They are NOT chess pieces

pilka214

Original Poster
A large rumor about the haunted manison is that the stone turrets actually resemble a chess game. THEY ARE NOT CHESS PIECES........... yes i know they look like this but the imagineers did not intend to do this. In the book " The Haunted Masion: from the magic kingdom to the movies" it says

" Over the years, many fans have speculated that the mansion's stone turrets are oversized chess pieces with every piece represented except the knight (who can be found inside, the urban legend says). not so, according to Imagineers. Although some of the turrets and ornamentation do, indeed, look like chess pieces, all are typical of the Mansion's architectural style and period, and the resemblance is purely coinidental."

this is quoted straight from the book. on page 49, for anyone who has the book.

here is a link to buy the book it is really nice and tells all about this ride. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786854197/doombuggiescom/102-6825285-8271308

iluvstitch

When I was on keys to the kingdom tour 2 weeks ago, the guide said the imagineers who worked on the ride always played chess. When they were making a model of the mansion, one of them put some chess pieces on the top as a joke, but it looked good so they kept it that way. She said theres no knight because its always "night" inside.

The only people who know for sure are the imagineers who actually designed the ride. Does the mansion in Pennsylvania (i think that's where it is) that it was modeled after have chess-like pieces on top? -Steph

dae_woods

We got that same explanation on our K2K tour. They are exact replicas of chess pieces so either those were taken from chess, or chess got the ideas from old architecture. Either way, I don't know who to believe.:( :hammer:

TheDisneyGirl02

Originally posted by iluvstitch
The only people who know for sure are the imagineers who actually designed the ride. Does the mansion in Pennsylvania (i think that's where it is) that it was modeled after have chess-like pieces on top? -Steph
The mansion in PA is called the Asa Packer mansion and it's in Jim Thrope, PA. I'm not sure if it has the chess pieces on the top of it or not...it's been a few years since I've been there even though it's only 45 minutes from my house.

TheDisneyGirl02 :D

StevenT

I did an image search on google and came up with this:

asapack.jpg

The Asa Packer Mansion. Are you sure this is the model for the Haunted Mansion?

hmd.jpg

Disneyland Haunted Mansion

haunted1.jpg

The WDW Haunted Mansion

None of them look too similar. Maybe the Disneyland mansion and Asa Packer, but definatley not WDW and Asa Packer.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I also received the chess piece bit on the Keys To The Kingdom tour. Granted, it is the on-stage answer. Has anyone asked the question backstage? To be honest, I haven't looked, I want to go on the ride, not look at the building. ;)

according to websters a turret is a small tower projecting from a building usually at a corner this might help you.

I havent really ever noticed the top of the building. i think i should look for my self next time

StevenT

hpacker.jpg

Well that makes much more sense. Here's a link to the picture of the Harry Packer Mansion

I see you beat me to it :zipit:

TheDisneyGirl02

Funny...what i was taught in school must be incorrect then because I was always taught that that was the Asa Packer mansion...:brick:

But that was one of the models for the HM at DL. Jim Thorpe might not be able to claim fame to too much besides the hand print on the prison wall that never goes away even after it's painted over, but they do have one of the models for the HM!

TheDisneyGirl02

mhead

I was also told on the Keys tour that they are chess pieces AND on the new Magic Kingdom DVD available at WDW if you watch the Disney Details version it tells you that they are chess pieces and shows the pictures of the parts in question.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom