The Old Disney Channel

JimboJones123

Although I could easily see a classic Disney channel out drawing ESPN Classic even if you eliminate the sports bars that carry it, it would be mainly in direct competition with the rest of Disney's fringe cable networks. There is a nitch, and a replay schedule of 4-5 hours of programming wild be easy enough to throw together. But it would have been done by now if there ever were plans to go forward. I don't see it happening if it hasn't happened yet.

MickeyJman06

I can't stand all this Hannah Montana & Jonas Brothers crap!!!!!
ME TOO!!!! i like the Disney with the classic cartoons that have wonderful storys compared to HSM! i dont really watch Disney anymore because its all Hannah Montanna marathons now, im glad Miley's featured on Yahoo! because what they say sounds like, well lets just say "Inappropriate to Disney's POV"

shmmrname

1. I agree that a Disney channel aimed more towards 'classic' entertainment would be a great idea. Maybe not just 'classic' material, but, in general, just a mix of material from outside the last five years.

2. While I do have my concerns, my wife and I still think the Disney Channel is fairly entertaining. I mean, no one is more upset over shows like Boy Meets World, Even Stevens, etc. being pulled. But, at the same time, I can't say there's nothing I like on it anymore. I just wish they would offer shows in less-concentrated amounts. It seems like the 2-3 newest, most-popular shows take up an unproportionate amount of airtime. Diversity would really help break up the time slots.

3. The DVD's recently released (last two years?) have been great. I have been able to find some of the classic cartoons that I grew up watching.

PaisleyMF

You know i will take the Vault Disney Channel to whole new level. And this is pure marketing in disguise: A lot of the old favorites, Inside Out, MMC and so on, Now and then just before the DVD release something like the Disneyland's 50th Anniversary special, One night only and still is a Classic channel with a new twist. And of course from the New Disney Channel.

tirian

Disney needs to make a Vault Disney channel—their version of Turner Classic Movies. The network could alternate cartoons, television shows, and feature-length Disney films through daytime and primetime; then it could air classic Touchstone films after 9:00 pm. I'm willing to bet the channel would be extremely popular. Plus, the Disney channel could continue to evolve (as it should).

I'm quoting myself to add a few things:

1) In addition to a one-hour block of animated shorts, attach an animated short to each full-length, live-action movie.

2) Avoid the temptation to create programming blocks aimed at preschoolers, teenagers, etc.

3) Make late-night programming classic Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures films (of course, nothing past PG-13).

Time Warner's Boomerang and TCM channels are extremely successful. I'm shocked that Disney hasn't responded to them...yet we have Toon Disney with its pitiful attempt to take down Cartoon Network and NickToons.

BrennaRN

Original Poster
I am currently reading ... An American Original Walt Disney by Bob Thomas and came across an excerpt that couldn't apply to this thread more.....

The basis for the following quote excerpt came from the directors of ABC wanting Disney to do something more with his programming according to what the audience wanted.

"Walt disliked being forced to turn out product to fit an audience formula."

What the crap???? Why in the world do we have HM, HSM, CR????? Do what brought the success in the first place.

darthjohnny

I am currently reading ... An American Original Walt Disney by Bob Thomas and came across an excerpt that couldn't apply to this thread more.....

The basis for the following quote excerpt came from the directors of ABC wanting Disney to do something more with his programming according to what the audience wanted.

What the crap???? Why in the world do we have HM, HSM, CR????? Do what brought the success in the first place.

You may have just answered your own question. When the original High School Musical came out, they were just trying to do something that hadn't been done in a long time. No one expected it to become the success that it was. The product didn't fit the typical formula and the audience went crazy for it.

fizzle75

I'm afraid you're entering "which came first...the chicken or the egg?" territory there my friend.

I Think the new shows are ok on TDC. My kids do enjoy them, and as someone pointed out, to them THIS will be thier cherished Disney Channel Memories. Its all about perspective. There should be a place for both.

I do think the Vault Disney Channel concept would work quite well. TVLand has shown that. And yes eventually TVLand did change its programming and if VDC came to be, it will have to adapt and change becasue more people will have different memories.

Right now there is NO outlet other then YouTube to watch the old shows. I think Disney is missing out on serviceing a segment of its fanbase by not providing it.

Great memories and discussion though. Thanks to everyone for keeping it friendly and fun!

:wave:

I agree, I think a lot of us can't appreciate current Disney channel shows or movies because we're older and we have a set idea of what we want to see. People complain and complain that things like HSM aren't really Disney-esque and we forget that it really isn't that different from the teenybopper Hayley Mills movies of the 60's, just updated to fit todays generation.

CBug88

I agree! I do miss the Old Disney Channel! It was by far better than today's. It used to get me so excited to go visit WDW, esp w/ the commericals of what is/was going on in the parks. We need some Imagineers to breakthru and design a new channel of Disney Classics and updates of what is going on in the World!:sohappy:

PKD

One thing to keep in mind is that during the 80's and 90's, the Disney Channel was offered as a Premium station. You had to pay extra to get it.

This is one reason all the shows ran without commercials, and all the filler was at the end of the show/movie.

Now that the Disney Channel isn't premium anymore, they have to find ways to get advertisers to pay for the programming.

Do do miss all the old snippets between showings and DTV was great!!!!! Kids Inc & The New MMC were the best!!

I was just watching Pocohantas on the Disney Channel and I thought about something..........I know I'm 29, but Heavens do I miss the old disney channel when they use to show the classic cartoons, classic movies (The Ugly Daschund, The Love Bug, The Parent Trap, etc.) I can't stand all this Hannah Montana & Jonas Brothers crap!!!!! I know it's the generation, but I would love to be able to watch all the old cartoons somewhere. I've put several in my Netflix queue to watch, but I miss the classics like The Old Mill, etc. Does anyone else feel the same?

I want my MTV! (and old Disney channel!)

sbkline

I may be wrong, and hopefully I am, but I am afraid that the modern PC movement may be behind the absence of many of the old classics...the shorts in particular. It's becoming harder and harder to find the old Looney Toons on TV, for example, especially Speedy Gonzales. Presumably because they are so filled with those evil racist stereotypes (and I say that as I roll my eyes, so please note the sarcasm). Even on the Disney Treasures DVDs, we had to have that Leonard Maltin guy give those idiotic intros before any shorts that contained those horribly racist stereotypes, reminding us how much we've evolved and become enlightened since those caveman days (rolling my eyes again).

So, since many of the classics are filled with things that are now so "offensive" and un-PC, rather than have to find some dude to give an idiotic spiel in front of all of them, perhaps it's just easier not to even show them in the first place and avoid any possible controversy. Does anyone else think that this may be a big part of the reason why these shows aren't to be found on the Disney Channel anymore? Or am I just reading too much into things?

But I would love to see these old classics added back to the Disney Channel, or to have a whole new channel added which would feature the old shorts, and movies (both live action and animated). I enjoy several of the new Disney Channel shows, so I don't think that they all have to go. I think they can coexist with the classics, either by coexisting them on the same channel, or by giving them each their own channel.

nelsonj3

I was just watching Pocohantas on the Disney Channel and I thought about something..........I know I'm 29, but Heavens do I miss the old disney channel when they use to show the classic cartoons, classic movies (The Ugly Daschund, The Love Bug, The Parent Trap, etc.) I can't stand all this Hannah Montana & Jonas Brothers crap!!!!! I know it's the generation, but I would love to be able to watch all the old cartoons somewhere. I've put several in my Netflix queue to watch, but I miss the classics like The Old Mill, etc. Does anyone else feel the same?

I couldn't agree more!! I miss so many of those old Disney Channel shows. It seems so watered down and "In-your face" now. I really can't stand to watch it. Sometimes Toon Disney plays some classic cartoons, but that's about it. I remember Disney Inside Out, Pooh Corner, and Dumbo's Circus, just to name a few of the older shows.

nelsonj3

I may be wrong, and hopefully I am, but I am afraid that the modern PC movement may be behind the absence of many of the old classics...the shorts in particular. It's becoming harder and harder to find the old Looney Toons on TV, for example, especially Speedy Gonzales. Presumably because they are so filled with those evil racist stereotypes (and I say that as I roll my eyes, so please note the sarcasm). Even on the Disney Treasures DVDs, we had to have that Leonard Maltin guy give those idiotic intros before any shorts that contained those horribly racist stereotypes, reminding us how much we've evolved and become enlightened since those caveman days (rolling my eyes again).

So, since many of the classics are filled with things that are now so "offensive" and un-PC, rather than have to find some dude to give an idiotic spiel in front of all of them, perhaps it's just easier not to even show them in the first place and avoid any possible controversy. Does anyone else think that this may be a big part of the reason why these shows aren't to be found on the Disney Channel anymore? Or am I just reading too much into things?

But I would love to see these old classics added back to the Disney Channel, or to have a whole new channel added which would feature the old shorts, and movies (both live action and animated). I enjoy several of the new Disney Channel shows, so I don't think that they all have to go. I think they can coexist with the classics, either by coexisting them on the same channel, or by giving them each their own channel.

This is probably very true. Sad, but true.

With the advent of Digital Cable and Digital Satellite TV (along with IPTV), maybe it is possible to have a Disney Channel Classic on the Digital Tier of most cable companies. They already have ESPN Classic for classic sports reruns and AMC for classic movie reruns, why not a channel for classic Disney Movie and TV Show reruns. It really could be a hit!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom