Theme Parks Have Rides, Right? WDW vs. DLR 2022 Edition

No Name

Universal Studios Florida has 14 rides (About to lose 2 woody nuthouse coaster and fivel raft waterslide when KidZone closes, at least temporarily, will gain 1 when the Shrek replacement is done, number does not include the Bourne show or Horror Makeup)
Islands of Adventure has 17 rides (not including PF)
Epic Universe is rumored to open with at least 11.
The Shrek replacement is a moving walkway (a ā€œstand-Gruā€ attraction) so I donā€™t know if that counts as a ride. I guess it does?

Iā€™m mostly here to say that this is the first time Iā€™m hearing that the waterslide is going away, which I knew would happen eventually but it makes me sad for some reason. I liked that damn thing. It was weird. Itā€™s weird to ride a water slide with clothes on. Will we ever see something like that in a theme park again?

TP2000

Original Poster
How dare you forget the Tiki Room!

Runs away crying šŸ˜­

I only counted rides, not theater attractions or stage shows.

The Carousel of Progress makes the cut for WDW because it's technically a ride vehicle that revolves.

But the Tiki Room is a personal favorite of mine, even if it doesn't move. Or the rainstorm is fake. Or the birds aren't real. Or the hostess has Tweety bird tats on her arm now as she wakes up Jose. ;)

Walt_TikiRm_Neg_6_19_63.jpg

Phroobar

So is the taping on the bird's perch actually start the show or is it just timed? Is there a magnet in the stick?

CaptinEO

We had a big discussion about labor rates here a year or so ago when they allowed tats and anything goes hair and nails and beards and overall lazy grooming.

My opinion is that labor rates for unskilled, entry-level jobs at Disneyland (ride ops, burger ops, shop cashiers, custodial sweepers, ticket-takers, parking attendants, etc.) should be several bucks above California's already high minimum wage ($15.50 an hour now), or on par with In-N-Out at around $18 or $19. That wage would be fair so long as they retained the traditional grooming and performance standards, and considering that CM's have to deal with parking crap and crummy amenities and a park environment that's always at least Defcon 3.

BUT... once you remove all grooming standards and allow for mediocre service skills, you don't get to expect In-N-Out wages any longer. A buck over CA minimum wage for CM's is appropriate now, because the standards have been obviously lowered and thus the labor pool has been dramatically widened.

This is all Basic Labor Economics 101. More supply of eligible employees drives down the labor rate. Less supply of eligible employees drives up the labor rate.
It's sad. Disney's standards are low for not only the customer service they provide, but how they treat and train their CMs.

Meanwhile as guests get nickel and dimed due to price increases and cut backs they take it out on the CM who gets paid very little in a bad economy in an expensive area. The management that makes these decisions sees little consequence since they are so far removed.

yeti

As I've got a long Japan vacation with two days at Tokyo Disneyland planned out for 2023, I'll do a tally of their rides in a bit here.

And also vastly superior when it comes to cleanliness, maintenance, CM performance and service skills, CM appearance and grooming, attention to detail, operational excellence, etc.

I'm moving from SoCal within days now, but the way TDA has run Disneyland into the ground and allowed the CM's to look like homeless bikers if they want, not visiting Disneyland regularly is not at all a concern of mine any longer. Because I have a couple days planned for in '23 in the dramatically better Tokyo Disneyland. That's more than enough Disney theme park for me. :cool:

cast-member-tokyo-disneysea-316.jpg
Just FYI - you should wait until 2024 if you want to see Fantasy Springs. Or go twice!!

TP2000

Original Poster
It's a new year and the ribbon was just cut today on Disneyland's latest new E Ticket, Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway. So it's time to update this Ride Count thread with the latest numbers and stats for both coasts for 2023.

I'm going to change it up a bit by adding the Disneyland Monorail in as a ride, which may step on some Floridian toes. But if the lone and irregularly operating Friendship boat across World Showcase Lagoon (only operating the route between Canada and Morocco) counts as a ride for Epcot, the Monorail fleet leaving from the Tomorrowland station every 7 minutes is going to count for a ride at Disneyland.

Also, the Main Street Vehicles have fallen off the Magic Kingdom Park guidemaps entirely now in 2023. I assume they still operate, even for just a few hours at WDW? At Disneyland, they've actually expanded their operation past the late afternoon in '23 and now run them well into the evening hours.

Here's where the two American properties stand in rides (an attraction with a moving vehicle that physically transports you in some way.)

Disneyland Resort = 59 Rides

Disneyland Park = 40 Rides
E Tickets = 14
(Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Star Wars Rise Before Dawn, Millennium Falcon Target Run, it's a small world, Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Submarine Voyage, Space Mountain, Star Tours)
D Tickets = 8 (Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, Davy Crockett Canoes, StorybookLand Canal Boats, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Disneyland Railroad, Autopia, Monorail)
C Tickets = 11 (Horse Drawn Streetcars, Rafts to Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, Winnie The Pooh, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Snow White's Immersive Enchanted Wish Dream Experience 100, Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Gadget's Go Coaster)
B Tickets = 4 (Teacups, Dumbo, King Arthur's Carousel, Astro Orbiter)
A Tickets = 3 (Fire Truck, Omnibus, Horseless Carriage)

Disney California Adventure = 19 Rides
E Tickets = 5
(Soarin', Grizzly River Run, Chase-A-Baby, Radiator Springs Racers, Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout!)
D Tickets = 4 (Spiderman, Little Mermaid, Toy Story Midway Mania, Goofy's Sky School)
C Tickets = 8 (Golden Zephyr, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Silly Symphony Swings, Emotional Whirlwind, Fun Wheel, Luigi's Roadsters, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Monster's Inc.)
B Tickets = 2 (Jessie's Carousel, Red Car Trolley)

Walt Disney World Resort = 57 Rides

Magic Kingdom Park = 28 Rides

E Tickets = 7
(Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, it's a small world, Space Mountain)
D Tickets = 8 (Disney World Railroad, Little Mermaid, Tomorrowland Speedway, Liberty Square Riverboat, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, Carousel of Progress, Seven Dwarves Mine Train, PeopleMover)
C Tickets = 5 (Horse-Drawn Streetcars, Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island, Peter Pan's Flight, The Barnstormer, Winnie The Pooh)
B Tickets = 5 (Magic Carpets, Dumbo, Teacups, Regal Carousel, Astro Orbiter)

EPCOT Center = 12 Rides
E Tickets = 6
(Spaceship Earth, Journey Into Imagination, Cosmic Rewind, Mission Space, Test Track, Soarin')
D Tickets = 4 (Living With The Land Boat Ride, Gran Fiesta Tour, Frozen Ever After, Remy's Rat Adventure)
C Tickets = 2(FriendShip Boats, The Seas With Nemo Omnimover))

Disney's Hollywood Studios = 9 Rides
E Tickets = 6
(Star Wars Rise Before Dawn, Millennium Falcon Target Run, Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, Star Tours, Rock N' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror)
D Tickets = 2 (Slinky Dog Coaster, Midway Mania)
C Tickets = 1 (Alien Swirling Saucers)

Disney's Animal Kingdom = 8 Rides
E Tickets = 5
(Flight of Passage, Kilimanjaro Safari, Kali River Rapids, Expedition Everest, DINOSAUR)
D Tickets = 2 (Navi River Journey, Train to Conservation Station)
C Ticket = 1 (Triceratop Spin)

Later this summer, the Tron coaster will finally open at Magic Kingdom Park. That will bring the Magic Kingdom tally up to 29 rides, and the WDW tally up to 58 rides. Still short of that little, tiny locals-only park called Disneyland Resort. šŸ¤”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's a new year and the ribbon was just cut today on Disneyland's latest new E Ticket, Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway. So it's time to update this Ride Count thread with the latest numbers and stats for both coasts for 2023.

I'm going to change it up a bit by adding the Disneyland Monorail in as a ride, which may step on some Floridian toes. But if the lone and irregularly operating Friendship boat across World Showcase Lagoon (only operating the route between Canada and Morocco) counts as a ride for Epcot, the Monorail fleet leaving from the Tomorrowland station every 7 minutes is going to count for a ride at Disneyland.

Also, the Main Street Vehicles have fallen off the Magic Kingdom Park guidemaps entirely now in 2023. I assume they still operate, even for just a few hours at WDW? At Disneyland, they've actually expanded their operation past the late afternoon in '23 and now run them well into the evening hours.

Here's where the two American properties stand in rides (an attraction with a moving vehicle that physically transports you in some way.)

Disneyland Resort = 59 Rides

Disneyland Park = 40 Rides
E Tickets = 14
(Jungle Cruise, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Star Wars Rise Before Dawn, Millennium Falcon Target Run, it's a small world, Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Submarine Voyage, Space Mountain, Star Tours)
D Tickets = 8 (Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, Davy Crockett Canoes, StorybookLand Canal Boats, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Disneyland Railroad, Autopia, Monorail)
C Tickets = 11 (Horse Drawn Streetcars, Rafts to Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island, Winnie The Pooh, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Snow White's Immersive Enchanted Wish Dream Experience 100, Peter Pan's Flight, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Gadget's Go Coaster)
B Tickets = 4 (Teacups, Dumbo, King Arthur's Carousel, Astro Orbiter)

Disney California Adventure = 19 Rides
E Tickets = 5
(Soarin', Grizzly River Run, Chase-A-Baby, Radiator Springs Racers, Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout!)
D Tickets = 4 (Spiderman, Little Mermaid, Toy Story Midway Mania, Goofy's Sky School)
C Tickets = 8 (Golden Zephyr, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Silly Symphony Swings, Emotional Whirlwind, Fun Wheel, Luigi's Roadsters, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Monster's Inc.)
B Tickets = 2 (Jessie's Carousel, Red Car Trolley)

Walt Disney World Resort = 57 Rides

Magic Kingdom Park = 28 Rides

E Tickets = 7
(Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, it's a small world, Space Mountain)
D Tickets = 8 (Disney World Railroad, Little Mermaid, Tomorrowland Speedway, Liberty Square Riverboat, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, Carousel of Progress, Seven Dwarves Mine Train, PeopleMover)
C Tickets = 5 (Horse-Drawn Streetcars, Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island, Peter Pan's Flight, The Barnstormer, Winnie The Pooh)
B Tickets = 5 (Magic Carpets, Dumbo, Teacups, Regal Carousel, Astro Orbiter)

EPCOT Center = 12 Rides
E Tickets = 6
(Spaceship Earth, Journey Into Imagination, Cosmic Rewind, Mission Space, Test Track, Soarin')
D Tickets = 4 (Living With The Land Boat Ride, Gran Fiesta Tour, Frozen Ever After, Remy's Rat Adventure)
C Tickets = 2(FriendShip Boats, The Seas With Nemo Omnimover))

Disney's Hollywood Studios = 9 Rides
E Tickets = 6
(Star Wars Rise Before Dawn, Millennium Falcon Target Run, Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, Star Tours, Rock N' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror)
D Tickets = 2 (Slinky Dog Coaster, Midway Mania)
C Tickets = 1 (Alien Swirling Saucers)

Disney's Animal Kingdom = 8 Rides
E Tickets = 5
(Flight of Passage, Kilimanjaro Safari, Kali River Rapids, Expedition Everest, DINOSAUR)
D Tickets = 2 (Navi River Journey, Train to Conservation Station)
C Ticket = 1 (Triceratop Spin)

Later this summer, the Tron coaster will finally open at Magic Kingdom Park. That will bring the Magic Kingdom tally up to 29 rides, and the WDW tally up to 58 rides. Still short of that little, tiny locals-only park called Disneyland Resort. šŸ¤”
You're counting the Monorail for Anaheim but not for Orlando? In Orlando, it's several times longer and goes through a park (EPCOT), and connects two parks.

You do that and throw in TRON and then Anaheim and Orlando are even!

TP2000

Original Poster
You're counting the Monorail for Anaheim but not for Orlando? In Orlando, it's several times longer and goes through a park (EPCOT), and connects two parks.

You do that and throw in TRON and then Anaheim and Orlando are even!

See, this is why the monorail always causes problems. šŸ¤£

The difference is that the monorail at WDW is located outside of the theme parks. You can't access it when you are in a theme park, and you can't get directly into a theme park by exiting the monorail.

At Disneyland, it has a station inside the park itself and you can just ride around on it through the spaghetti bowl of track in Tomorrowland and zip through DCA on it. If you don't want to get off at Downtown Disney, you don't have to, and it takes you back to Tomorrowland right inside the park. Thus, it's a ride inside a theme park.

But the point is valid on counting one monorail but not the other. What set me over the edge is that the FriendShip (singular) which is now reduced to a one-way shuttle between Canada and Morocco counts as a ride at Epcot. If Epcot gets the FriendShip (singular) as a ride, then Disneyland should get the Monorail. And Disneyland's Monorail is arguably the better deal of those two "rides".

TP2000

Original Poster
Setting the monorail aside...

Look again at that ride tally for DHS and DAK. How badly do those two parks stink?!? o_O

And Magic Kingdom Park is still a dozen rides short of Disneyland. Will it ever catch up? I doubt it. How could it?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
See, this is why the monorail always causes problems. šŸ¤£

The difference is that the monorail at WDW is located outside of the theme parks. You can't access it when you are in a theme park, and you can't get directly into a theme park by exiting the monorail.

At Disneyland, it has a station inside the park itself and you can just ride around on it through the spaghetti bowl of track in Tomorrowland and zip through DCA on it. If you don't want to get off at Downtown Disney, you don't have to, and it takes you back to Tomorrowland right inside the park. Thus, it's a ride inside a theme park.

But the point is valid on counting one monorail but not the other. What set me over the edge is that the FriendShip (singular) which is now reduced to a one-way shuttle between Canada and Morocco counts as a ride at Epcot. If Epcot gets the FriendShip (singular) as a ride, then Disneyland should get the Monorail. And Disneyland's Monorail is arguably the better deal of those two "rides".

Well, Orlando's Monorail could be seen as a ride that is free... no ticket required (even tho, at one time, it was a ticketed pay-for ride)?

Orlando's Skyliner would be another free ride. As well as all the other types of boats on Crescent Lake, Bay Lake, and Seven Seas Lagoon.

And are canoes a ride when you have to propel yourselves? That'd make wheelchairs a ride.

And is Carousel of Progress a ride when it barely noticeably rotates?

Or maybe put "transportation" in its own category?

Or give each parks' "score" as a range based on a stringent to lax definition of ride ("Park A has 55-58 rides").

Don't worry, tho, Anaheim will win again when they get the Avengers E-Ticket!

TP2000

Original Poster
Well, Orlando's Monorail could be seen as a ride that is free... no ticket required (even tho, at one time, it was a ticketed pay-for ride)?

Orlando's Skyliner would be another free ride. As well as all the other types of boats on Crescent Lake, Bay Lake, and Seven Seas Lagoon.

And are canoes a ride when you have to propel yourselves? That'd make wheelchairs a ride.

And is Carousel of Progress a ride when it barely noticeably rotates?

Or maybe put "transportation" in its own category?

Or give each parks' "score" as a range based on a stringent to lax definition of ride ("Park A has 55-58 rides").

Don't worry, tho, Anaheim will win again when they get the Avengers E-Ticket!

All valid questions, at least after the second drink of the evening.

But way over my pay grade as a humble online fan who overthrew Michael Eisner and elevated Bog Iger to his rightful place on the throne (Twice!) and was the ghost writer for all of Mr. Lutz's stuff for two decades.

I'm just going to stick to lists and circa 1982 ticket classifications. And Disneyland still wins.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Look again at that ride tally for DHS and DAK. How badly do those two parks stink?!?
I'm presuming that the short list of rides for DHS, DAK, and EP is because those parks were intended to be more than just a ride-centric park.
  • DAK is also a zoo.
  • EP is also a World's Fair and festival center
  • DHS is supposed to be also a working studio with shows.
DHS is the real stinker because it's no longer a working studio and it doesn't have a full complement of shows.

The ride tallies would be less of a problem at WDW if Park Hopping was free, or, at least, not that expensive.

And I'm presuming that WDW thinks the situation is OK, because the new rides put into "the other parks" tend to be mega-dollar E or D Ticket affairs.

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm presuming that the short list of rides for DHS, DAK, and EP is because those parks were intended to be more than just a ride-centric park.
  • DAK is also a zoo.
  • EP is also a World's Fair and festival center
  • DHS is supposed to be also a working studio with shows.
DHS is the real stinker because it's no longer a working studio and it doesn't have a full complement of shows.

The ride tallies would be less of a problem at WDW if Park Hopping was free, or, at least, not that expensive.

And I'm presuming that WDW thinks the situation is OK, because the new rides put into "the other parks" tend to be mega-dollar E or D Ticket affairs.

You kind of already addressed this, but DHS stopped being a working studio sometime during the early years of the Clinton administration.

Epcot hasn't been a World's Fair concept since the later years of the Clinton administration. But if by "festival center" you mean a place for off-duty Jungle Cruise skippers and cubicle drones from Celebration to sign themselves into the park for free and then get noticeably drunk off of beverages made of cheap vodka and high fructose corn syrup while navigating around only slightly more sober tourists, then sure.
It's a Festival Center now! :rolleyes:

As for DAK being a zoo, yes it is. It's a pleasant one at that. But as for being a theme park? It stinks at that part.

Centauri Space Station

You kind of already addressed this, but DHS stopped being a working studio sometime during the early years of the Clinton administration.

Epcot hasn't been a World's Fair concept since the later years of the Clinton administration. But if by "festival center" you mean a place for off-duty Jungle Cruise skippers and cubicle drones from Celebration to sign themselves into the park for free and then get noticeably drunk off of beverages made of cheap vodka and high fructose corn syrup while navigating around only slightly more sober tourists, then sure.
It's a Festival Center now! :rolleyes:

As for DAK being a zoo, yes it is. It's a pleasant one at that. But as for being a theme park? It stinks at that part.
DAK is one of the most detailed parks in the US. Itā€™s all mini villages that work together. Kali is advertised as a River Expedition in the Everest queue, the safari and walking trail interact in its own fictional village of Harambe, Pandora is its own world. Does it need more rides? Absolutely. Can you spend the day there? Again absolutely. As for Epcot, World showcase is still about culture and each pavilion is full of details with shows, exhibits, shops, restaurants, entertainment and rides. Itā€™s no more about drunks than DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom