The Rescuers - The Last Great Disney Film until The Little Mermaid?

JarretttheGuy

Original Poster

This week we watched 1977's The Rescuers.

I hadn't seen this one before, and it is incredibly charming!
The 70s soundtrack is kind of amazing, maybe because it reminds me of the music my mom would play?

Penny is the best "damsel in distress" for, even though she is in a bad situation, she still keeps her spirits up, and gives the bad guys sass.

Bernard is perfectly Bob Newhart, and the return of Eva Gabor as Ms. Bianca is a real treat.

This is definitely one to watch!

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
As I was working my way through the animated canon last year, The Rescuers was a bit of an interesting case for me. I watched, and really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't put my finger on why I didn't like it. I watched again a couple of times, but couldn't finish the movie out of boredom. I watched it once more, telling myself I'd finish the movie no matter what, and guess what? I finally liked it!

Matt_Black

Last Great Disney film before the Little Mermaid? Considering there were only four movies between them... There was a bigger stretch between Lilo & Stitch and The Princess & The Frog.

Anyway, it's okay. Rescuers Down Under is far superior, in my opinion.

SosoDude

The Great Mouse Detective isnt considered one if the "greats", but I liked it better than the Rescuers. I also agree with @Matt_Black that Rescuers Down Under was better than the original. I grew up with the original and just couldn't ever make myself like it. Hate the soundtrack and the artistic style. I didnt even like the color palette. I think the villan was pretty lame,also. My only fond memory of this movie is seeing it as the first half of a double feature. The second half was a movie about bigfoot. As a kid in the early 80's, a double feature was the Holy Grail of a Saturday night. Sorry to ramble. Back to the Rescuers....

Phroobar

I don't think I've ever made it all the way through The Great Mouse Detective. I'm a huge fan of Vincent Price and I like how they captured his movements in the movie but I just never liked the movie.

Now the Black Cauldron. Now that was a great movie! ;)

Matt_Black

Now the Black Cauldron. Now that was a great movie! ;)

You know, for at least the past year, that was my go-to film to joke about when talking about all the live-action remakes. "Well, we know ONE film that's not going to get that...." And then Disney had to go and RUIN it!

prberk

You know, for at least the past year, that was my go-to film to joke about when talking about all the live-action remakes. "Well, we know ONE film that's not going to get that...." And then Disney had to go and RUIN it!

Are they remaking The Black Cauldron, really? I think I missed that. I remember that being an interesting, quirky film. I remember a character named "Gertie" (maybe?). (Now, see, I could go to Wikipedia or Google and act like I remember it frame by frame, but I will not. I would rather show my lack of memory here.)

Who was the voice actor behind "Gertie"? Wasn't he John Bynham or something like that? He had some sort of comedy show on cable as I remember.

Anyway, a quirky movie. I do remember that it was a long time in production, and I remember liking it as different.

As for The Rescuers, it was one of my first dates. I liked it, and I did like the characters. Never saw the sequel though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom