The Spirited Back Nine ...

71jason

i noticed this year that HHN in LA was not serving alcohol... not sure if this is a new thing, maybe Orlando could learn a thing or two!!

I forget its exact nature, but there was an incident a few years ago, big frat boy fight IIRC, caused them to announce they were suspending alcohol sales for the rest of the event. That ban lasted one night after the revenue reports came in the next morning.

Slowjack

...These types of aesthetic makeovers were found all over DCA from 2009 to 2012. The opening of Cars Land, a 12 acre expansion of the park itself, was the grand finale to all the other work within the existing park boundaries.

It should be interesting to see what they do aesthetically to existing DHS buildings and streetscapes if DHS gets a similar parkwide "Extreme Makeover".
Myself, I hope they don't change the look of DHS too much. The original DCA aesthetics were cheap--lots of painted flats instead of real dimensionality, sort of trimmed-down impressions of the overall looks they were appropriating. The core of DHS is an painstaking recreation of early-to-mid LA architecture, and there's no need to try to improve upon it. Werner Weiss's six-part series (begins here, for those who've never read it) on the real-world buildings that inspired various elements of DHS is fascinating.

Anyway, except for re/moving the hat, I think the core of the park looks great. More rides? Yes, please. But don't mess with the part that works.

Next Big Thing

Generally not unless you know someone.
It was very natural. Bill still had his stage mic on. We were walking out of the theatre (stage left side) and they came out from backstage, I assume with the intent to take pics with specific audience members. There were certain guests dressed up as B&T. I certainly made sure to get a picture in though as I had never seen them come out before.

Mike S

"A major Frozen-themed attraction for 2017 as the centerpiece of the project." No doubt in my mind history is repeating itself. It's Winnie the Pooh all over again. Sad how only the OLC sees the theme park potential of a movie that made over $1 billion. Just gives me more reasons to visit their resort one day.

Expo_Seeker40

I can't wait until it's gone!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

BrerJon

With the slightly bigger Fantasyland picture, looks like Toontown is still sticking around in some form with some of the character houses being pretty visible.

The more I look at it, the more I think that's just a painting to sell a vague concept to shareholders as opposed to being a realistic plan for anything... they seem to have just put a lot of little houses and a couple of generic castles in to illustrate big things coming, without being too specific.

Fe Maiden

FigmentJedi

The more I look at it, the more I think that's just a painting to sell a vague concept to shareholders as opposed to being a realistic plan for anything... they seem to have just put a lot of little houses and a couple of generic castles in to illustrate big things coming, without being too specific.
Still looks like Mickey and Minnie's house and the Toontown hills in there. And that it's their Autopia/Speedway that's going bye bye.

map-of-disneyland.jpg

Mike S

I don't know, that area with the huge castle clearly looks like B&tB. With them keeping the Queen of Hearts restaurant does it really make sense for them to build BoG too? If they get a B&tB ride I swear to god.........

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Myself, I hope they don't change the look of DHS too much. The original DCA aesthetics were cheap--lots of painted flats instead of real dimensionality, sort of trimmed-down impressions of the overall looks they were appropriating. The core of DHS is an painstaking recreation of early-to-mid LA architecture, and there's no need to try to improve upon it. Werner Weiss's six-part series (begins here, for those who've never read it) on the real-world buildings that inspired various elements of DHS is fascinating.

Anyway, except for re/moving the hat, I think the core of the park looks great. More rides? Yes, please. But don't mess with the part that works.

The DCA 1.0 where the Mission tortilla factory was an E-Ticket, I hope they MOVE the BAH to the outdoor plaza because the BAH in of itself is not bad, its actually pretty good detail wise. It's placement however is simply awful and destroys the forced perspective on entry to the park.

wdwgreek

Still looks like Mickey and Minnie's house and the Toontown hills in there. And that it's their Autopia/Speedway that's going bye bye.

map-of-disneyland.jpg
The map they have on their parks blog, shows their toontown to still be there, its their Autopia and Astro Orbiter that look to be on the chopping block, with an Arendell port to open in Tokyo Sea. Can I just say, the fact they are opening this in 2 years time, should put the domestic parks to shame. Pandora won't even be done by the time they are finished building this and given its TDL its probably going to be stunning, well designed, and not cheaply designed.

Mike S

I just found this great story. Imagine if someone rocked up to a CP at a Fastpass+ scanner in Magic Kingdom and asked to use it, I can't see the same reaction somehow.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/03/...rls-proto-fastpass-melts-the-internets-heart/
Just read the article and one thing jumped out at me............. “At least that’s a good ride, it would have sucked if she had waited 16 years for that terrible Journey to the Center of the Earth ride.” WHAT?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't know, that area with the huge castle clearly looks like B&tB. With them keeping the Queen of Hearts restaurant does it really make sense for them to build BoG too? If they get a B&tB ride I swear to god.........

Here's the thing OLC is not 'getting' anything, OLC is investing in the future of their parks by commissioning WDI to create new attractions for them, It's not like China where TWDC has to be beaten into living up to their financial and creative commitments for the Chinese parks.

You have two opposing worldviews here one (OLC) is investing in a high end entertainment product so they can grow their product's customer base and revenues, The second (TWDC) is trying to milk the investments of the past without investing further. The latter is more profitable near term but it sets up the next management team for disaster.

BrerJon

Queen of Hearts always has long waits to get in though (deservedly so - no Fastpass nonsense there), BoG would take some of the pressure off.

Alternatively, I could see them cloning the theming but just building the castle as a walk-around Meet and Greet area, so you still get to go inside the ballroom, West Wing etc., but with a much smaller footprint and less chaos than in Orlando. Or maybe they'll relocate the teacups inside the castle as a Mrs Potts ride, freeing up space in the courtyard.

Kungaloosh1937

I forget its exact nature, but there was an incident a few years ago, big frat boy fight IIRC, caused them to announce they were suspending alcohol sales for the rest of the event. That ban lasted one night after the revenue reports came in the next morning.

HHN Hollywood hasn't sold alcohol in years. You can get it at CityWalk but not in the park.

BrerJon

Just read the article and one thing jumped out at me.............
“At least that’s a good ride, it would have sucked if she had waited 16 years for that terrible Journey to the Center of the Earth ride.”
WHAT?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

Those Japanese don't even know they're born.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom