The Spirited 11th Hour ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am just loving these "Star Wars Awakens" commercials at the WDW Resort.

Did I miss something? Or is this just misinformation and deceptive advertising? Again, only the mentally ill or those who have no value for money would book $10,000 WDW vacations to meet and greet 23-year-old Bowling Green grad Kenny (also waits tables at the TGI Friday's in the Crossroads) playing Kylo Ren ... or walk through the laughable 'attraction' known as Star Wars Launch Bay. REAL Star Wars product that is new (beyond a reworked pyro and projection show) won't arrive until 2020-21, yet Disney is actively trying to convince people otherwise. Classic.

And how is Disney getting anyone in EPCOT when the only attraction most people consider a must do is closed for six months? Oh yeah, Inside Out meet and greets and the Spring Food and Wine Festival.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think that could play a role in this actually. A resort fee could be a loophole in the process to make more money off DVC guests and renters.

Keep in mind, $15 is the starting point too. Who knows, 10 years from now, the fee could be $100 a night without any new regulation passed.

Legally, I don't believe it is possible to charge anything to DVCers or those renting points. ... But, yes, $15 as a resort fee in 2016 would easily be $30-50 by 2018. That's always how it goes. Take a look at the once free valet parking at the resorts. It was $5 or $6 when they started charging for like the blink of an eye.

Again, you need people with voices to raise them. I have singled out @WDWFigment, but that's because I know Tom, I believe he to me a man of integrity and because if he blogged that people shouldn't stay at WDW resorts (or ANY) that charge these fees, it would get noticed. Likely the biggest result would be a loss of cooperation/access when Tom wanted to go shoot pics at 3 a.m. of empty parks, but the time to do something is BEFORE Disney makes a change that it clearly wants to make. 99.7% of the time when something happens, you can't change it back.

Nick Pappagiorgio

Did I miss something? Or is this just misinformation and deceptive advertising? Again, only the mentally ill or those who have no value for money would book $10,000 WDW vacations to meet and greet 23-year-old Bowling Green grad Kenny (also waits tables at the TGI Friday's in the Crossroads) playing Kylo Ren ... or walk through the laughable 'attraction' known as Star Wars Launch Bay. REAL Star Wars product that is new (beyond a reworked pyro and projection show) won't arrive until 2020-21, yet Disney is actively trying to convince people otherwise. Classic.

And how is Disney getting anyone in EPCOT when the only attraction most people consider a must do is closed for six months? Oh yeah, Inside Out meet and greets and the Spring Food and Wine Festival.

They were running non-stop during the IndyCar race. My dad (who was in Orlando with me in Jan) asked if they opened something new for star wars, despite having seen/experienced everything in the commercial. And he is by no means a Disney nube.

Nemo14

You know, I just spent a few days with friends in VA, and they were actually contemplating a trip to WDW this spring to see "all the new Star wars stuff". When I explained to them what they would actually see at this point, they were shocked. Apparently there's been some pretty deceptive advertising going on up there...

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think they're just experimenting with how high they can raise the prices while reducing quality. I have a feeling the limits here before they truly begin to cut into their numbers are a lot higher than most people would like to think.

Of course they are.

Fundamentally there are largely two groups of WDW fans. Those who were regulars during the resort's first quarter of a century (1971-1996) and people who didn't start visiting on any regular basis until the late 90s or aughts. The first group completely understands what is thrown out today isn't Disney quality and often times any type of quality at all. The latter group only knows constantly paying more for less, empty parks, lines that are worse than ever (despite a $2 billion plus tech upgrade/trip planning app), timeshares taking over the place, needing to make meal plans six months in advance for 75% of the locations on property, character meet and greets counting as real attractions, pin trading, 400 pounders running any of the 64 races Run Disney holds annually etc.

And the two fan groups are always in opposition because one group either thinks WDW has never been better or will be when (fill in the blank with Pandora, Disney Springs, Star Wars Land, WDW's 50th etc) happens, while the other knows that is patently not true and absurd. Or as absurd as O-Town fanbois who don't even work for Disney acting like they are Part of the MAGIC of The Walt Disney Company.

Nemo14

Of course they are.

Fundamentally there are largely two groups of WDW fans. Those who were regulars during the resort's first quarter of a century (1971-1996) and people who didn't start visiting on any regular basis until the late 90s or aughts. The first group completely understands what is thrown out today isn't Disney quality and often times any type of quality at all. The latter group only knows constantly paying more for less, empty parks, lines that are worse than ever (despite a $2 billion plus tech upgrade/trip planning app), timeshares taking over the place, needing to make meal plans six months in advance for 75% of the locations on property, character meet and greets counting as real attractions, pin trading, 400 pounders running any of the 64 races Run Disney holds annually etc.

And the two fan groups are always in opposition because one group either thinks WDW has never been better or will be when (fill in the blank with Pandora, Disney Springs, Star Wars Land, WDW's 50th etc) happens, while the other knows that is patently not true and absurd. Or as absurd as O-Town fanbois who don't even work for Disney acting like they are Part of the MAGIC of The Walt Disney Company.

*sprinkles pixie dust on you*

WDW1974

Original Poster
The biggest thing is the Chinese Government is not liking SDL. At the recent party meeting more than one MP stated that they didn't like it and would rather have Chinese tourists go to the local parks... (One MP in particular was rather vocal because he has a "theme park" in his district and is worried about SDL.)

The CCP will love its Disney Resort. And it will see to it that it is a success. And that it produces huge attendance numbers. And Bob Iger will act (here) like he is in total control and the financial press will eat it up so long as cuts at WDW and huge tentpole films can make the bottom line look great.

BTW, for those who think these big media companies hate each other and such, realize that Bob Iger is on CNBC -- unchallenged no matter what he says -- so often that they should give him his own show and time slot!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just arrived at DW today, checked into the beach club villas. I know these rooms are getting renovated, but man it's not a day to early. I paid cash for tonight $600, then points for a week in a 2 bedroom. These units are worn out hard. Broken cabinet frames, worn out furniture, bad tile patching and caulking....

But my post is really about first impressions of the park and what I overheard two boat operators saying. Hollywood studios is seriously chopped up with half open things left and right. To be expected for sure knowing about the Star Wars investments, but after reading posts here for a while I guess I still didn't get it until walking the park. What's worse is the things that are open, are as worn out as our room. Three different star tours vehicles and each had 3-5 seats out of order. Toy Story? Couldn't tell you, it went down at 3 right when our FP was and stayed down. Walls all over needed paint. The boats looked like hell.

Lastly, overheard two boat captains talking about the budget cuts and how they were struggling to keep the boats running. I don't think it was for my benefit but you never know. I was married at Disney and our kids love it, and to be honest I'm the Disney nut. So I say this not as a basher, something is going on.... There is trash in walkways and everything looks beat up. Either they are clamping too tight, the crowds are taking their tolls or leadership doesn't give a s.... Maybe all three...

Did you take pics? Did you show them to management? Did you complain and explain politely but firmly that what you were given was not acceptable? Did you take your park upkeep/neglect concerns up with people at the parks?

Complaining here is perfectly acceptable. But it isn't a solution.

No Name

That was not what he was saying. He was saying don't expect much more for the 50th (beyond a new parade and night spectacular) than what we know of now. Star Wars will come roughly a year after DL to WDW (not 2-3).

I'd expect Phase 3 and the official completion of the DHS rebranding to more so coincide with the 50th/2021.
I certainly hope that they don't wait till 2021 for WDW. And I'm not just saying that as a fan, it also doesn't make any financial sense to slow construction. There is a ton of money to be made with Star Wars land, and it would be extremely dumb and... I can't even say short-sighted because it's not, it's just dumb... to spread out construction costs rather than get the land open and making money as soon as possible. Plus, the closer to the release of Episode 9 (scheduled for 2019) the better.

I also do not believe a "phase 3" is coming any time in the nearish future, especially not before WDW's 50th or the rebranding of the park. I really am not buying the phase 3 rumors, I think what they've announced (Star Wars land and Toy Story Land) is all there will be other than maybe some new shows and/or entertainment. I'm keeping my expectations low, so I'd love to be surprised.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Went to DAK yesterday and I'm pretty saddened by the state of things there as well. And I don't think I've ever seen it that dirty before. I hope that things get better soon. I'm watching my parks go downhill fast. And EPCOT was just as bad yesterday.

Email and phone calls.

And that includes social media maven Dr. Blondie (AKA Cupcake) at Jennifer.J.Fickley@disney.com or the much more ordinary (looks aren't everything though) Thomas.Smith@disney.com ... their phone numbers, including work cells, are also widely available via any CM with Hub access and I am sure they would love to hear from fans and Guests since that is their job, right?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wait.... Lifestyler? IRS?!? Tax fraud?!?!
What the heck?!?

Sorry, can't share that just yet. But it is good ... and likely will wind up on the Twitter before I ever talk about it here.
But really, it was only a matter of time. I doubt this is the first. Maybe the Lifestylers will hit up their flocks to pay their tax bills next.

I've been calling that one for years

You were not the only one, believe me.:greedy::devilish:;):D

WDW1974

Original Poster
I did read it. Focusing on this bit ^^^

Which is it? RoL will be too popular? Or not popular enough?

The article you linked claims it will be a capacity nightmare. So, popular.

Then you claim they will have to rework it, and you imply it'll happen quickly, because it wont be well liked without characters.

Which is it?

also, for those that won't read the whole article, the writer closes by saying Disney will get it right. So, the headline is a little overdone.

I really don't know which it will be. If you are asking me and not the author of the MF piece. With such a limited viewing area, one could surmise that the show will be FULL every showing. Does that make it success? Sure, maybe, possibly. I've heard nothing but good things about it but I've also heard about considerable budget cuts.

I'm saying I can see them adding characters because WDW has been so Walmarted that 90% of its audience can't comprehend Disney not being about foamheads.

MuteSuperstar

Don't forget the Pixar short film festival!
The fact that they list it and the "Star Wars Launch Bay Theater" as attractions would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It was never really in doubt as to whether Agents of SHIELD was coming back. Shows in their 3rd full season invariably get renewed in order to get to enough episodes to be syndicated.

OTOH, I'd be pretty shocked if Agent Carter gets renewed (though reports are that its still up in the air). It's ratings plummeted this year and weren't that great to begin with.

The bigger question is whether the other Marvel ABC shows in development -- Damage Control and Marvel's Most Wanted -- proceed. I haven't seen confirmation that either of those are definite for next season.

Actually, it was. Generally, you want 100 episodes for syndication, but today that isn't quite as important. The issue I see with all of Marvel's TV efforts is they are not about any of the major or even semi-major characters. At least DC offers you The Flash and Arrow and Supergirl. Not Lois Lane's hairdresser who is a spy for a top secret government agency when she isn't doing a color job.

People want Spidey and Thor and Iron Man etc ... and little references and in jokes and Easter eggs only work for really crazy fanbois (like that hillbilly @Lee).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom