The Old Disney Channel

CThaddeus

Count me in as another person who thinks the Disney Channel is now one of the worst cable channels out there. Flash back less than 10 years ago and I would have said it was my favorite. Now, you can find more recent Disney movies on Starz!, more Disney Park shows on The Travel Channel, more older Disney films on TCM and Hallmark, and more general Disney stuff on Food Network and the History Channel than you can on the Disney Channel or Toon Disney. Why would it be so hard for Disney to pull all that stuff in and put it on one channel again? At the very least they should bring back "Walt Disney Presents." Having to wait for them to release the episodes on DVD is like waiting for a snail to make its way across the country. They can still show their dopey "Hannah Montana" and whatever if they want; just give those of us who want to see classic Disney stuff a nightly block again.
Oh, and to raiden, it's actually: "Gummi Bears, bouncing here and there and everywhere. High adventure that's beyond compare. They are the Gummi Bears." Yes, I watched it a lot, too.

Mimi

I don't even know where to begin! I'm 33 & grew up on the old Disney Channel. Donald Duck Presents, The old Mickey Mouse Club, Dumbo's Circus, Live Action Winnie the Pooh & my absolute favorite...Dateline Disney, where they would have mini-segments that would show new things going on in the parks.

OMG! Live-action Winnie the Pooh!!! I just had a flash-back! I completely forgot about that show! I used to watch that and Dumbo's Circus before school each morning... and of course DTV when I got home.

I'm with the rest of you. I don't know how those shows would do with today's kids but I'd love to see them again on a classic Disney channel. I REALLY miss the classic Disney films and cartoons!!! The cartoons especially are timeless; they are as fun now as when they were originally released.

- Is it just me, or does everything on the new Disney Channel seem to be very loud and fast? I always feel like I'll get sensory-overload if I leave it on for more than a few minutes.

maryszhi

i miss the old disney channel. the only thing i like about it is seeing the jonas brothers on all the time, and when they show movies ande stuff. i still like hannah montana, and i love wizards of waverly place and phenius and ferb, but thats it. i miss the spark that the shows use to have

maryszhi

i also miss the classic disney at night, with the original mmc and such, but that seems to still be long gone with no plans to bring it back. i think they should make a classic disney channel

Put me in this group as well. I used to love watchin the Disney Channel 10-15 years ago. It was so much fun!

Goof Troop
Chip N Dales Rescue Rangers
Talespin
The Classic Cartoons
The spots about the parks

It was wonderful!!

The Quality of the shows on there now is terrible.
The comedy is SO dumbed down. It's really sad.
Children are smarter than that.

Missing20K

i miss the old disney channel. the only thing i like about it is seeing the jonas brothers on all the time, and when they show movies ande stuff. i still like hannah montana, and i love wizards of waverly place and phenius and ferb, but thats it. i miss the spark that the shows use to have

For missing the old Disney Channel, you seem to like a lot of the new programs they air. :animwink: But seriously, I don't think I would have a problem with the shows as much if they didn't show them constantly. I liken it to a top 40 radio station. Even if the song is half decent, after the umpteenth time hearing it, you want to pull a Van Gogh. I think these shows are quite similar. With the exception of Playhouse Disney they just keep airing the same 8 or 10 shows. :brick: Ok, I'm done venting on the Disney Channel and it's shortcomings.

Oh do I miss the old Disney Channel! I have many fond childhood memories of eating my lunch in front of the TV and watching Winnie the Pooh and The Little Mermaid cartoon.

slappy magoo

Just a few minorly-snarky points...

I like how people bring up TVLand as an example of a good retro-spinoff of Nickelodeon. Because TVLand is constantly evolving as well. Many of the shows on TVLand now, were brand new when TVLand first started. I liked Roseannae but I have zero nostalgia for it, and I can do without ever seeing Full House again. But it's nostalgia for SOMEBODY. Meanwhile, I miss Make Room For Daddy, Father Knows Best, Bewitched/Jeannie...I know they still air Leave It To Beaver, and I Love Lucy, and westerns, but a lot of the OLD OLD stuff, the stuff I'd feel nostalgic for, is now...TOO old.

Meanwhile, I seriously suspect Disney is saving all their old stuff for DVD. I'd be all about a classic disney channel, too. I'd even be cool with a pay per view model, ala the Howard Stern Channel, pay a monthly price, have access to hundreds of hours of old stuff on demand. But it's probably more cost effective for them to churn out DVDs than it is to develop and maintain a whole nother network. What I'd suggest is ripping your DVDs to your computer (DO NOT STEAL, only rip what you own, fair use copyright laws apply to making a backup copy of what you own), then use a home network to create your own on-demand Disney Classics channel. It'll do until the real thing comes along.

DABIGCHEEZ

While I loved the classic Disney Channel shows like Tailspin, Ducktales , Darkwing Duck and the WDW specials, I now have kids that enjoy the Hannahs, Jonas's, Camp Rocks, Cory's and Suite Life and Wizards. While I do not enjoy these shows..... I am not the target audience and it seems they hit a bullseye with most of these.
I think since we "grew-up" with these shows .... they will always be near and dear to us, just as today's shows will be near and dear to this generation. I just wonder what my parents were thinking and saying back when I used to watch all the shows geared to me back then....... probably the same things this generation will be saying 15-20 years down the road.

That being said... a whole Classic DTV channel is a great idea.

vwayfan123

i miss it too. remember when it was a premium channel and you had to pay for it? i loved when they were giving free previews of it (because we never had it :() i would watch it all the time

but not only do i miss the old shows they used to have, i miss how the disney channel hardly has anything to do with the disney parks. i miss the commercials they would have about disney world, and that show, disney world inside out i think it was called.

silverboyd

i liked the old DC the best too...but if you have digital cable...you can still catch stuff on the channel, ToonDisney. They have the great shows like:

Talespin
Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
Goof Troop
Gargoyles

VickiMints

Is it just me, or does everything on the new Disney Channel seem to be very loud and fast? I always feel like I'll get sensory-overload if I leave it on for more than a few minutes.

Wow, I'm so glad to know it's not just me... but maybe my opinion is a little out there! I swear, every time I would change to the Disney Channel, I'd have to race for the Volume button to turn it down - I wondered if the cable company just put that channel through a little bit louder than the others...

Blackie Pueblo

Memoriiiiiiiies! Wow I miss old Disney television. I think they are really missing the boat here. Granted all the teen shows etc are great but they really should have more diversity. Imagine how great it would be to show the classic movies like you've all said. OR imagine having promo commercials or shows for the park. This would be fun, entertaining, and would help promote the parks.

Imagine shows like we see on The Travel Channel, or The Food Network about Disney. Hotel shows. Heck, I've got great ideas. I'll even host a talk show that talks all bout Disney and shows cartoons, and interviews cast members and promotes rides. Hire Me Disney. Do it Now!

"I suppose my formula might be: dream, diverstify-and never miss and angle."
---Walter Elias Disney

BrennaRN

Original Poster
Ya'll have made me all nostalgic. I went to youtube last night and looked up about 40 old cartoons......Johnnie Fedora & Alice Blue Bonnet, I'm No Fool..............gosh, I loved it. I even looked up old promos and loved it. I checked our local cable company and we do have Disney on Demand.......well guess what it list???? Zach & Cody, Camp Rock, etc. I would love to know who to write to just voice my opinion. Looking at those videos last night took me right back to being small when everything Disney was wonderful!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom