The Universal Dining Plan

draybook

Original Poster
Ok, so I know that they split it up between the Dining Plan and the Quick service plan. I also know that the Dining Plan is something you can only book when staying at an on-site resort. However, for some reason I can't see the Dining Plan on the list of add-ons. I can see and select the quick service plan, but not the regular plan. We're looking to stay at Loews Royal Pacific. Any ideas?

BigTxEars

I'm no help here. I thought Uni just had the single type plan. Buy it per day and eat all you want at the park (or parks if you buy both parks) that day. It's a day by day buy in other words as opposed to the DDP which is the "trip duration" buy in.

Curious to see what I leant here:)

draybook

Original Poster
Well, they launched the regular deal, with a table service, quick, snack and drink back in July of last year. It's only a 1 or 2 day plan, up to the consumer. We got it for free for two days while staying at a partner hotel. It seems that they split it into the regular plan and quick service plan in November, I think.

edit: looks like they just started the quick service plan in January.

BigTxEars

Well, they launched the regular deal, with a table service, quick, snack and drink back in July of last year. It's only a 1 or 2 day plan, up to the consumer. We got it for free for two days while staying at a partner hotel. It seems that they split it into the regular plan and quick service plan in November, I think.

edit: looks like they just started the quick service plan in January.

Good to know. I am a fan of dinning plans so this will help me in the future. I am not a fan of Uni's website, I just don't find it as easy as WDW's site. That is just booking and everything, everybody at Uni was great in person when we were there. I guess that is why I do not know as much about their dining plan as I do WDW's plan.

We did eat at Finnagans at US, it was as good TS meal. I bought some mixed drink based on the Mummy ride in a huge souvenir glass. :)

I am not even sure of all the places to eat at Uni. We ate at Circus McGukus (SP?), The place in the Jurrasic Park area (loved the view from the balcony eating area), the 3Bs at Potterland and I think a pizza place.

BigTxEars

Do you do the dining plans for budgeting reasons? I don't really see a savings :confused: and the locations seem limited.

I really do it so I do not have to worry about budgeting or money or anything like that all week. It's just nicer for me to not have to think about any of that during my vacation. If it cost more then I am fine with that. Now WDW DDP is way better IMO as it gives you vastly more choices. We did the Uni plan when we did Uni for 2 days, when we did UNI for a week we did not do the dinning plan, as you said it was too limited in choices.

danpam1024

gotcha ;). It is a PITA when the bank shuts of my credit cards because I'm "in Orlando" and they assume it was stolen (even though I TELL them EVERY time we go!):mad: I guess that would help me out in those situations!

RTeker

It's not that convenient, the food isn't that good, and the savings aren't that great unless you are traveling with a teenager who has a bottomless pit of a stomach.
true there arn't too many good convenient options BUT there are some good choices such as the following;
In Uni side there is Mel's Drive-in Monsters Cafe (I list that cause they had lasagna) and Richter's Burger Co. (customize burgers with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and onions)
In IoA The Burger Digs, Comic Strip Cafe (chili dogs :D)

Plus with that meal deal, if you get something thats awful, you don't have to finish it you can trash it and go back to the counter and get something else. so if not for you at least hook your kids up on it cause they can be picky eaters, I sure was when I was a kid lol

BigTxEars

Burger Digs is pretty good, I like it and I love eating on the balcony. Just a wonderful view of the IOA. Love it, I recommend it to anyone who has not done it. Circus McGurkus was cool too with the ride going thru it. The Monster place looked cool, did not eat there but looked cool.

I disagree with it it not being convenient, it certainly is for us. Not having to worry about a budget is very relaxing. And of course on any type of meal that is all you can eat the more you shovel in the better the deal is. But even with our lighter eaters I never felt like we got ripped off. And we had a bottomless pit to offset if we did :)

To me the things with all of these meal plans is how they effect you on the trip.

1. Normally looks at a price on a meal and lets that influence rather you order it or not. Worries about how to "stay on budget" each day of the trip. If so then a meal plan is great because that does not matter with a meal plan, get what you want regardless of price.

2. As you eat on the meal plan you are doing mathematical calculations to determine how much the meal plan cost you per meal per person and then working out how much the meal on the table in front of you would have cost OOP. Then trying to see if you "got you money's worth" from the dinning plan or not. Doing that removes the entire purpose of the dining plan for me. To relax and not worry about it.

3. Buys the dining plan, knows the money is already spent thus it does not matter if it was "wise" or not. The money is gone. Eats like a freaking pig and does not worry all week about the "budget" as eating does not effect it at all other than the tip.

I am number 3 all the way. Might not be the best "use" of my money but what ever money I "waste" on the dinning plan comes back to me easily in piece of mind on the trip.

Now only if they had a "drinking" plan, ah yes pre paid booze is the next evolution of immersion for me!

BigTxEars

It seems quite a few of you don't realize the old "All you can eat"/limited restaurant plan was done away with quite some time ago. The only current in park option is this: https://www.universalorlando.com/Restaurants/Universal-Dining-Plan-Quick-Service.aspx

The newer plan that includes table service must be pre-purchased with a vacation package: https://www.universalorlando.com/Restaurants/Universal-Dining-Plan.aspx

Was not aware so basically they just copied the DDP, that works for us :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom