Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

French Quarter

Im wearing Plaid Shorts as we speak.

The man has style, panache and dare I say, looking a tad debonaire.

You are plaid pants man, aren't you?! You just grew taller since then so now your dapper pants are dapper shorts.

Loving this thread, by the way. I am one of the few people, I'm sure, who finds the present-day version much nicer typically than the older version. (My exception would be the Poly resort. It looks fine now but it has certainly lost its lushness.)

Goofyernmost

You are plaid pants man, aren't you?! You just grew taller since then so now your dapper pants are dapper shorts.

Loving this thread, by the way. I am one of the few people, I'm sure, who finds the present-day version much nicer typically than the older version. (My exception would be the Poly resort. It looks fine now but it has certainly lost its lushness.)
And a ton of mildew! There's always a silver lining!

SamN'Dean

Fourteenth photo pair. Then Feb 2009: Downtown Disney West Side street view. Most notable feature is the top hat and magic wand on the building above the magic shop.

View attachment 112661

Now: June 2015. Of course, some new paint schemes on the buildings, and the addition of the elevated high line.

View attachment 112662

I didn't realize that the lights strung across the walkway in West Side were gone- to make way for the "elevated tracks" to nowhere. Are they gone for good?

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Fifteenth photo pair. Then: May 1974. Monorail view of the Polynesian Resort. The vegetation in the left background of this photo is small enough that the Ticket and Transportation Center is easily seen here. Note the large boat docked behind the long building. The foreground was one long white sand beach around the lake.

016 May 1974.jpg

Now: July 2015. 41 years later. Some additional out buildings in the Polynesian Resort, as well as the new villas over the water. The beach in the foreground has many more palm trees. The wedding pavilion is just off to the left of the below photo.

Jul 2015 IMG_5702 - Copy.JPG

Timon

Anyone else notice how nasty the lake water is these days. It used to be bluer and clearer. Ever since they started supplementing the lake water during dry season with canal water to bring up lake levels the lakes have gotten that brown Tannic look. This is sad because the lakes are engineered so the Tannic Acid from forest runoff doesn't go in the lakes but into the canals. Compare old pictures to today and you'll see the difference like more white sandy beaches and no weeds in the water.

I do love how the landscaping grew in. And the Poly buildings are more colorful now.

Goofyernmost

Anyone else notice how nasty the lake water is these days. It used to be bluer and clearer. Ever since they started supplementing the lake water during dry season with canal water to bring up lake levels the lakes have gotten that brown Tannic look. This is sad because the lakes are engineered so the Tannic Acid from forest runoff doesn't go in the lakes but into the canals. Compare old pictures to today and you'll see the difference like more white sandy beaches and no weeds in the water.

I do love how the landscaping grew in. And the Poly buildings are more colorful now.
Wasn't the lagoon always attached to the canals as one big system. I don't think anything is any different.

Timon

Wasn't the lagoon always attached to the canals as one big system. I don't think anything is any different.
Bay Lake and 7Seas Lagoon empty over small water control damns in two locations. There are no inlets to the lakes except for the springs on the bottom of Bay Lake just north of the Contemporary before the Marina.

Disney used to use potable water to even up the lake level so the ferry boats and docks would work correctly. To save water from the Florida aquifer, pumps were installed to suck stagnant water from the canals up to the lakes.

Shortly after doing this, swimming in the lakes became verboten and the lakes clouded. The Amoebae which causes the brain killing disease, loves stagnant hot water like in the canals. And is blamed for the swimming ban. Hmmm.

There are alternatives where Tannic water can wash thru special filtering wetlands to clean the water but there is also a technology company called Crystal Lagoons that specializes in taking any miserable source of water and purifies it using their patented process. They could easily take canal water or recycled water clean it up use it for a hotel pool which then overflows into Bay Lake providing clean renewable water source to maintain the lakes. Maybe over time the lakes would clear again.

There website:
http://www.crystal-lagoons.com/
crystal-lagoons-in-chile.jpg

Crystal_Lagoons_02.jpg

Disney.Mike

By the way, there is only one recorded incident of the yelling and honking of horns. 1 in how many millions visit the parks yearly. Hardly a basis of comparison. Incidentally I saw that lady on the scooter and yes, I might have turned around and taken the keys out and flung them into the crowd, but, she didn't run into anyone, she just annoyed them to the point of justifiable homicide.

If this happened over Christmas of 2012 it was probably my grandmother...

The one trip my family took her, I'm sure she ran over a couple hundred people a day :(
Our first day at the world, we had breakfast at the Crystal Palace. After eating, she ran her scooter down the curb and wrecked it on Main St. Another incident was at a gift shop in DHS near LMA. There was a Pole (collum...spellings?) in between 2 racks of goodied... two teenage girls were shopping at one rack (the right side of the pole was clear, but granny decided she wanted to take the left path where the girls were)... she laid on the scooter horn for a solid 10 seconds, when the kids looked at her confused, she started yelling profanities, turned hard right at full throttle, hit the poll, flipped her scooter, and knocked down the rack of items

Needless to say, I was very embarrassed and the family has not took her back

PS: thank God for the 5$ a day insurance the yellow scooter company offered...

JourneysEnd

The one trip my family took her, I'm sure she ran over a couple hundred people a day :(
Our first day at the world, we had breakfast at the Crystal Palace. After eating, she ran her scooter down the curb and wrecked it on Main St. Another incident was at a gift shop in DHS near LMA. There was a Pole (collum...spellings?) in between 2 racks of goodied... two teenage girls were shopping at one rack (the right side of the pole was clear, but granny decided she wanted to take the left path where the girls were)... she laid on the scooter horn for a solid 10 seconds, when the kids looked at her confused, she started yelling profanities, turned hard right at full throttle, hit the poll, flipped her scooter, and knocked down the rack of items

I gotta ask, how old was she at the time?

Disney.Mike

I gotta ask, how old was she at the time?

Mid 60's... I cant blame this on any kind of aging issue. The woman has always been nuttier than a squirrel turd...
Her inability to drive is also not relegated to a scooter... The state of Alabama revoked her DL (for 1 year) because a State trooper was stopped at a red light... she rear ended him, got arrested constantly screaming "YOU DIDNT F****** SEE ME"...

All in all, she is a rather hateful woman (should have seen the way she treated the waiters at the Signature Dining places)...

Was a very embarrassing trip... my kids (2 and 5 at the time), me, teenage sister pre teen brother, mom and stepdad were almost scared to show ourselves at Disney again.

Matt_Black

Mid 60's... I cant blame this on any kind of aging issue. The woman has always been nuttier than a squirrel turd...
Her inability to drive is also not relegated to a scooter... The state of Alabama revoked her DL (for 1 year) because a State trooper was stopped at a red light... she rear ended him, got arrested constantly screaming "YOU DIDNT F****** SEE ME"...

All in all, she is a rather hateful woman (should have seen the way she treated the waiters at the Signature Dining places)...

Was a very embarrassing trip... my kids (2 and 5 at the time), me, teenage sister pre teen brother, mom and stepdad were almost scared to show ourselves at Disney again.

Sounds like one of those "treasured guests" we hear about....

JourneysEnd

I'm sure it was a nightmare while happening, but it's funny now.

LdyApxr

LOL! I was going to ask if she was still allowed to drive a car! I don't deal with hateful people, even if they are relatives. They can be hateful on their own at home. LOL

Goofyernmost

Could very well have been. I was there just before Christmas and I believe it was in 2012. Wouldn't that be a coincidence. I saw her going toward the exit in MK. Just laying on the horn of the scooter behind a veritable mob of people that had no place to go even if they wanted too. It was funny and sad all at the same time. Quite a piece of work.

matt9112

I believe so

Here's some from Magic Kingdom

2009 - Fantasyland Skyway Station
reminders_skywaytotl2009ww.jpg

2013 - Tangled Toilets
reminders_skywaytotl2013ww.jpg

1983 - Haunted Mansion
mkthennow1_hauntedmansion1983ww.jpg

2011 - Haunted Mansion
mkthennow1_hauntedmansion2011ww.jpg

1983 - Pirates
mkthennow1_pirates1983ww.jpg

2011 - Pirates
mkthennow1_pirates2011ww.jpg

1983 - it's a small world
mkthennow2_smallworld1983ww.jpg

2011 - it's a small world
mkthennow2_smallworld2011ww.jpg

Photos from Magic King Then and Now Part 1&2, as well as The Magic Kingdom Skyway - Yesterland. com

so they really need to cut those trees down by mansion...i think i like the open exposed look better. wonder why the side signage was removed from pirates looks very helpful to non Disney nerds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom