The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup Begins!

MerHearted

Original Poster
In 1893, Lord Frederick Stanley, Governor General of Canada, presented a silver cup to the Montreal AAA, the country's top amateur hockey team. And from there, the legend began. For over a century, Lord Stanley's Cup has been battled for and defended as hockey's ultimate prize. The Cup has been passed down from generation to generation. It bears the names of greats like Richard, Béliveau, LaFleur, Howe, Gretzky, Messier, and Lemieux. To raise the sacred grail is the dream of anyone who has ever picked up a hockey stick. Boys leave their homes and families to chase it. Men sacrifice their bodies to touch it. They cry when they win it and cry when they lose it. They do it all for a mere shot at what it gives its champion, immortality.

And now the quest for Lord Stanley's Cup begins again.

This year will be extra special for me because for the first time in six years, my team, the Pittsburgh Penguins will be in it. So much has changed in six years. Not a single player from the 2001 team, the last to make the playoffs, remains. Gone are heroes like Lemieux, Jagr, Kovalev, Hedberg, Straka, Lang, and Kasparaitis. Through six years of watching from the sidelines, the Penguins have suffered through much turmoil, including an uncertain future. But that has all changed. The Penguins have been the best story in hockey all year. They now have a home. It's not Kansas City or Las Vegas or Houston but Pittsburgh, for good. And all those years of turmoil have produced its own reward, as they slowly assembled the finest cast of young talent, the likes of which have not been seen since the days of Gretzky's Edmonton Oilers. Everyone in the hockey world believes that the Penguins have the brightest future. In a few years, they would become an unstoppable force. But that was the future, not the present. They were seen as too young, too inexperienced. They were not ready yet. Unfortunately for the rest of the league, no one told the Penguins that. For them, the future is now.

Sidney Crosby: Dubbed at a young age as "The Next One" by Wayne Gretzky himself, he has lived with massive expectations his whole life. Viewed as the savior of not just the Penguins, but of all hockey, it seemed as though the expectations were too heavy to put on someone so young. Surprisingly, not only has Sidney reached those expectations, he's surpassed them. At just nineteen years old, he is already the best player in the league, becoming the youngest scoring champion ever.

Evgeni Malkin: The last of the trio of "superphenoms" that included Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni was held back by the politics of Russia. Choosing to wait no longer, Evgeni fled his homeland and Russian authorities to pursue his dream. In his debut year, Evgeni proved to the hockey world why he was viewed in such high regard. Arguably the Penguins' most talented player, his skills have been compared to that of Mario Lemieux.

Jordan Staal: Living the shadow of his brother Eric and the dynamic duo of Malkin and Crosby, the league's youngest player was not expected to make the team this year. He was seen as not ready for the play of this level and that another year in junior hockey would have been best for him. He didn't feel that way, however. Jordan surprised everyone by not only making the team but becoming one of its most important players. At just eighteen years old, he has shown a defensive maturity well beyond his years.

Marc-Andre Fleury: As the Penguins' young frachise goaltender, his natural talent was undeniable. However, what was in question was his ability to handle pressure. After spending years being juggled between the NHL, the AHL, and juniors, Marc-Andre finally found stability in his role this year. And with it, he has proven what an asset he is to the team, at times being its best player. He may only be 22, but so was Cam Ward last year.

Ryan Whitney: Selected behind Florida's Jay Bouwmeester and Philadelphia's Joni Pitkanen, Ryan fully believed that he was the best defensemen of his draft class and he has proven that this year. Becoming in an invaluable part of the team's lethal powerplay, he has become the elite offensive defenseman the Penguins had hoped he'd be.

With the veteran leadership of Mark Recchi, Gary Roberts, and Sergei Gonchar along with the role play of Max Talbot, Jarkko Ruuto, and Georges Laraque, these wonderkids are making a statement to the world. They have already exceeded expectations, whatever they accomplish now is just icing on the cake. It has been said that the Penguins are too young to know fear, too young to know that they aren't supposed to win. And that makes them a very dangerous team.

My Predictions:

Conference Quarterfinals

Eastern
New York Islanders(8) vs Buffalo Sabres(1)
Tampa Bay Lightning(7) vs New Jersey Devils(2)
New York Rangers(6) vs Atlanta Thrashers(3)
Pittsburgh Penguins(5) vs Ottawa Senators(4)

Western
Calgary Flames(8) vs Detroit Red Wings(1)
Minnesota Wild(7) vs Anaheim Ducks(2)
Dallas Stars(6) vs Vancouver Canucks(3)
San Jose Sharks(5) vs Nashville Predators(4)

Conference Semifinals

Eastern
Tampa Bay Lightning(7) vs Buffalo Sabres(1)
New York Rangers(6) vs Pittsburgh Penguins(5)

Western
Minnesota Wild(7) vs Detroit Red Wings(1)
Nashville Predators(4) vs Vancouver Canucks(3)

Conference Finals

Eastern
Pittsburgh Penguins(5) vs Buffalo Sabres(1)

Western
Nashville Predators(4) vs Detroit Red Wings(1)

Stanley Cup Finals

Pittsburgh Penguins vs Nashville Predators
(Cinderella only goes as far as the finals... see 03 Ducks, 04 Flames, and 06 Oilers.)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
At least you didn't eliminate ALL the Canadian teams in the first round! :rolleyes:

Not that it matters much, but I think the Senators will burst your bubble early on. It's always been Toronto that eliminates them... This year, they're a shoo-in! :D

MerHearted

Original Poster
At least you didn't eliminate ALL the Canadian teams in the first round! :rolleyes:

Not that it matters much, but I think the Senators will burst your bubble early on. It's always been Toronto that eliminates them... This year, they're a shoo-in! :D

There are only 3 of them! Calgary is NOT playing that great right now so I don't think they can handle Detroit. Vancouver I like. Ottawa... seeing how Philly's out of it, someone's gotta take up the mantle of perennial choke artists. :lookaroun

MerHearted

Original Poster
I'm really uneasy about my West predictions though. That conference is just so tight this year. Nashville could easily go down first round.

dandaman

Roberto Luongo's been really strong for the Canucks. I'd say he'll bring them farther than a lot of people think.

Sooooo... at least the Leafs went out on a win. :lookaroun

(Still can't believe Buffalo's "performance" against Philly earlier...)

MerHearted

Original Poster
Hehehehehe. :lookaroun

reel-honesty.jpg

MerHearted

Original Poster
Roberto Luongo's been really strong for the Canucks. I'd say he'll bring them farther than a lot of people think.

Sooooo... at least the Leafs went out on a win. :lookaroun

(Still can't believe Buffalo's "performance" against Philly earlier...)

They had nothing to play for.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
There are only 3 of them! Calgary is NOT playing that great right now so I don't think they can handle Detroit. Vancouver I like. Ottawa... seeing how Philly's out of it, someone's gotta take up the mantle of perennial choke artists. :lookaroun
I was actually pleased to see both Montreal and Toronto bounced, they didn't deserve to make the playoffs [though millions of my countrymen will now not watch the playoffs :shrug:]. Ottawa already has a local rep for being choke artists, I'm expecting that if they can stay healthy, they'll have a shot. Heatley, Spezza, Alfredson or Redden go down and we're goners.

SpongeScott

I'm actually hoping the Lightning make it all the way this year.
A month or so ago, I would have thought they had a really decent shot to make a good run at the Cup. They have really tanked coming down the stretch and have looked really, really bad in some losses. They'll never make it past the second round with the pitiful goaltending that they have.

I just don't see them getting past Buffalo.
Absolutely correct. Buffalo has dominated them this season.

hoppypooh

I

My Predictions:

Conference Quarterfinals

Eastern

Pittsburgh Penguins(5) vs Ottawa Senators(4)

Stanley Cup Finals

Pittsburgh Penguins vs Nashville Predators

Well Merhearted... as a girl who has lived in Ottawa her whole life, I'll try not to rub it in too much... But I don't suppose you're going to win your hockey pool now! :ROFLOL:

Buh-Bye Penguins! And good riddance to your overhyped season.

Gary Roberts: whether you are a Leaf or a Penguin, you're still a jerk.
Colby Armstrong: you can defend your "accidental" hits all you want, but you're dirty and sooner or later you'll get what's coming to you.
Sidney Crosby: I'll cheer for you... when you play for Canada in the 2010 Olympics! Until then, happy golfing!

Go Sens Go! :sohappy:

MerHearted

Original Poster
I'm proud of my Penguins. We made such an amazing leap this year. I can't wait till this offseason where we pick up last remaining pieces like a legitimate scoring winger (I'm look at you, Kariya!) and a couple of d-man. Hey guys, you did better than Edmonton in their first series, they got swept. I'm rooting for the Rangers now. Rangers success equals NHL success.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm proud of my Penguins. We made such an amazing leap this year. I can't wait till this offseason where we pick up last remaining pieces like a legitimate scoring winger (I'm look at you, Kariya!) and a couple of d-man. Hey guys, you did better than Edmonton in their first series, they got swept. I'm rooting for the Rangers now. Rangers success equals NHL success.
I'm impressed by the Penguins as well. They played well and got frustrated, but as a young team they've learnt a lot of good lessons in this series and I'm pretty sure within the next 2-3 years they'll be a powerhouse. Yes it got a little nasty a few times and some of the hits [both ways] were questionable, but it was a nice series to watch. I'm betting it'll be the hardest-fought of Ottawa's post-season.

Pittsburgh has nothing to be ashamed of. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom