The Spirited Back Nine ...

Mike S

So far, Metro Orlando hotel occupancy is up 4% in 2014, the same as WDW.

When multiple variables change as they did in 2014, it's nearly impossible to assign any change to specific causes. However, since WDW hotels fared the same as Orlando area hotels, and since hotels near WDW had higher occupancy rates than Disney hotels, it seems safe to suggest that nothing Disney did affected the ratio of onsite vs. offsite Guest.

My opinion is that an improving economy, SDMT, Frozen-at-the-parks, and Diagon Alley all helped improve the Orlando tourism industry in 2014.

I'm doubtful that MyMagic+ contributed significantly. Certainly, Iger and Rasulo would have trumpeted MyMagic+ if they could have pointed to something concrete. Instead, it was more of the same old "still in ramp-up mode" message we've been hearing for 2 years; difficult to swallow when every single Guest has access to MyMagic+.

I'm not sure Disney ever was able to successfully advertise the benefits of MyMagic+ to the general public. MyMagic+ is difficult to explain and I never thought its 30-second spots were effective. It's easier to show a new roller coaster (e.g. SDMT) than a 60 vs. 30-day advanced FastPass+ selection advantage. The MyMagic+ ads I viewed were moronic.

Disneyphiles (like us) debated the pros and cons of MyMagic+ endlessly, but I sense it never caught the public's fancy the way Frozen-at-the-parks or Diagon Alley did.

SDMT's huge lines show the public craves new attractions. Upcoming enhancements at DAK and DHS will be extremely popular.

Disney's greatest risk is its long development cycles. Historically, amusement park goers defer visits once they hear something new is in the works, and the upcoming big announcement at DHS could hurt WDW's numbers for a few years. Disney is wise to pretend nothing is happening for as long as possible.

Those of us old enough to well remember the 1980s and 1990s learned to plan trips every year because we knew we'd see something new every visit. Today's low investment levels are teaching Disney fans that it's OK to go multiple years between trips.
The more I hear about MM+ and how it's still not doing anything that it was supposed to (higher guest spending etc.) the more I think that $2 billion+ could've been used much more effectively for another purpose.

fillerup

Thought this was as good a place as any for this. Don't know if there's anything new in here - many of you will know one way or another.

Front page of today's O'Sentinel, by Sandra Pedicini. I'd post a link but it's behind a paywall.

Headline & a few relevant paragraphs (as determined by me):

MyMagic+ on its way to other Disney parks

"The billion-dollar project has faced challenges. The initial rollout took longer than expected. Some guests complain they feel pressured to micromanage their vacation planning. Costs associated with MyMagic+ continue to cut into profit, though less than a year ago. Disney executives say they are seeing benefits, though, and it is getting high ratings from customers."

"It's obviously a pretty complicated enterprise to keep running every day, and laying on new tools and new technologies is not easy, but we're actually really, really pleased with how it's working and how it's been received by our guests," said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, in a recent interview.

As Disney brings elements of MyMagic+ into its other theme parks, Staggs said, visitors should not expect carbon copies of the program launched here."

"MyMagic+ was really built to evolve, " Staggs said. "So while it's fully rolled out in Walt Disney World, we're still looking at ways we can add additional features … That fleshing out will continue for some time, maybe forever."

"Half of Disney World guests are using MagicBands and about 90 percent of them have given it very good or excellent ratings."

"Disney won't say exactly how much it has spent on the project. Asked about online speculation that the system went over budget, Staggs said its first "defined" phase actually came in slightly under. Now, he said, the project is in "sort of the endless phase" that isn't lumped into one budget."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I find Chipotle completely overrated and do nto get the fascination with it. Qdoba, Baja Fresh and Moe's Southwest are all superior Tex-Mex IMHO. I'm particularly fond of Qdoba.
Chipotle uses fresh, mostly organic, local ingredients. They use antibiotic and hormone free chicken. I'm not gonna tell you it's healthy, but for fast food it's not nearly as bad as some. If you want something a little lighter you can get the burrito without the shell in a bowl and if you want to go even lower carb get it as a salad which substitutes lettuce for the rice. They don't have a huge menu, but they do what they do very well. IMHO there is really no comparison to the other places. Years ago I liked Baja Fresh, but I think once they got bought by Wendy's things went downhill. I haven't eaten there since we got a Chipotle so it's been quite a few years, maybe they improved. Moe's and Qdoba are OK too. They have bigger menus but nothing that compares to the Chipotle burrito bowl IMHO.

the.dreamfinder

I've posted this on a SPIRITED thread before, but as we discuss the quality of quick service it's worth noting how they once saw every guest as a VIP whether they were eating a burger at the Adventureland Veranda or filet migon at the Empress Lilly.
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-it-was-done-part-one.html?m=1
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-it-was-done-part-two.html?m=1
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-it-was-done-part-three.html?m=1
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-it-was-done-part-four.html?m=1

Last edited:

Stitchon

Chipotle uses fresh, mostly organic, local ingredients. They use antibiotic and hormone free chicken. I'm not gonna tell you it's healthy, but for fast food it's not nearly as bad as some. If you want something a little lighter you can get the burrito without the shell in a bowl and if you want to go even lower carb get it as a salad which substitutes lettuce for the rice. They don't have a huge menu, but they do what they do very well. IMHO there is really no comparison to the other places. Years ago I liked Baja Fresh, but I think once they got bought by Wendy's things went downhill. I haven't eaten there since we got a Chipotle so it's been quite a few years, maybe they improved. Moe's and Qdoba are OK too. They have bigger menus but nothing that compares to the Chipotle burrito bowl IMHO.

My city has yet to get a Chipotle (yay inferior trade area) but we have had a multitude of Chipotle knockoffs and other mexican chains. Qdoba came and went in less than a year, but I enjoyed it while it was here. Baja Fresh left a while back too, wasn't as fond of them. We do have a decent regional chain called Rubio's, pricier than Chipotle but a little better in my opinion (they also have Vanilla Coke on fountain). Another regional chain, Freebirds, is more of a straightforward Chipotle ripoff but with the aggravation of a franchise (horribly skimpy portioning and spotty service). No Moe's here in California, but I hear good things.

Of course, this being California, we have a dozen-plus family-run mexican joints that serve excellent food at a better price than all the chains.

PhotoDave219

Thought this was as good a place as any for this. Don't know if there's anything new in here - many of you will know one way or another.

Front page of today's O'Sentinel, by Sandra Pedicini. I'd post a link but it's behind a paywall.

"The billion-dollar project has faced challenges. The initial rollout took longer than expected. Some guests complain they feel pressured to micromanage their vacation planning. Costs associated with MyMagic+ continue to cut into profit, though less than a year ago. Disney executives say they are seeing benefits, though, and it is getting high ratings from customers."

"It's obviously a pretty complicated enterprise to keep running every day, and laying on new tools and new technologies is not easy, but we're actually really, really pleased with how it's working and how it's been received by our guests," said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, in a recent interview.

As Disney brings elements of MyMagic+ into its other theme parks, Staggs said, visitors should not expect carbon copies of the program launched here."

"MyMagic+ was really built to evolve, " Staggs said. "So while it's fully rolled out in Walt Disney World, we're still looking at ways we can add additional features … That fleshing out will continue for some time, maybe forever."

"Half of Disney World guests are using MagicBands and about 90 percent of them have given it very good or excellent ratings."

"Disney won't say exactly how much it has spent on the project. Asked about online speculation that the system went over budget, Staggs said its first "defined" phase actually came in slightly under. Now, he said, the project is in "sort of the endless phase" that isn't lumped into one budget."

Kinda hard to give a negative rating when there is no negative answer on a survey

bhg469

Yes, this food is really fresh and it pays. To be honest I went to Arby's the other day and spent more. Chipotle I can often make a bow last a meal and a half and I don't feel like garbage after I eat it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why did you single out statins (which, by the way, shouldn't be capitalized)? Why not nicotinic acid? Bile acid resins? Fibrates?

In fact bile acid resins would have more applicable as they block the re-absorption of bile back into the liver and would be most affected by a food high in cholesterol. This would lead to more immediate side effects.

Perhaps if you have risk factors for a heart attack - stay away from this meal would have worked better

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've posted this on a SPIRITED thread before, but as we discuss the quality of quick service it's worth noting how they once saw every guest as a VIP whether they were eating a burger at the Adventureland Veranda or filet migon at the Empress Lilly.

It's also worth noting that at one time resort performance was measured as a whole, Not a bunch of competing business units

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

MM+ spreads like a cancer.

hpyhnt 1000

So far, Metro Orlando hotel occupancy is up 4% in 2014, the same as WDW.

When multiple variables change as they did in 2014, it's nearly impossible to assign any change to specific causes. However, since WDW hotels fared the same as Orlando area hotels, and since hotels near WDW had higher occupancy rates than Disney hotels, it seems safe to suggest that nothing Disney did affected the ratio of onsite vs. offsite Guest.

My opinion is that an improving economy, SDMT, Frozen-at-the-parks, and Diagon Alley all helped improve the Orlando tourism industry in 2014.

I'm doubtful that MyMagic+ contributed significantly. Certainly, Iger and Rasulo would have trumpeted MyMagic+ if they could have pointed to something concrete. Instead, it was more of the same old "still in ramp-up mode" message we've been hearing for 2 years; difficult to swallow when every single Guest has access to MyMagic+.

I'm not sure Disney ever was able to successfully advertise the benefits of MyMagic+ to the general public. MyMagic+ is difficult to explain and I never thought its 30-second spots were effective. It's easier to show a new roller coaster (e.g. SDMT) than a 60 vs. 30-day advanced FastPass+ selection advantage. The MyMagic+ ads I viewed were moronic.

Disneyphiles (like us) debated the pros and cons of MyMagic+ endlessly, but I sense it never caught the public's fancy the way Frozen-at-the-parks or Diagon Alley did.

SDMT's huge lines show the public craves new attractions. Upcoming enhancements at DAK and DHS will be extremely popular.

Disney's greatest risk is its long development cycles. Historically, amusement park goers defer visits once they hear something new is in the works, and the upcoming big announcement at DHS could hurt WDW's numbers for a few years. Disney is wise to pretend nothing is happening for as long as possible.

Those of us old enough to well remember the 1980s and 1990s learned to plan trips every year because we knew we'd see something new every visit. Today's low investment levels are teaching Disney fans that it's OK to go multiple years between trips.

About what I figured regarding the hotels. If that assumption on the occupancy numbers holds true, it's hard to see where MM+ is a success. The only thing I can figure is that Disney is making, or is still betting on making, money through the data mining and guest profiling aspects of MM+. But from the outside, it boggles the mind as to why they would be expanding this to other resorts (unless it's all just hubris).

And right about people wanting new attractions, not RFID bracelets. Saw a lot of people with Olaf bags and Elsa costumes while in the parks; not so many accessorized Magic Bands though.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
About what I figured regarding the hotels. If that assumption on the occupancy numbers holds true, it's hard to see where MM+ is a success. The only thing I can figure is that Disney is making, or is still betting on making, money through the data mining and guest profiling aspects of MM+. But from the outside, it boggles the mind as to why they would be expanding this to other resorts (unless it's all just hubris).

And right about people wanting new attractions, not RFID bracelets. Saw a lot of people with Olaf bags and Elsa costumes while in the parks; not so many accessorized Magic Bands though.

But I saw tons of retail space devoted to magic bands for which there was no interest from shoppers even for the 24.95 Frozen MB. Yet Olaf and Sven plushies flew off the shelves, A Sven went home with us.

I'm starting to think TWDC thinks the MB is a lot more popular than it is in reality, Saw lots of grey MB's and very few colored ones which says either the majority of guests are non-US or people are not bothering to 'customize' their MB or a combination of both.

EPCOTCenterLover

My city has yet to get a Chipotle (yay inferior trade area) but we have had a multitude of Chipotle knockoffs and other mexican chains. Qdoba came and went in less than a year, but I enjoyed it while it was here. Baja Fresh left a while back too, wasn't as fond of them. We do have a decent regional chain called Rubio's, pricier than Chipotle but a little better in my opinion (they also have Vanilla Coke on fountain). Another regional chain, Freebirds, is more of a straightforward Chipotle ripoff but with the aggravation of a franchise (horribly skimpy portioning and spotty service). No Moe's here in California, but I hear good things.

Of course, this being California, we have a dozen-plus family-run mexican joints that serve excellent food at a better price than all the chains.
Just ate at Freebirds. It was very very good!

BrerJon

Wow, great stuff. The following paragraph jumped out at me from that article:
"Today, foodservice at both Disneyland and Disney World is "a part of the show." Food is part of the total experience and should be fun. Good value is part of the Disney philosophy, and this means quality food. Food prices at WDW are surprisingly low considering the quality and presentation of the menu. The food is simply good food that appeals to the various markets that WDW serves. The hamburgers aren't laced with Mickey Mouse ears, nor are scrambled eggs presented in the shape of Donald Duck. Each foodservice unit, whether in the parks or the hotels, is designed with a theme in mind, and the menu is designed to strengthen the Total Show."

"Food prices at WDW are surprisingly low considering the quality and presentation of the menu"

Nowadays I don't think anyone would argue with changing that word 'low' to 'high', and that sentence making perfect sense.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It's also worth noting that at one time resort performance was measured as a whole, Not a bunch of competing business units
The company I work for did the same thing. Now we are all cost centers. Has totally made getting anything accomplished virtually impossible as everyone makes decisions first on how much of a hit budget wise it will be on your cost center. We spend hours figuring out how much each cost center will pony up on multi cost center projects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom