The Spirited Back Nine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I can answer that. Healthy options are heavily pushed in the cafeterias, with rewards like buy 9 healthy options, get one free. Of course that does not preclude anyone from ordering a double bacon cheeseburger with fries.
Calories for meals are posted as well, with today's "mindful" options always being pushed.

The double bacon cheeseburger is not too bad in itself as most calories are from fat and protein, The fries will add about 400-600 calories in starch though the 'soft drink' will add another 400 or so.

So the bacon cheeseburger with apple slices and water is actually quite a reasonable thing to eat.

Kman101

Starch and HFCS is going to pack on the pounds.

Honestly, people just need to remember "you are what you eat". Moderation, and a bit of physical activity goes a long way. I wish more people would become aware of what they're putting into their bodies. Now that's not saying I don't still pop open a soda but when you drink four or five a day, think about all the empty calories you put in yourself. But if you don't want to educate yourself, that's what happens. I use soda as an example because while I could probably lose a couple of pounds, it's noticable when I go from one soda a day to several throughout the day. I can easily see some weight gain.

BrerJon

I use soda as an example because while I could probably lose a couple of pounds, it's noticable when I go from one soda a day to several throughout the day. I can easily see some weight gain.

The main reason many Americans weigh substantially more than people in other countries, or Americans themselves did thirty years ago, is the combination of corn syrup and variations of sugar in everything, which just doesn't happen overseas where there's far more food regulation on health grounds, and soda as being the norm for drink, instead of an occasional treat. Add that up day after day and it mounts up fast.

Also corporations have convinced people that they need portion sizes far larger than they actually do, I've never heard a fast food restaurant say 'are you sure you need all that food?', but I've had them plenty of times say 'would you like to go large?'.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Honestly, people just need to remember "you are what you eat". Moderation, and a bit of physical activity goes a long way. I wish more people would become aware of what they're putting into their bodies. Now that's not saying I don't still pop open a soda but when you drink four or five a day, think about all the empty calories you put in yourself. But if you don't want to educate yourself, that's what happens. I use soda as an example because while I could probably lose a couple of pounds, it's noticable when I go from one soda a day to several throughout the day. I can easily see some weight gain.

I had a nutritional consult a while ago and it's really helped me lose weight not fat but I am above ideal weight, One interesting fact about coffee (which is my absolute FAVORITE beverage) is that it dehydrates you and causes weight gain (even without cream/sugar) because the body STORES calories when dehydrated.

So I've vastly increased my consumption of water and some green tea and with exercise the weight is moving back to the desired zone the other biggie was a huge reduction starches and supposedly healthy fruit juices(lots of fructose) from diet.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The main reason many Americans weigh substantially more than people in other countries, or Americans themselves did thirty years ago, is the combination of corn syrup and variations of sugar in everything, which just doesn't happen overseas where there's far more food regulation on health grounds, and soda as being the norm for drink, instead of an occasional treat. Add that up day after day and it mounts up fast.

Also corporations have convinced people that they need portion sizes far larger than they actually do, I've never heard a fast food restaurant say 'are you sure you need all that food?', but I've had them plenty of times say 'would you like to go large?'.

Agree and to which I just say NO - now when getting fast food I just get the burger/chicken and water I skip the fries and soft drink.

Kman101

I had a nutritional consult a while ago and it's really helped me lose weight not fat but I am above ideal weight, One interesting fact about coffee (which is my absolute FAVORITE beverage) is that it dehydrates you and causes weight gain (even without cream/sugar) because the body STORES calories when dehydrated.

So I've vastly increased my consumption of water and some green tea and with exercise the weight is moving back to the desired zone the other biggie was a huge reduction starches and supposedly healthy fruit juices(lots of fructose) from diet.

As I sip my wonderful coffee ... that's very very true. I can also tell a difference when I consume more water. That's an area I do well at somedays and other days don't. Most people probably don't consume anywhere near the amount of water they need, but you can also overdo it as well.

Starches, salts (extra salt not already on the food), sugars .... and fruit can cause weight gain, even if it's a healthier option. It's really so much about moderation and smart choices. I've made a lot of efforts over the last few years to be smarter about what I'm eating. I think many just don't want to know. It's eye opening when you start realizing the junk that we put in our bodies. I still eat a bunch of not-great-food&beverages, but it's about balance ...

Kman101

Spot on with the bold.

Portions in restaurants are insane. It's way too much and that's a big part of why America has a problem with obesity. Do you really need that gigantic tub of soda? And not to mention the addiction aspect of sugar. Most wouldn't even know they're addicted to it.

Kman101

Agree and to which I just say NO - now when getting fast food I just get the burger/chicken and water I skip the fries and soft drink.

I can't remember the last time I had fries eating out. I notice this "you must EAT" trend with even my mom who acts shocked at no fries. She's not overweight by any means but there's this need to think we aren't getting enough food if we don't have a big tray of fries on our plate. Of course there can be more healthier fries, potatoes aren't awful, it's the grease and frying. Which is another thing ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can't remember the last time I had fries eating out. I notice this "you must EAT" trend with even my mom who acts shocked at no fries. She's not overweight by any means but there's this need to think we aren't getting enough food if we don't have a big tray of fries on our plate. Of course there can be more healthier fries, potatoes aren't awful, it's the grease and frying. Which is another thing ...

What I make at home are Rutabaga fries, Cut up a large rutabaga into fry shaped bits, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 425 for 30 minutes or until tender and season to taste. Taste great lots of fiber and virtually no fat

MerlinTheGoat

No, it's because people were told Toy Story 3 "ended perfectly" so the news of TS4 has sent them on an implosion because their world is being upset. It's that clear. DisneyFan 2000's post trying to justify the outrage proves this IMO. It's just fear and their overly worrying the 'perfect ending' will be ruined in their minds.

Once again assumptions are being made about a movie not out until 2017. And for all we know it could be a whole set of new toys and a new owner. With the old ones included too of course. Or it could be about Andy's mom and her growing up with his toys. Anything is possible.

Hey Spirit, hate to do it but I gotta disagree. Sometimes doing proud a set of characters, franchise, whatever, is to know when to take a bow and let the curtain fall. Toy Story 4 is trying to defy the perfect ending to a near-perfect trilogy by topping it once again with an even better adventure. Do you know what the chances of that happening are? Slim-to-none, especially with Pixar's recent creative track record. People complain not because more out of the toys is a bad thing, but if any of them complainers are like me then my guess is there is lot of fear for 'tainting' the memory of a perfect curtain call.
I'd like to say that I acknowledge both sides of the issue here and agree with parts of both. My first initial reaction to the announcement was admittedly that it felt like an uncreative thing to do. I felt that it may suffer from both franchise fatigue along with uncertainty about Pixar's quality going forward due to recent stumbles. Toy Story 3 to me ended on such a nice definitive note that i'd kind of wonder what the point would be in trying to drag the story out any longer. I do however love Toy Story and am at least somewhat open minded on the issue. I'm not going to rage about it until the movie proves itself a dud. If they can find a way to keep the creativity level super high and prevent it from having franchise fatigue then I might be into it.

However there's still something to be said about worrying that this is merely cashing in on the success of a previous IP. Pixar IMO has had three stinkers in a row, ranging from mediocre at best (Monsters U) to even outright bad (Cars 2 and IMO Brave). They've had a year's break between movies so we'll see what happens with Inside Out and whether they can turn it around before their quality is in freefall. If they continue to put out sub-par movies though then i'm not sure how excited I can get for TS4.

I will say that even Toy Story 3 in retrospect had problems and lapses in quality that prior TS movies didn't suffer from to the same extent. I do love Toy Story 3 and in a number of ways it actually surpasses the prior two. It also pulled at my emotions more than the previous two (which were already very emotional movies). At the time I saw it (2010) I was living in Tennessee and we went through a huge flood that heavily damaged our house and a ton of old memorabilia. This included old toys I had from when I was a child (even some Toy Story stuff ironically). I had to throw a lot of it out due to damage. TS3 IMO nailed the emotions that went into growing up and having to part with your childhood. And it also had hilarious moments that blew away even the previous TS movies including Spanish Buzz and Mr Tortilla Head among other awesomeness. Though even I have to admit that there are some problems with the movie. The villain was bland and uncreative compared to the prior two movies, there were too many underdeveloped new toy characters that replaced older more interesting ones, it lacked the charming and heartfelt musical moments of TS2 (such as Woody's Roundup and When Somebody Loved Me) etc. The highs made up for it IMO and it's still a fantastic movie (again in some ways it beats the previous two), but there were also signs of Pixar starting to slip slightly in quality hidden between the cracks.

I hope Pixar can reignite their quality levels again going forward. I don't want to see such an awesome and tightly knit trilogy tainted by subpar and pointless additions, we'll see if they can up the quality going forward and keep the series fresh and good. I'm being cautious about getting hopes up for TS4. Not making a decision whether to be excited or against it yet.

stevehousse

All this fat talk reminds me of a situation at my work the other day. An extremely large customer, extremely large, was told on accident to go to the wrong theater. He waddled himself all the way to the back and realized his movie was actually on the opposite side of the theater. He had th nerve to complain and ask what I was gonna do to compensate for his fat a$# having to walk all the way back there!!! LOL

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What I thought I knew has now become a little cloudy. All the current changes - TSMM expansion/plussing, TSPL, CarsLand something or other, general overall theming changes/added eateries/shopping, etc. - is all that compromises the current budget numbers that have been put out there by our insiders?

If so that changes my impression of what is happening, especially if the Star Wars part of this overall redo is not included in that budget. Meaning I am anticipating this redo even more if the Star Wars work is coming from a separate budget. Spirit indicated in a separate thread that some people state that the DCA redo topped out at the 1.1 billionths level, but he went on to add more that raised the overall price to over 1.6 billion.

If Spirit knows his insider info - which, love him or hate him - he typically does, then what I am taking from this is that TWDC is planning on spending about 1.7 billion on the transformation of DHS, but that this figure does not include the Star Wars part of the expansion? That doesn't seem right.

I am also trying to figure out what this has to do with the Soarin' expansion. ;)

You make a good point about this having nothing to do with Soarin so I moved it over to this thread.

My understanding is the whole project has a budget at least as large as DCA 2.0. I assume that includes Star Wars. I think when @PhotoDave219 says Star Wars is under a different project it means SW and it's share of the $1.6B will be a later phase in the bigger project with Pixar Place and other additions coming first. I would be thrilled to learn that the $1.6B doesn't even include SW and that the STarWarsLand project would get an additional budget, but I agree with you that it doesn't seem likely.

PhotoDave219

You make a good point about this having nothing to do with Soarin so I moved it over to this thread.

My understanding is the whole project has a budget at least as large as DCA 2.0. I assume that includes Star Wars. I think when @PhotoDave219 says Star Wars is under a different project it means SW and it's share of the $1.6B will be a later phase in the bigger project with Pixar Place and other additions coming first. I would be thrilled to learn that the $1.6B doesn't even include SW and that the STarWarsLand project would get an additional budget, but I agree with you that it doesn't seem likely.

Thats a very good question. But as I see it, SW would have an additional budget, as unlikely as that sounds.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thats a very good question. But as I see it, SW would have an additional budget, as unlikely as that sounds.
Wow. That would be fantastic. I hope that SW still gets a good sized budget too. Not just Cantina, expanded Jedi Training a meet and greet and some stores. The way Iger talks about SW and the amount of merchandise they can sell I can't imagine they would go cheap on it.

Not trying to play arm chair imagineer too much here, but if TSPL takes up roughly 10% of the budget that leaves a whole lot left over for some actual meat to this project. I can't imagine not getting at least 2 legit D/E ticket rides out of it. One would likely be a Cars dark ride. I'm hoping for the long rumored Monsters door coaster as well.

PhotoDave219

Wow. That would be fantastic. I hope that SW still gets a good sized budget too. Not just Cantina, expanded Jedi Training a meet and greet and some stores. The way Iger talks about SW and the amount of merchandise they can sell I can't imagine they would go cheap on it.

Not trying to play arm chair imagineer too much here, but if TSPL takes up roughly 10% of the budget that leaves a whole lot left over for some actual meat to this project. I can't imagine not getting at least 2 legit D/E ticket rides out of it. One would likely be a Cars dark ride. I'm hoping for the long rumored Monsters door coaster as well.

Thats my understanding.... but things change. Nothing is set in stone.

BrerJon

They've had a year's break between movies so we'll see what happens with Inside Out and whether they can turn it around before their quality is in freefall. If they continue to put out sub-par movies though then i'm not sure how excited I can get for TS4.

This is how I feel. In the past I'd have had faith they would deliver a great film but the last few years have been so mediocre that I can't help think making 'Buzz Lightyear and the Crystal Skull' as good as its predecessors might be a tougher job than the current Pixar staff can handle.

Soarin' Over Pgh

What I make at home are Rutabaga fries, Cut up a large rutabaga into fry shaped bits, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 425 for 30 minutes or until tender and season to taste. Taste great lots of fiber and virtually no fat

Fantastic. So what's that address again? I'll be right over.

My grandmother as a child told me (and had me fully convinced) that turnips are potatoes. She called them turnippotatoes and I gleely ate them. Apparently once she didn't mention the potato part and I refused to eat it. Smart woman. Carrots and parsnipcarrots are also in the same family.

I understand why disney can't have a baked fries option, because of huge crowds (and they do take forever to bake versus five minutes in a deep fryer) but I don't understand why they don't have a bigger push towards a piece of fruit, or like our awesome @ford91exploder does, offer something else instead of French fries. I Would love to see them add rutabaga, turnips and other veggies to their lineup.

But it doesn't really matter so much when the shoppe next door has an apple on a stick coated in sugar, then another layer, then another, marshmallows, sprinkles, and then a sugar glitter for good measure.

Even thing about one candy apples makes me drool. Yep, I'm hooked. :oops:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fantastic. So what's that address again? I'll be right over.

My grandmother as a child told me (and had me fully convinced) that turnips are potatoes. She called them turnippotatoes and I gleely ate them. Apparently once she didn't mention the potato part and I refused to eat it. Smart woman. Carrots and parsnipcarrots are also in the same family.

I understand why disney can't have a baked fries option, because of huge crowds (and they do take forever to bake versus five minutes in a deep fryer) but I don't understand why they don't have a bigger push towards a piece of fruit, or like our awesome @ford91exploder does, offer something else instead of French fries. I Would love to see them add rutabaga, turnips and other veggies to their lineup.

But it doesn't really matter so much when the shoppe next door has an apple on a stick coated in sugar, then another layer, then another, marshmallows, sprinkles, and then a sugar glitter for good measure.

Even thing about one candy apples makes me drool. Yep, I'm hooked. :oops:
They did make the switch to offering fruits and vegetables with the kids meals. Little packets of grapes or carrot sticks.

It's more of a supply and demand problem. People generally want fries with a burger or chicken nuggets. I know when I'm on vacation I tend to eat more junky than normal life. It's part of the fun of being on vacation.

Matt7187

They did make the switch to offering fruits and vegetables with the kids meals. Little packets of grapes or carrot sticks.

It's more of a supply and demand problem. People generally want fries with a burger or chicken nuggets. I know when I'm on vacation I tend to eat more junky than normal life. It's part of the fun of being on vacation.
Exactly. I'm not going to eat an apple when I'm on vacation. Too many good foods that I would miss out on if I tried to eat healthy. That's what home is for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom