of price. Yes, it could happen, but I have not personally seen it.

Last edited:

Bacon

So my belief is that they built Disney World to make money pure and simple. Yes it was a creative release for Walt but the amusement parks are really for revenue. If you do not like prices than combat them. They give you the outs to do so. You can bring in coolers full of food and drinks if you want. You can leave and come back. The only thing I see they have you locked in on is the price of admission. Everything else is optional.
iu

pax_65

Still chuckling at the other responses but here's one actual thought: each business can look at short-term goals or long-term opportunities. In Disney's case, they can maximize the income they get from each guest on each visit (thus helping to reach their short-term goals) or they can give guests such a great experience and good value that they become extremely loyal and return time and time again - thus creating a tremendous long-term income opportunity by greatly increasing the lifetime value of the guest to Disney.

My issue is that Disney used to be more long-term focused (which is why I became such a loyal Disney fanatic) but now seems to be much more short-term focused (AKA "Greedy") which is why my fandom is easing a bit. :(

epcotisbest

Still chuckling at the other responses but here's one actual thought: each business can look at short-term goals or long-term opportunities. In Disney's case, they can maximize the income they get from each guest on each visit (thus helping to reach their short-term goals) or they can give guests such a great experience and good value that they become extremely loyal and return time and time again - thus creating a tremendous long-term income opportunity by greatly increasing the lifetime value of the guest to Disney.

My issue is that Disney used to be more long-term focused (which is why I became such a loyal Disney fanatic) but now seems to be much more short-term focused (AKA "Greedy") which is why my fandom is easing a bit. :(
Yeah, I am the same way, but we have been going for a long time. Our last trip, this past May, we spent a week onsite, but did not go to a single theme park, and only paid for one meal on Disney property. Still, we had a great trip, but are spending much, much less than we used to. That is mostly due to my choosing to not pay what is becoming, to me, too much for what I get in return. We can still enjoy the resorts and amenities without spending so much.

ScottKC

At the risk of going all "Fountainhead" here like Howard Roark said "I have clients in order to build",meaning the work was the goal. I think in many ways that was the philosophy of Walt Disney, sure he was rich and at times lived comfortably but he did what he did because he loved the work...not "to make money". And for a long time that was the philosophy that governed the company...give the people the best show you can and the money will take care of itself. Do they provide a good show today? Sure, are they putting out the best show they can and letting the money work itself out? No, profit, share value, "identifying new revenue streams" are bigger factors now than the pure pursuit of art. That having been said you still have remarkably talented folks trying to do the best they can within that new reality.

epcotisbest

Walt may not have gone into it for money, but Roy and the bank(s) certainly did.
And actually, the quote does say "just with the idea of making money." And, it is regarding Disneyland, not Walt Disney World. Without the making money part, it never would have lasted. Works of love only pay the rent for so long. I think there were a lot of long-term plans involving money.

Last edited:

Mongomil

Original Poster
Ok the "they" is all that was involved with the concept and construction of Walt Disney World. Disney World was much more than just Walt at this point. And ya by the way this was just soap box rhetoric. Thought that's what the internet was for? Hear so many complaining about pricing and how much everything costs. Well don't buy it, there are other ways. That is all. And yes I do realize that the only reason it is there is to make money. Not griping about spending money just a about all the others complaining about it. I am with a grin(ok kind of a side of the mouth grin but still a grin) handing them my money to go hang out and spend more.

Yes. Right. So, what's the point of this thread?
Not much just bored. Wasted a minute of your time ;)

Admission is optional as well. We have been going for 33 years now and have never once witnessed anyone being forced to buy a ticket, regardless of price. Yes, it could happen, but I have not personally seen it.
So right no one has to go it is purely optional.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom