The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Except we're talking about July. Traditionally the #4 week of the year, and a couple more top 10 weeks as well. I agree that in another week, numbers will drop even further.

As for the heat, I think Blizzard has gone to capacity exactly once this Summer, and WDW had no concerns as using it as the de facto Poly pool. Even water parks seem to be underperforming.

The way I see it... Disney's 'event' policy is working in bringing people down to those classically lower periods. The question is, are they shifting people, or adding people?

asianway

The way I see it... Disney's 'event' policy is working in bringing people down to those classically lower periods. The question is, are they shifting people, or adding people?
The only people getting added are the pixie brigade who goes 10x a year anytime some minutiae changes. Maybe the OCD runner or two. Other than that, shifting demand

flynnibus

Premium Member
The only people getting added are the pixie brigade who goes 10x a year anytime some minutiae changes. Maybe the OCD runner or two. Other than that, shifting demand

Which.. for Disney on an operational cost... is a win. Stop having to pay extra to operate the place at 110% capacity.. instead move the needle more towards you optimum operating ranges so it costs you less.. and then bring up the periods that were below your optimum operating band. Oh, and get to charge people extra for showing up in the off-season! Brilliant!

asianway

Which.. for Disney on an operational cost... is a win. Stop having to pay extra to operate the place at 110% capacity.. instead move the needle more towards you optimum operating ranges so it costs you less.. and then bring up the periods that were below your optimum operating band. Oh, and get to charge people extra for showing up in the off-season! Brilliant!
Exactly what they are shooting for-the fall will show the take of the tape. As I understand it, Epcot on Saturday during food & wine is starting to become intolerable

Nubs70

Which is a proper application of Lean Management. The charging extra... not so much.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Which is a proper application of Lean Management. The charging extra... not so much.

??

Lean is about adapting, enpowering, being agile, eliminating waste.

Cost savings come from less waste and resulting 'better' output.

Reduced costs is an outcome of lean principles... Reducing costs is not a lean principle itself.

Shifting and manipulating customer demand to off periods isn't really about driving customer value. It's a selfish motivation of Disney.

dupac

Reminds me of line balancing...

71jason

Exactly what they are shooting for-the fall will show the take of the tape. As I understand it, Epcot on Saturday during food & wine is starting to become intolerable

Starting? Has been for at least 2 - 3 years.

And crowds Marathon weekend pretty much dwarf what I've seen at EPCOT this Summer.

So I agree Flynnibus has a point. But this isn't just WDW. The whole discussion started with Universal, and Sea World has been running third-off weekday ticket promos indicating they aren't packing in guests this Summer either.

Cesar R M

So the new UK blu-ray of Sleeping Beauty is just another printing of the 2008 disc...except one instead of two...and with the same commericals as before. Including the teaser for Princess and the Frog with a 2009 release date.

Another high quality release from the company's home video division.
sadly, its not only disney who does this.

just check blu-ray's official site about releases.
they keep releasing craploads of versions every month!
"deluxe", "platinum", "hardened", "ultimate", "collector's", "director's cut","theatrical version", "steel box version", "diamond" .
They will soon bring the ridiculous "Mamba jamba deluxe ultra turbo edition"

Cesar R M

tumblr_mx05ogrmaP1rfwfq9o1_1280.jpg
We do not talk about that monstrosity.

@danlb_2000 what do you think?

my money is on more DVC buildings.

Sped2424

Except Howard the Duck is substantially funnier and fits the absurdity of the world better than Figment.

The only reason Figment would be in it is because of Disney. And that's a terrible reason.
And howard is only there due to his relation with marvel, so wouldn't that be a terrible reason?

Sped2424

You do realize he was a Marvel comic book before being made into a movie right? It wasn't absurd, it was a Marvel cameo.
WHAT HE WAS A COMIC BOOK SERieS? HOLD THE PRESSES. I actually have a couple of his old comics laying around here somewhere, I just mentioned something I thought would be cool and look at the reaction on here.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Monday Afternoon Quickees:

So, FP+ shows no availability for Maelstrom just in time for the new fiscal year to begin ... and Disney is kindly selling special tees of the attraction online. Put two plus two plus the Spirited information given you together and reach your own conclusion.

Tom Wolber is announced as Euro Disney's new CEO just the same day he officiates the opening of the Four Seasons (or ribbon-cutting). Coincidence? Reach your own conclusion.

The fact that Lifestylers have been part of that whole opening does make me vomit just a tad. I know I'd want my 5-star resort shilled by people who were going to live in their cars, won't pay for cable TV and demand to be refunded money when they order a Big Mac without cheese. Yes, Four Seasons, you are putting your faith in TWDC and perhaps you need to wake up and realize it isn't 1994 any longer.

There seems to be a profound lack of understanding my comments (and I do try to dumb them down to an 8th grade/USA level) regarding lack of crowds at UNI this summer. I am in NO WAY down on the resort at all (I couldn't really be much higher. I love their product and their commitment to excellence.) My statement is simply a realistic look at how this summer isn't all that great in O-Town at all. (And summer pretty much is considered over in the next week.)

This hasn't been a very busy summer for ANY O-Town park. That likely has more to do with our lousy economy and the murder of the American middle class by Wall Street and politicians than any theme park offerings.

As I sit here and type this it is pouring rain and 77 degrees out (cooled by said rain) ... I have had one day with no rain at all in the last two weeks. Most days it is cloudy and gloomy if not raining by noon. And, unlike in the decades before climate change became a factor, it doesn't really get better. Yet, I won't use weather as an excuse for park attendance. Americans take summer vacations because it is traditionally the only time they can get 1-2 weeks off and take the kids away. And that just seems to not have happened this year in traditional numbers (I can't wait for tomorrow's Disney earnings report, so someone can show me the error of my ways -- or attempt to!)

WDW may do nothing to express a summer season (the hastily thrown together 'Frozen Summer' at TPFKaTD-MGMS aside), but TDR does. Every year. Something different. Character shows/parades/merchandise/food offerings etc.

Great start for Guardians of the Galaxy. I'll be seeing it tomorrow. But no one is going to convince me that all these Disney fanbois were secretly Marvel fanbois in 1999 or 2004 or 2008. They weren't.

So, WDW is shilling Halloween merchandise in early August? No comment.

Remember when Tom 'Screens' Fitzgerald was given creative control of EPCOT for WDI all of the 'Big Things are About to Happen! Trust Tom and WDI!' blather? Yeah, I don't forget.

There seems to be an argument going on about WDW delaying or dragging out construction projects to save money or spread costs out and some people don't believe this. They're wrong. Flat out. Period. End of discussion.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

GiveMeTheMusic

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom