The Spirited 11th Hour ...

MagicGoofy

What the heck is going down on twitter? Literately everyone and their mothers are talking about marvel and DCA in a sarcastic way.... While a bunch of Uni fan boys (which I have no problem with them being) are making jokes about how it isn't coming to wdw which Is true but why the sudden blimp of marvel talk... Anyone else seeing this to?

Quinnmac000

The Lucas was the source of the horrible ideas like the aliens... And the story. Lucas creations and Lucas is rightfully the target of that criticism. It's not a fad or hip thing to do to blame Lucas... It's the damn facts

Do you know how many movies have crappy scripts and stories that come out great. Its easily to solely blame the guy who came out with the ideas and say its all their fault but a director is the one bringing the story to life, they share some responsibility as well as the actors. Shia Lebeouf said it best:

"Two years later Shia LaBeouf has finally said publicly what so many others had said then: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull stunk.

"I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished."

LaBeouf continued, "You get to monkey-swinging and things like that and you can blame it on the writer and you can blame it on Steven [Spielberg, who directed]. But the actor's job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn't do it. So that's my fault. Simple." He said Harrison Ford "wasn't happy with it either."

Although he's certain he'll get a call soon from Spielberg -- whom he said he respects and owes everything to -- LaBeouf was firm in his stance that Spielberg "needs to hear this. I love him. I love Steven. I have a relationship with Steven that supersedes our business work. ... He's done so much great work that there's no need for him to feel vulnerable about one film. But when you drop the ball you drop the ball."

The irony is the same team that approved and worked on the last film is working on the new film minus George and I'm pretty sure that the entire films fault isn't solely George.

Last edited:

doctornick

The irony is the same time that approved and worked on the last film is working on the new film minus George and I'm pretty sure that the entire films fault isn't solely George.

Surely, there were a lot of people involved in the film and all contributed in some way to its problems; suggesting that George Lucas the only thing causing an otherwise quality film to be severely lacking seems pretty silly to me. But I'm also quite confident that Lucas' involvement didn't help matters much.

lazyboy97o

No Name

I think it's more about not having to spend money overhauling the muppet vision building into something else. I don't think converting pizza planet or mama melrose (not sure they would really do both) into a muppet themed restaurant would be based on the success or failure of the muppet show. Having a muppet mini-land is the least expensive way to continue to utilize a low cost, high volume attraction. They had to convert pizza planet into something anyway. This is also the reason I don't see a dark ride added either. The big bucks are going to Star Wars and to a lesser extent Toy Story. This would be a relatively cheap way to create a theme to the mini-land.

I also think the muppets have more of a nostalgic fan following that translates better into a theme park land than a prime time network show. Even if the latest muppet show is a failure and the last movie didn't do all that well that doesn't mean they can't have more muppets in the theme parks. When is the last time Mickey Mouse starred in a prime time TV show or feature film? He's still the biggest star at the parks. Potterland has skewed our perception that everything in the parks has to be based on a mega popular IP (see the numerous Avatar threads).

Well Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on Disney Junior has been running for the past 10 years and is hugely successful.
Sure, it's not prime time, but I'd bet most children (and parents) who visit the parks, especially ones who live in this country, have seen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Mickey is everywhere in society anyway so I don't know if that's the best example.

I totally see what you are saying though and agree with it personally, but Disney has only gone with currently popular IPs for attractions recently, and though you'd disagree I'd say that's a direct result of WWoHP. Not that we should discuss that here. If you need any evidence, Disney execs did agree with eachother on some kind of post-2010 conference call that attractions based on popular IPs are more successful, and they refuse to mention the possibility of an original attraction in press releases, never mind actually create one (other than Rivers of Light and a few other small areas, which are excellent). But I guess this is a small area too. So I do understand a bit why they'd go with more Muppets if they are just retheming things rather than building anything new.

But who knows? I still have no idea as to where Star Wars land is going. They are closing stuff all up in the Streets of America area on April 2nd, but I can't understand why in the world they wouldn't put the land adjacent to Star Tours. And now we have a pretty terrible rumor about Tower of Terror. So it's impossible to truly understand what their grand plan is, if there even is much of a plan that goes beyond making maximum profits in 2017-18 (Bob Iger's final years).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on Disney Junior has been running for the past 10 years and is hugely successful.
Sure, it's not prime time, but I'd bet most children (and parents) who visit the parks, especially ones who live in this country, have seen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Mickey is everywhere in society anyway so I don't know if that's the best example.

I totally see what you are saying though and agree with it personally, but Disney has only gone with currently popular IPs for attractions recently, and though you'd disagree I'd say that's a direct result of WWoHP. Not that we should discuss that here. If you need any evidence, Disney execs did agree with eachother on some kind of post-2010 conference call that attractions based on popular IPs are more successful, and they refuse to mention the possibility of an original attraction in press releases, never mind actually create one (other than Rivers of Light and a few other small areas, which are excellent). But I guess this is a small area too. So I do understand a bit why they'd go with more Muppets if they are just retheming things rather than building anything new.

But who knows? I still have no idea as to where Star Wars land is going. They are closing stuff all up in the Streets of America area on April 2nd, but I can't understand why in the world they wouldn't put the land adjacent to Star Tours. And now we have a pretty terrible rumor about Tower of Terror. So it's impossible to truly understand what their grand plan is, if there even is much of a plan that goes beyond making maximum profits in 2017-18 (Bob Iger's final years).
Yep, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is successful on Disney Jr but if you tried to put it on ABCs prime time lineup it would flop too. Not because Mickey isn't popular. I agree that Disney is too focused on IP driven attractions but the Muppets would actually fit that bill. They have movies and a TV show (for now).

michmousefan

The Lucas was the source of the horrible ideas like the aliens... And the story. Lucas creations and Lucas is rightfully the target of that criticism. It's not a fad or hip thing to do to blame Lucas... It's the damn facts
Why were aliens such a horrible idea? It's not like they were any more fantastical than a magic box that ghosts fly out of and melt peoples faces... or removing a beating heart out of someone's chest... the monkey swinging and the CGI ants, yes, those were lame. But the central plot was really no different or unbelievable than any other Raiders story.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do you know how many movies have crappy scripts and stories that come out great. Its easily to solely blame the guy who came out with the ideas and say its all their fault but a director is the one bringing the story to life, they share some responsibility as well as the actors. Shia Lebeouf said it best:

The irony is the same team that approved and worked on the last film is working on the new film minus George and I'm pretty sure that the entire films fault isn't solely George.

Did I say entirely? No I was pointing out that Lucas was in fact behind elements that sucked. Not that it's some "easy out" or other lazy action as inferred here. He was the point of origin of multiple elements that people thought sucked hence rightfully the owner of the blame being placed.

As for the other elements - different topic. We can say Lucas wasn't the ONLY source of problems for the film... Fine.. But he doesn't get out of the crosshairs for that either.

Crystal skull seems to have suffered as the prequels did... People played hands off with Lucas and followed diligently ... Even when they should have given him help he didn't want.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why were aliens such a horrible idea? It's not like they were any more fantastical than a magic box that ghosts fly out of and melt peoples faces... or removing a beating heart out of someone's chest... the monkey swinging and the CGI ants, yes, those were lame. But the central plot was really no different or unbelievable than any other Raiders story.

Do I need to elaborate on the cultural anchoring of the bible and aliens? One has credibility in that in fact the nazis were in fact gathering and stealing artifacts around the world (if for world domination is the Hollywood portion...) but fits the time, the material, and popular culture.

But whatever... History has spoken with these films... I don't need to waste time breaking it down for people who want to into the wind.

DisneyRoy

Do I need to elaborate on the cultural anchoring of the bible and aliens? One has credibility in that in fact the nazis were in fact gathering and stealing artifacts around the world (if for world domination is the Hollywood portion...) but fits the time, the material, and popular culture.

But whatever... History has spoken with these films... I don't need to waste time breaking it down for people who want to **** into the wind.

I agree with you on this one. The two Indy's with some sort of historical background (Ark and Holy Grail) and are the best two of the series. The two films with the fantastical backgrounds (aliens and chakra stones) are lousy. My own opinion of course (but one that's widely agreed upon).

michmousefan

But whatever... History has spoken with these films... I don't need to waste time breaking it down for people who want to **** into the wind.
I wasn't speaking of the historical/cultural elements (like the Nevada desert nuclear testing in Crystal Skull); I was referring to the supernatural elements (drinking from the "Grail," flying ghosts, etc.). It doesn't make the movies any better or worse in my estimation. But to say that one supernatural element is more unbelievable than another is silly.

Cesar R M

What the heck is going down on twitter? Literately everyone and their mothers are talking about marvel and DCA in a sarcastic way.... While a bunch of Uni fan boys (which I have no problem with them being) are making jokes about how it isn't coming to wdw which Is true but why the sudden blimp of marvel talk... Anyone else seeing this to?
Probably a troll just set a bait and both camps took it.
No surprise honestly. Groups like 4 chan actively take plans to "do it for the lulz".
Including baiting feminism or bronies.

*edit*
nevermind seems there was a rumor going on. gonna have to read it.
I hope it has at least more validity than the hilarious Frozen construction thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom