The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

Cesar R M

Except that most people don't see Marvel as being Disney. They're smarter than that. Marvel existed as an entertainment entity for decades before it faltered and had to be propped up by Disney money. Disney doesn't need Marvel's over-muscled mutants to attract visitors to the parks. It's still got the mojo created by Walt going for it. That's all it will ever need as far as the parks are concerned. If superheroes were so vital to a park's success, then Universal would be a stronger competitor. It isn't. Simple.
I think we already had this discussion. Its amazing how many people jumped on the Marvel bandwagon, just because Disney owns them now.

bhg469

I think we already had this discussion. Its amazing how many people jumped on the Marvel bandwagon, just because Disney owns them now.
I did too but only because the first few movies have been fun. That cannot last. They're going to kill the genre with the saturation. DC is already about to embarrass themselves with the knee jerk reaction flick they expect to blow up. I don't see that beings very good and it's not batflecks fault this time.

Matt_Black

I did too but only because the first few movies have been fun. That cannot last. They're going to kill the genre with the saturation. DC is already about to embarrass themselves with the knee jerk reaction flick they expect to blow up. I don't see that beings very good and it's not batflecks fault this time.

If the genre is going to be killed with saturation, it won't be Marvel that does it. Now that Sony has reached a deal with Marvel, the big suspects are DC or Fox. The latter has already greenlit a sequel to Fantastic Four with a release date before the new one is even out yet.

Cesar R M

DC is a joke for me.
they try to push their "gritty style" everywhere.
Not to mention their stupid "Noone wants a Wonder Woman movie, because Women do not sell".
Meanwhile, the Hunger games were selling amazingly, other movies about women fighters sell very well (Lucy..etc..).

AEfx

Let me rephrase that, then- aside from all the characters, songs, and story elements taken from the animated portions of the movie?

And, most importantly...the animated portions of a film that outside of Disney fandom simply does not exist for all intents and purposes. It hasn't seen the light of day here in over 30 years, theatrically, and has never been on home media. Some home media releases internationally happened decades ago (last was on Laserdisc in 1990, which is where the bootlegs are generally sourced from). While clips of the animated sequences have made it into compilations/extras on other releases, they are isolated from the film itself.

In short, I'd be willing to bet that less than 1% of folks who ride the attraction on a daily basis would have any idea what "Song of the South" is.

lazyboy97o

Really?? That's interesting. I knew it was in the public domain in Japan, but I'm pretty surprised to hear that. In the US, it really might as well not exist.
I think we'd all probably be surprised by the number of people who may not know the specific film but would recognize it as coming from the Uncle Remus stories.

AEfx

I think we'd all probably be surprised by the number of people who may not know the specific film but would recognize it as coming from the Uncle Remus stories.

You really think so? In academic circles maybe, but those stories haven't been PC for decades - I just can't imagine a family sitting down to read "Little Black Sambo" in 2015. Or even 1985.

lazyboy97o

You really think so? In academic circles maybe, but those stories haven't been PC for decades - I just can't imagine a family sitting down to read "Little Black Sambo" in 2015. Or even 1985.
Little Black Sambo is not one of Harris' stories. Harris compiled folk tales he had heard. Why would that tradition die because of his publication? The Wren's Nest may not be the biggest attraction, but someone keeps visiting to keep it going.

FigmentJedi

The Brer animal stories are known enough that someone thought this was a good idea in 2006

MV5BMjE0MzgxOTMwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM2NzA0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

BrerJon

Really?? That's interesting. I knew it was in the public domain in Japan, but I'm pretty surprised to hear that. In the US, it really might as well not exist.

In China they've released it on Platinum Edition Blu-ray, with Bob Iger introducing it in blackface make-up, and a bluebird on his shoulder.

Did I say bluebird? I meant Communist Party official.

doctornick

I think very few people jumped on the bandwagon "because" Disney owns them. I think people "jumped on the bandwagon" because they are making great films with widespread appeal. Part of that comes from the financial stability of being owned by Disney, but that's incidental (could have been, say, Paramount owning them instead and had that result).

In terms of theme park stuff, I think people just want to see stuff actually built at WDW and Marvel -- being popular, owned by Disney, and a big part of their current film division -- seems like an obvious thing that "might" be built if they had the theme park rights for WDW (especially given the IP/cross-branding obsession that Iger has for the parks). But people are just as eager to grasp to the idea of Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Monsters Inc or whatever coming to the parks if given a glimmer of hope.

Cesar R M

I think very few people jumped on the bandwagon "because" Disney owns them. I think people "jumped on the bandwagon" because they are making great films with widespread appeal. Part of that comes from the financial stability of being owned by Disney, but that's incidental (could have been, say, Paramount owning them instead and had that result).

In terms of theme park stuff, I think people just want to see stuff actually built at WDW and Marvel -- being popular, owned by Disney, and a big part of their current film division -- seems like an obvious thing that "might" be built if they had the theme park rights for WDW (especially given the IP/cross-branding obsession that Iger has for the parks). But people are just as eager to grasp to the idea of Star Wars or Indiana Jones or Monsters Inc or whatever coming to the parks if given a glimmer of hope.
no, I mean the bulk of people who now says marvel is the best thing since sliced bread or betty white. Just because Disney now owns Marvel.

Magenta Panther

Both Song of the South and Peter Pan are based upon non-studio generated IP. Joel Chandler Harris and J. M. Barrie generated those pieces of IP.

Which Disney adapted and made its own signature versions of. Neither had been fully adapted for animation or the big screen before (there was a short, silent version of Peter Pan that Walt saw as a kid, apparently, but it was a minor effort). The difference is, Marvel characters have already been fully developed as movie and TV properties. They are not Disney-adapted or created characters. They have no Disney "magic". And never will. They are acquisitions purchased primarily for their merchandising. There's a big difference between Walt Disney and Robert Iger. If you're a Disney fan, you need to learn that difference. Stat!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom