News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

SamusAranX

Lucas isn’t a fan of Eisner on the whole…and It’s not likely he’s a huge fan of Kennedy either

…but
1. He’s semi retired
2. There’s a Hollywood “power structure” that benefits him while it’s maintained (ironically)
3. When he’s not retired…quietly LFL has basically run home to him (don’t expect anyone in a nametag to admit it)
4. Disney has managed to vindicate him
Weren’t there some rumors floating awhile back that Lucas did regret selling to Disney after seeing the pile of burning wreckage Disney left the ST in?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Did old Fox executives from the 70s and 80s launch/back a proxy fight?

Of course we could also look at some of Perlmutter’s other views as a possible reason for why Lucas would not be keen to support him.
Which brings us back to the topic at hand

Getting Lucas to back Bob reeks of desperation

He’s far more nervous that I thought he’d be…what don’t we know?

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member

This is Iger's ego on defense.

Iger has never been put in a position of having to so publicly defend his record. Peltz has NO shot to do anything at the company, but the only thing he can do, is publicly shine the light on Iger's missteps.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is Iger's ego on defense.

Iger has never been put in a position of having to so publicly defend his record. Peltz has NO shot to do anything at the company, but the only thing he can do, is publicly shine the light on Iger's missteps.
Of course it is

And I think his worry is the same
Thing happening to him that happened in 2003/2004

Having his seat voted down to the point where the “right thing to do”
Is step down?

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
Of course it is

And I think his worry is the same
Thing happening to him that happened in 2003/2004

Having his seat voted down to the point where the “right thing to do”
Is step down?
The smart thing to do would be to be act as if Peltz didn’t exist, but every tactic Bob pulls only gives attention to Peltz that he otherwise wouldn’t have had.

Dranth

Let's be honest here, Iger could drink a glass of water and you would say it reeks of desperation.

It is entirely possible that Lucas just believes Iger and team is better for the stock/company than the alternatives. Much like many of us, that doesn't mean he thinks Iger is great or a savior, or even ideal, just the best of the current choices provided. Bottom line, if he still supports Iger after what was done to Star Wars under Disney, then he must REALLY hate the alternatives.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And yet- the Star Wars films and universe were far more successful while at Fox (previous home of the FF franchise)
Have you blocked out the memory of how poorly received the prequel trilogy was?

SW films under Disney did as about as well as under Fox.

1710872018244.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Let's be honest here, Iger could drink a glass of water and you would say it reeks of desperation.

It is entirely possible that Lucas just believes Iger and team is better for the stock/company than the alternatives. Much like many of us, that doesn't mean he thinks Iger is great or a savior, or even ideal, just the best of the current choices provided. Bottom line, if he still supports Iger after what was done to Star Wars under Disney, then he must REALLY hate the alternatives.
Probably..:.

But let’s be honest: Iger should never have been allowed to return. His time has passed.

The first doesn’t negate the second.

In fact…Bloomberg did a good piece on it yesterday…see what you think?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And remember: Lucas got bought out and PUSHED out at Disney. He’s got a little bit of the room he wanted as a sorta “strategic advisor” now…unofficially.

So he probably wouldn’t have made the same move again…he knows those movies were crap…he’s dabbled in crap before.

Dranth

Probably..:.

But let’s be honest: Iger should never have been allowed to return. His time has passed.

The first doesn’t negate the second.

In fact…Bloomberg did a good piece on it yesterday…see what you think?
Most of that article is just about how no one is going to be ready to be CEO. I agree with that but I thought the most interesting part was this:

"Companies are so resistant to take a chance on someone new these days that they just recycle the same people. This is why Hollywood’s movie studios are largely run by people in their 60s and 70s. This fear of risk also infects the product. Hello, sequels and reboots!"

Agree 1000000000000%. Nearly every company I have ever dealt with for the last 20 years has fallen into this trap however, it is the next paragraph that gives me some hope:

"There is some evidence that Disney is adapting. The company just elevated David Greenbaum, the co-head of Searchlight, to oversee a large chunk of its movie slate."

Along with this line about the top contenders for CEO:

"Current CEO Bob Iger is counseling them as well, especially in areas where they are less familiar."

Iger's skills (or lack thereof) aside, that tells me they are already doing a better job than last time. They are taking the time to legitimately plan this out. Looking at all levels and moving people around, dropping dead weight and most importantly, at the top, treating people seriously instead of viewing everyone as a threat.

No, we shouldn't have needed Iger part two but there is some evidence that there is at least an effort to do this right the second time around.

Casper Gutman

It’s not what you don’t know, it’s what you won’t or can’t acknowledge. Peltz is an existential threat to Disney, and any individual or entity with even a passing knowledge of him, Perlmutter, or the entertainment industry understands this.

You are so fanatically devoted to your incredibly narrow point of view that you would rather invent massive conspiracy theories and assume nefarious hidden motives and conspiratorial activities from hundreds of individuals rather then acknowledge that one man is EXACTLY what he appears to be. It’s not a unique position in modern America, unfortunately…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom