The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 6: ODYSSEY- Hype Thread

TheOriginalTiki

Really itching to jump on this best of the year discussion but I'm doing a podcast ranking my top 25 on Sunday and don't want to give away which way I'm leaning in terms of order. Plus I'm aiming to see Little Women and Bombshell before making the final list. As of now, some of the BIG stand-outs for the year for me are Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Lighthouse, Parasite, Knives Out, 1917, and Uncut Gems. What order I rank some of these remains entirely a mystery. A couple dark horse July movies might sneak in there like The Peanutbutter Falcon (most heartwarming movie of the year) and The Art of Self Defense (THE most under-rated film of the year for me and pretty much an instantly rewatchable cult classic. Basically a martial arts Fight Club starring Jesse Eisenberg in his best performance since The Social Network)

Suchomimus

tenor.gif

PerGron

So in the end, my 2019 top 10 favorite movies ended up being. I say favorite because Parasite is the best made movie I’ve seen this year but I put it lower, Frozen 2 isn’t even close to perfect but I thoroughly enjoyed it as a massive Frozen fanboy, etc. a

1. The Lighthouse
2. Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood
3. The Peanut Butter Falcon
4. Ready or Not
5. Parasite
6. Frozen 2
7. Booksmart
8. Doctor Sleep
9. Toy Story 4
10. Jojo Rabbit

I say favorite because Parasite is the best made movie I’ve seen this year but I put it lower, Frozen 2 isn’t even close to perfect but I thoroughly enjoyed it as a massive Frozen fanboy, etc.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, every movie I saw this year in theaters ranked worst to best. I missed a lot of the more dramatic, small scale films this year. I didn't get to go to the theater as often as in past years (Not working at a movie theater and no one in my family/friend circle working there anymore made it tougher lol). So, I tended to prioritize movies with more spectacle figuring the smaller films will work well to watch at home. BUT I have Stubs now, so my New Year's Resolution is to watch more indie films in theaters.

Worst to best

---Ugh Tier--
Dumbo
Dark Pheonix
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Missing Link (Very pretty, but I just didn't like it other than the animation. Same with most Laika films I've seen)

---Good, but forgettable or lacking impact---
Hot to Train your Dragon 3 (I've never been that into Httyd. This was my least favorite of the 3)
Lion King
Terminator Dark Fate
Men in Black International
Captain Marvel
Zombieland Double Tap (Probably would be lower, but I love the characters a lot lol)
Lego Movie 2
Knives Out (Could've been way higher on the list if two thirds of the cast didn't basically disappear from the third act in an ensemble film)
Detective Pikachu (Like Zombieland, my love of Pokemon made me put this higher up than it probably deserves)

---I liked it!---
Alitta: Battle Angel (Not caring about Captain Marvel and real liking Alitta was something the could NOT be said out loud without looking like a Men's Rights activist for a while there. But I think we're far enough away from that stupidity for me to say that this movie was pretty cool and Brie Larson's performance was wooden without me looking like a hateful basement dweller)
Aladdin (I liked it, fight me. Will Smith did great)
Star Wars Episode 9
IT Chapter 2 (There's so many dumb things in this movie, but what is good is just so freaking likeable)
Toy Story 4

---I loved it!---
Frozen 2
John Wick 3
Jumanji: The Next Level (Easily the funniest movie of the year for me)
Spider-Man Far From Home
Shazam
Avengers Endgame

---Movies I missed out on that I want to see but haven't yet---
Glass (Haven't seen the first two movies yet, so gotta see those first)
Happy death Day 2U
Us
Brightburn
Rocketman
Booksmart
Dora
Joker
Jojo Rabbit
Cats (It looks so bad!)

mickeyfan5534

Brie Larson's performance was wooden
I will argue that Carol being amnesiac and essentially brainwashed as an emotionless soldier for 80% of the movie is far more to blame than Brie Larson’s performance. When the script allows Carol to be Carol, it’s a great performance. The problem is that she doesn’t get to do that for most of the film and the moments she does get to be fun and interesting are extremely fleeting.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I will argue that Carol being amnesiac and essentially brainwashed as an emotionless soldier for 80% of the movie is far more to blame than Brie Larson’s performance. When the script allows Carol to be Carol, it’s a great performance. The problem is that she doesn’t get to do that for most of the film and the moments she does get to be fun and interesting are extremely fleeting.
I fully agree. Brie is a great actress, but she's not the kind of actress who can carry a weak role. The writing/directing was weak. Other than a few scenes in that movie and one or two moments in Endgame, the writing for Carol has been weak.

While I didn't really care for Captain Marvel, I think the sequel is one of my most anticipated MCU films. I'm hoping for a Dark World to Ragnarok kind of change and could definitely see it happening.

TheOriginalTiki

Updated Orlando trip itinerary

3/1 - Arrival/Fun Spot Orlando
3/2 - Universal
3/3 - Universal
3/4 - Hollywood Studios
3/5 - Funspot Kissimmee and Animal Kingdom After Hours
3/6 - SeaWorld
3/7 - Discovery Cove
3/8 - ??? (will probably hit up Gatorland at some point this day, other than that it's up in the air)
3/9 - Busch Gardens

I did go ahead and spring for that Fun Spot season pass, so I'll likely be heading to Fun Spot Orlando at least one or two of the the non-Disney nights since most of the other parks close at 8PM. The main focus of this trip is definitely going to be coaster credits. I'll be hitting the 75 milestone on the trip and possibly the 80 milestone. Here's my current credits list in roughly chronological order.

1. Mad Mouse (J's Amusement Park)
2. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Disneyland)
3. Sea Serpent (Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk)
4. Cobra (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)
5. Runaway Reptar (California Great America)
6. Physco Mouse (California Great America)
7. Giant Dipper (Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk)
8. Huriccane (Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk)
9. Grizzly (California Great America)
10. Roar (Discovery Kingdom)
11. Timber Twister (Gilroy Gardens)
12. Quicksilver Express (Gilroy Gardens)
13. Gadget's Go Coaster (Disneyland)
14. Goofy's Sky School (California Adventure)
15. Matterhorn Bobsleds (Disneyland)
16. Space Mountain (Disneyland)
17. California Screamin' (California Adventure)
18. Medusa (Discovery Kingdom)
19. Kong (Discovery Kingdom)
20. Boomerang (Discovery Kingdom)
21. V2 (Discovery Kingdom)
22. Roar (Discovery Kingdom)
23. Colossus (Magic Mountain)
24. Scream (Magic Mountain)
25. Batman: The Ride (Magic Mountain)
26. Ninja (Magic Mountain)
27. Riddler's Revenge (Magic Mountain)
28. Apocalypse (Magic Mountain)
29. Goldrusher (Magic Mountain)
30. Revolution (Magic Mountain)
31. Revenge of the Mummy (Universal Hollywood)
32. Tony Hawk's Big Spin (Discovery Kingdom)
33. Demon (California Great America)
34. Top Gun (California Great America)
35. Vortex (California Great America)
36. Viper (Magic Mountain)
37. Superman: Ultimate Flight (Discovery Kingdom)
38. Goliath (Magic Mountain)
39. Full Throttle (Magic Mountain)
40. Tatsu (Magic Mountain)
41. Superman: Escape From Krypton (Magic Mountain)
42. X2 (Magic Mountain)
43. Ghostrider (Knotts)
44. Pony Express (Knotts)
45. Xcellerator (Knotts)
46. CoastRider (Knotts)
47. Jaguar (Knotts)
48. Silver Bullet (Knotts)
49. Sierra Sidewinder (Knotts)
50. Montezuma's Revenge (Knotts)
51. Joker (Discovery Kingdom)
52. Flight of the Hypogriff (Universal Hollywood)
53. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Magic Kingdom)
54. Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom)
55. Expedition Everest (Animal Kingdom)
56. Primevil Whirl (Animal Kingdom)
57. Barnstormer (Magic Kingdom)
58. Rock N' Rollercoaster (Hollywood Studios)
59. Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster (Universal Florida)
60. Incredible Hulk (Islands of Adventure)
61. Hangtime (Knotts)
62. Silnky Dog Dash (Hollywood Studios)
63. Goldstriker (California Great America)
64. Railblazer (California Great America)
65. Patriot (California Great America)
66. Batman (Discovery Kingdom)
67. Twisted Colossus (Magic Mountain)

Outbound

Original Poster
Saw Uncut Gems yesterday, not knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. Adam Sandler can do serious movies, and he possesses an insane charm while doing it. Even though the character in the script is a total scumbag, the sole fact they're played by Adam Sandler makes them instantly likable. The movie also handles tension very well, to the point I felt like I was in the gamble with Sandler. The whole movie I was wondering whether or not his bet would pay off... and the answer the movie comes up with is perfect.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, every movie I saw this year in theaters ranked worst to best. I missed a lot of the more dramatic, small scale films this year. I didn't get to go to the theater as often as in past years (Not working at a movie theater and no one in my family/friend circle working there anymore made it tougher lol). So, I tended to prioritize movies with more spectacle figuring the smaller films will work well to watch at home. BUT I have Stubs now, so my New Year's Resolution is to watch more indie films in theaters.

Worst to best

---Ugh Tier--
Dumbo
Dark Pheonix
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Missing Link (Very pretty, but I just didn't like it other than the animation. Same with most Laika films I've seen)

---Good, but forgettable or lacking impact---
Hot to Train your Dragon 3 (I've never been that into Httyd. This was my least favorite of the 3)
Lion King
Terminator Dark Fate
Men in Black International
Captain Marvel
Zombieland Double Tap (Probably would be lower, but I love the characters a lot lol)
Lego Movie 2
Knives Out (Could've been way higher on the list if two thirds of the cast didn't basically disappear from the third act in an ensemble film)
Detective Pikachu (Like Zombieland, my love of Pokemon made me put this higher up than it probably deserves)

---I liked it!---
Alitta: Battle Angel (Not caring about Captain Marvel and real liking Alitta was something the could NOT be said out loud without looking like a Men's Rights activist for a while there. But I think we're far enough away from that stupidity for me to say that this movie was pretty cool and Brie Larson's performance was wooden without me looking like a hateful basement dweller)
Aladdin (I liked it, fight me. Will Smith did great)
Star Wars Episode 9
IT Chapter 2 (There's so many dumb things in this movie, but what is good is just so freaking likeable)
Toy Story 4

---I loved it!---
Frozen 2
John Wick 3
Jumanji: The Next Level (Easily the funniest movie of the year for me)
Spider-Man Far From Home
Shazam
Avengers Endgame

---Movies I missed out on that I want to see but haven't yet---
Glass (Haven't seen the first two movies yet, so gotta see those first)
Happy death Day 2U
Us
Brightburn
Rocketman
Booksmart
Dora
Joker
Jojo Rabbit
Cats (It looks so bad!)
Update: Saw Cats. It was soooo much worse and soooo much more baffling than I was expecting! But in a very ironically enjoyable and fun way.

PerGron

Very disappointed in Six Flags. As a company that runs 2 zoological facilities, I’d expect them to be smarter and more ecologically aware than to release 2,020 balloons to celebrate. I know Six Flags over Texas is the only one who did this event, but it hurts my opinions as a whole towards the company and their lack of ecological awareness.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Very disappointed in Six Flags. As a company that runs 2 zoological facilities, I’d expect them to be smarter and more ecologically aware than to release 2,020 balloons to celebrate. I know Six Flags over Texas is the only one who did this event, but it hurts my opinions as a whole towards the company and their lack of ecological awareness.
Don't they make biodegradable/safe for animal balloons for balloon releases? Or am I wrong about that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom