The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
So @WDW1974, will Flower St swallow its pride and rehire the veteran imagineers it fired to help Bob on SDL?

Oh. c'mon ... really?!?!?!

Like I said, I worry about Bob's ability to maintain his health thru this project. BTW, I wonder when the construction 'issues' that SDL is dealing with are going to appear in mainstream media. ... Or is Zenia Mucha and Co. just going to make sure that doesn't happen? My guess is she isn't! :D:devilish::greedy::cool:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Thought about starting another thread on this, but then realized why ... it works just fine here, so here we are just four weeks from the start of FY '15 for TWDC and I'm wondering where all the NGE fanbois are?

Remember when MAGIC Bands were going to be the new Potter Swatter? (OK, the bands and the kiddie coaster at MK) Remember how NGE was going to revolutionize the theme park business, not to mention drive people to plan MAGICal WDW vacations? Remember how this tech was going to make trips better for all guests AND -- most importantly -- raise revenue by a minimum of 11% annually?

Is it too late to say ''I won't say I told you so, but I did see this coming?''

Is there anyone here who wants to claim I was wrong? Or that I still am? Anyone want to claim that Disney's business model is smarter than Comcast's? Anyone want to, at the very least, make an excuse that we really need ti wait 3-5 years more to judge this disaster?

And, please, feel free to ignore the price increases (in tix, food, merchandise etc.), the entertainment cuts, the limited hours of some attractions and dining locations, the need to DVC any and every lodging on property (wait until Cindy's Castle becomes the ultimate villa!), the addition of upcharge events (some within existing events) almost weekly and, coming soon, 'special people' lounges and Club 33 in WDW (I'd name it Club 69 myself, but I am a naughty Spirit) when defending it.

Seriously ... anyone want to defend it?

I am sure someone will come along to defend Disney on this. :cautious:

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's hard for me to tell the difference between air travel and Walt Disney World.

• Declining quality.
  • Food.
  • Entertainment.
  • Ticket prices.
  • Charging stations.
  • Long waits.
  • Delays.
  • Record profits.
  • Overcomplicated websites.
  • Security.
  • Transportation to and from.
  • Fees.
  • Upcharges.
  • Being adjacent to a smelly/loud/annoying/inconsiderate person.
  • Lost baggage.

Scary, as all of those but two definitely have been part of my recent WDW visits. (So far, they haven't lost my luggage ... and I don't really give two hoots about charging stations as the whole point of visiting WDW is to shut off the real world -- at least that's what the fanbois say -- not connect to it!)

bhg469

Scary, as all of those but two definitely have been part of my recent WDW visits. (So far, they haven't lost my luggage ... and I don't really give two hoots about charging stations as the whole point of visiting WDW is to shut off the real world -- at least that's what the fanbois say -- not connect to it!)
The more planning they force on me, the more I hate it, yes HATE. Restaurant reservations months in advance are one thing, but rides? Never.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am sure someone will come along to defend Disney on this. :cautious:

I just am looking for someone to do so ... someone who isn't a troll and has an ounce of intelligence.

When is it fair to say that while some of this stuff is OK and some of us (myself included) are able to game this system to enable my perfect 4-5 hour visits where I spend nothing and still do 5-12 things I want to, that it isn't what it was supposed to be, likely never will be and has had an awful effect on the entire WDW experience and the value of it?

When? If not now ... how about March of 2015 ... or December of 2016 ... or April of 2017? Seriously, when can we say that this disaster shouldn't have been Disney's focus since 2008?

WDW1974

Original Poster
The last day of my trip in Nov opened up following the Festival of the Masters cancellation. Considered taking a day trip to Uni until I saw that prices for a 1 day ticket. Why any park *Disney included* would charge that much for a 1 day pass is beyond me. Back to the drawing board.

Again, they do it because a great deal of guests at WDW ... and at UNI ... and at almost any theme park in the USA actually buy one day tickets. If they didn't, like some online crazies believe, then why would there be any motivation to raise those prices? Much better to add $22 to the cost of a 5-day pass than $4 to the price of a one day, right? Nope.

FWIW, I don't think it is ever 'worth it' to buy one-day tix at the big 'name' parks ... I did it once at DL for a last-minute Christmas visit in 2011 (it was $80 for one park, today it would be $96, btw!) because I couldn't get walked in, but it just really isn't worth it.

If you were rich like @ParentsOf4, then you would have bought like three months worth of 10-day, no expire tickets a decade ago and use them very slowly!

WDW1974

Original Poster
When you think about it, WDW is charging people for a view. Do people really go to the dessert parties, etc for the food? No, IMO, they know that these events are the only way they'll get a good view of the fireworks/show. That's certainly why I've forked over the money to participate in the past. Over the years, all of my best viewing spots have been taken over by restaurants or special viewing.

But as the special events/viewing areas become more crowded (and more expensive) they have lost their appeal - at least for me. The first Christmas parties/ Halloween parties/ Food & Wine Festivals which I attended were wonderful. They aren't worth it, to me, anymore.

The parties were great when they started. They even 'plussed' them over the first few years. ... Then ... well, they started cutting back something each year, while prices went up and discounts went down. That's simply part of their big business model: keep charging more while giving guests less.

Since many of their adult chronics are thrilled to get paper cutouts of Olaf on a stick, you can't blame them for this, can you?

And Food and Wine was such a joy for its first decade or so ... free tastings ... samples priced for less than a value meal at McD's ... quality ... now? It's great for people to come and get drunk (HINT: you can do it for much less daily at UNI!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Chicken. Starbucks. College football on the teevee. And MAGIC.

Who says I don't know how to celebrate Labor Day Weekend?

BTW, despite Disney having a MNSSHP on Monday night for the O-Town no-lifer Lifestylers, please realize that Halloween is a fall event and fall doesn't start for over three weeks. Thanks for listening to this Spirited public service announcement.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Not kewl.

But there are a lot of sick individuals out there. ... I admit that I still don't get gaming. I might enjoy playing one of @flynnibus 's 324 pinball machines, but video games were something I played in my teens and into my 20s and then I ... well ... grew up.

It sure seems like game manufacturers see more of an audience in the 24-49 demo than the 12-23 ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Priced out in the sense that I don't feel it's worth the money. Could I afford it? Yes. Will I purchase it? Only under very special circumstances.

But there are guests who could easily afford WDW in the past who are being priced out.

This argument comes up all the time and I repeat that when WDW was a vastly better run, better quality product in the 70s, 80s and 90s, it was vastly more affordable to vastly more people. ... I know @ParentsOf4 has done numerous posts on this (you don't need a fresh one, feel free to repost an old one that I am sure you have archived close by!)

WDW was almost cheap before Eisner and Wells took over and was fairly priced for almost all of the former's tenure. I would argue the total gouging of guests started in MDE's final few years and has been the rule of the day for Iger's entire tenure.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You should... it's a really great drama that only suffers from two flaws
1) You must binge watch... not enough is exposed in 1hr blocks
2) You'll love the books even more

I really have found that binge-watching isn't for me. I guess I'm an old fart (even if I think you've got some years on me ... although @englanddg thinks I'm 60-something, which is quite amusing!) but I like 'appointment TV' ... like sitting down at a certain time and watching the content fresh and not on a computer.

You don't seem like a book reader type.. but I would highly recommend it.

Um ... I don't know whether the goal was to put me down or entice me to read (or both) ... but I love to read books. But my next goal in that department is to read the Potter series since I never have and have grown fond of the films and theme park product.

The TV show is not just 'another LOTR' - its far more focused as a drama piece (they don't even show the majority of the fights in the early seasons) and one that is highly addicting.

I've never seen LoTR. I've never read any of the books. I have very little interest.

WDW1974

Original Poster
While Disney prices are outrageous, egregious, and manifestly unjust (Jackie Chiles!), it's interesting to note that the relative percentage increase between '74 and '84 (14.3%) is actually fairly close to the relative percentage increase between '04 and '14 (15.6%).

The increases between '84 and '94 (113%!) and '94 and '04 (32.6%) are where things went really freakin' whacko. Inflation and minimum wage rates obviously play a role here, but still...

Disney's admission prices were considered vastly underpriced when MDE and FW took over. Hell, I think parking was either 75 cents or $1.00 at the time. They had plenty of room to raise prices.

And, to be fair, while those prices were increasing they were investing billions into WDW in tangible ways ... you know, not like plastic tracking bracelets for your wrist.

danv3

Thought about starting another thread on this, but then realized why ... it works just fine here, so here we are just four weeks from the start of FY '15 for TWDC and I'm wondering where all the NGE fanbois are?

Remember when MAGIC Bands were going to be the new Potter Swatter? (OK, the bands and the kiddie coaster at MK) Remember how NGE was going to revolutionize the theme park business, not to mention drive people to plan MAGICal WDW vacations? Remember how this tech was going to make trips better for all guests AND -- most importantly -- raise revenue by a minimum of 11% annually?

At some point, surely, analysts will start hammering Iger and Rasulo about the lack of any revenue growth attributable to MM+, right?

Mike S

I really have found that binge-watching isn't for me. I guess I'm an old fart (even if I think you've got some years on me ... although @englanddg thinks I'm 60-something, which is quite amusing!) but I like 'appointment TV' ... like sitting down at a certain time and watching the content fresh and not on a computer.

Um ... I don't know whether the goal was to put me down or entice me to read (or both) ... but I love to read books. But my next goal in that department is to read the Potter series since I never have and have grown fond of the films and theme park product.

I've never seen LoTR. I've never read any of the books. I have very little interest.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You won't be disappointed. I've read the whole series twice.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I can't watch the stuff on a computer. I download it and them watch it on my big screen via streaming via the bluray player or TV. If you look into 'plex' it's a pretty solid streaming app for your computer that allows you to watch your content even while not at home.

Binge for me means to watch 2-4hrs of episodes in a row. The problem is I find myself going to bed at like 3am when I should have been in bed hours ago.. but the show is so riveting I can't put it down and stay awake longer. When it does that to me, I know it's a good product.

Um ... I don't know whether the goal was to put me down or entice me to read (or both) ... but I love to read books.

Good to hear - many people think they are 'too busy' or 'don't have time' to sit down and read books. My words were only inferring that you may find a lack of time to do so.

But my next goal in that department is to read the Potter series since I never have and have grown fond of the films and theme park product.

Worth a read, but not life altering. The first two books really do play out like youth books, but they get more serious later in the series.

My point is that its not D&D fantasy stuff really. yes, that is the setting, and includes major plot twists, but the 'fantasy' portion of the subject is more about the placement of the story and characters... the gripping part is really the characters and their adventures. You shouldn't hold back thinking 'I don't do D&D fantasy'. The same story could probably be retold in Renaissance Europe... or the 1600s.

The books are fantastic. The first few seasons of HBO's version suffer from a bit of 'Hey, we are HBO.. we flaunt nudity and sexuality just because we can!' over zealousness.. but once you get over that.. damn it gets good. GoT and Breaking Bad both got me watching scripted TV again.

bhg469

Not kewl.

But there are a lot of sick individuals out there. ... I admit that I still don't get gaming. I might enjoy playing one of @flynnibus 's 324 pinball machines, but video games were something I played in my teens and into my 20s and then I ... well ... grew up.

It sure seems like game manufacturers see more of an audience in the 24-49 demo than the 12-23 ...
What they did was most likely tweens, they're brutal. I can tell you with a 100% straight face, some games have better story lines than any movie out, only you participate in its entire plot. This isn't the case for all games or the reasons all people of all ages play video games but as a 35 year old I am a huge fan of story driven games or digital entertainment as some call it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom