News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

epcotWSC

It was the stupid reboots box office and their belief “anything works for these dumb Star Wars fans”

They had an “event” movie - thank George because of all the hate for 15 years since the prequels. And made a bland reboot with no franchise direction in it. A dead end.

The box office collapsed after. People try to gloss it…but it dropped like a rock. Merch and marketing disaster longterm. That’s why you never mess it up.

And they built based on the solo “trilogy”…which no one ever wanted.

Now they’re stuck with decayland. Retheme it now…rip off the bandaid.

Ok…off of Star Wars. The fact it’s always true won’t convince the 5 holdouts in moms basement who won’t believe their sweet Bobby and Kathy messed up 😎
All they had to do was take the best aspects of the extended universe and make movies from it. I've never read the stuff, but I've read snippets about the storylines and they seem compelling enough. At least they would have had a blueprint of where to take the stories and some source material to work with. Star Wars is also one of those franchises (like many established franchises) that you should never ever let anyone but the biggest most rabid fans touch. You can't make "your own" Star Wars story. It has to fit the mold of everything that's come before it. Even the Old Republic stuff that takes place thousands of years before still needs to feel like it's part of the same universe and everything needs to make sense. When you get just run of the mill writers or whoever else and try to inject your own spin to it, you get a disaster.

SamusAranX

All they had to do was take the best aspects of the extended universe and make movies from it. I've never read the stuff, but I've read snippets about the storylines and they seem compelling enough. At least they would have had a blueprint of where to take the stories and some source material to work with. Star Wars is also one of those franchises (like many established franchises) that you should never ever let anyone but the biggest most rabid fans touch. You can't make "your own" Star Wars story. It has to fit the mold of everything that's come before it. Even the Old Republic stuff that takes place thousands of years before still needs to feel like it's part of the same universe and everything needs to make sense. When you get just run of the mill writers or whoever else and try to inject your own spin to it, you get a disaster.

No no, Kathleen Kennedy said they had "nothing" to go on when they started their ST plans. Nothing at all :rolleyes:

Midwest Elitist

I can analyze content for myself and make my own opinion on things. Though in one case, it's well known, also, and DOES feature in books, that George was incredibly generous with credit even for things that were undoubtedly his alone. That's why Leigh Brackett has a credit on Empire, despite nothing of Brackett's being used. But the vision, the guiding force, everything was George and George's alone in the first six films. Not just the prequels, but also the original trilogy.

And in the case of Disney era, just watching the content, thinking about, taking it in, analyzing it, it's clear how faithful it is to George's vision. The treatment is not the be-all, end-all that determines "George was ignored." Not to mention, it also shows how "history rhymes" as well as "Those who don't learn from the past are condemned to repeat it." This is the most logical and credible way the the timeline would unfold, and refusal to accept that shows a lot about these individuals.

Because well adjusted people can say, "I thought this would be different, but I was wrong," learn from it and grow with that intellectual honesty. Not scream and kick and wail and say "I'm right, they ruined it, they're heretics."
My God, the stuff you say borders on parody. Bruh, NO ONE defends the sequel movies. Rise of Skywalker is a slapstick comedy. TLJ actually made people fuming mad. TFA was ok, but it was ANH with some changes. And then they'd decided "these interesting characters shouldn't be interesting" because China or whatever.

They had too many ideological heads conflicting, and it destroyed the (main) franchise.

Midwest Elitist

I know it's pre Disney but episodes 1-3 has always bugged me. You had the opportunity to tell the story of the greatest villain of all time and completely screwed it up.
Sure, but like everything George Lucas has touched, the world building is very, very good. He's basically like Bethesda Game Studios: the worlds they come up with are incredible, but the stories that take place are shoddy.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My God, the stuff you say borders on parody. Bruh, NO ONE defends the sequel movies. Rise of Skywalker is a slapstick comedy. TLJ actually made people fuming mad. TFA was ok, but it was ANH with some changes. And then they'd decided "these interesting characters shouldn't be interesting" because China or whatever.

They had too many ideological heads conflicting, and it destroyed the (main) franchise.
What's wrong with Marysue and a completely throw-away character plus other minor characters who should have stayed minor and not had a larger role? Not to mention JJ throwing away what would have been a guaranteed hit by having the main three characters appear at the same time in some kind of reunion storyline while launching a new generation of Rebels. What the LSG gave us was much, much better. Isn't it?

If anyone wants to talk about Kathleen Kennedy and unforgivable sins, the creation of the Lucasfilm Story Group is the one that should be at the top of the mountain, all alone for everyone to take shots at.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

…pay no mind to what the inexperienced children say 🍼

rio

The best thing about the Last Jedi was that it did something different. It’s simply the best of the NT.

Whether you agree with it or not, they created a situation where the rebel alliance couldn’t run away and was so hopelessly outgunned it didn’t make sense to fight. With a decent amount of bad decision making incurred because of the leader’s own ineptitude and pride. Expansions on force powers honestly felt natural too.

I will admit though, the gambling plot line was pointless, opening on your mom jokes was dumb, it didn’t connect to the other films, and in the end felt like a Star Trek story. I wished more of the trilogy was like that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The best thing about the Last Jedi was that it did something different. It’s simply the best of the NT.

Whether you agree with it or not, they created a situation where the rebel alliance couldn’t run away and was so hopelessly outgunned it didn’t make sense to fight. With a decent amount of bad decision making incurred because of the leader’s own ineptitude and pride. Expansions on force powers honestly felt natural too.

I will admit though, the gambling plot line was pointless, opening on your mom jokes was dumb, it didn’t connect to the other films, and in the end felt like a Star Trek story. I wished more of the trilogy was like that.
Star wars worked because the originals were groundbreaking, cohesive and the simple story compelling with good characters

The last Johnson had no consideration of that.

Some things you can improve by “twisting”…Star wars is NOT one of those things.

The biggest mistake in maybe Hollywood history…because if you left the Jedi thing alone…at least there was a tie that binds across all different eras and types of fandom.

How about this: I do a movie and call it “The Pope explores Islam”

I’d surely “subvert expectations”, wouldn’t I?

Sometimes you Wade into “don’t go there” country

Last edited:

Mmoore29

The projection of you people. There's lots of people who defend the sequel movies. They just know better than to get involved with the likes of you, knowing you'll never be swayed. And I certainly am not here seeking to convert people, because I know there's no reasoning with you. I'm just leaving a paper trail for the truth, so it isn't lost.

Br0ckford

The projection of you people. There's lots of people who defend the sequel movies. They just know better than to get involved with the likes of you, knowing you'll never be swayed. And I certainly am not here seeking to convert people, because I know there's no reasoning with you. I'm just leaving a paper trail for the truth, so it isn't lost.
night what do you mean GIF

SamusAranX

The Thrawn trilogy would have killed it. It had new characters Disney could have spun off on their own as well as the OGs that would have satisfied OT fans.
Agreed. Didn’t need to be beat for beat, and could have had characters that were original creations, but that was a wealth of base material to jump from, among other EU properties

SamusAranX

Paper trail of truth? What are you, a preacher?

SamusAranX

The writers actually painted themselves into a corner on this. With the dumb slow motion chase through space. Cmon. They should have been wiped out before even sniffing salt in the air at Crait but contrivance after contrivance was added. Then the holdo maneuver, while visually stunning, opened a can of worms that they even had to add a pithy line in IX to hand wave why it could never be used again. “Somehow, palpatine returned, and somehow we can’t do that thing anymore that can wipe out a whole Imperial - errr I mean first order fleet.”

seabreezept813

It’s still mind boggling really. 1. Pick the least loved trilogy by a mile and 2. Set it in a planet and environment nobody knows or has a fan attachment too.

Imagine if Universal had set HP in some place that never existed in its own universe, and had a one line mention in a book. Aye carumba
That’s my overall problem with Rise, it’s genius and amazing with its detail and design. But I come off without any type of emotional reaction. And I’m not even a Star Wars “fan”. If the references and characters in Star Tours mixed with Rise, I would feel differently.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know it's pre Disney but episodes 1-3 has always bugged me. You had the opportunity to tell the story of the greatest villain of all time and completely screwed it up.
That’s just because George became corporate. Which all his director buddies go on camera (notably Stevie and Frank) and claim he never was to this day…

…but the shade thrown by Kurtz, kershner, even ford for 40 years finger it…

George as he ran a billion dollar empire lost his chops - if he ever had them? - to write and direct.
Phantom movie and attack of the Walmart toy isle were ATROCIOUS. If George hadn’t paid to make them himself I fully believe every studio in Hollywood would have rejected them in short order.

So Disney had the chance - knowing the mistake - to learn from it and completely botched it trying to compensate. A reboot. No one EVER thought a reboot was a good idea outside the dwarf boardroom. And they try to lie/excuse their way out of it to Gen X. 😂
That dog don’t hunt.

It’s like a pilot who rolled the plane all the way over to the left let’s the Co-pilot take over and he rolls it all the way over to the right to compensate.

This is really not that hard.

Midwest Elitist

That’s just because George became corporate. Which all his director buddies go on camera (notably Stevie and Frank) and claim he never was to this day…

…but the shade thrown by Kurtz, kershner, even ford for 40 years finger it…

George as he ran a billion dollar empire lost his chops - if he ever had them? - to write and direct.
Phantom movie and attack of the Walmart toy isle were ATROCIOUS. If George hadn’t paid to make them himself I fully believe every studio in Hollywood would have rejected them in short order.

So Disney had the chance - knowing the mistake - to learn from it and completely botched it trying to compensate. A reboot. No one EVER thought a reboot was a good idea outside the dwarf boardroom. And they try to lie/excuse their way out of it to Gen X. 😂
That dog don’t hunt.

It’s like a pilot who rolled the plane all the way over to the left let’s the Co-pilot take over and he rolls it all the way over to the right to compensate.

This is really not that hard.
Ugh, the thing is that while it's not as good as ANY of the OT, Revenge of the Sith was good and if the other prequel movies were that quality at least, it would be a less memable trilogy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom