The Official "Explore Southern California!" Thread

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
Hollywood and Highland Center (outdoor shopping mall):

Hollywood&HighlandQuad.jpg
Those catwalk-ish walkways are for viewing the Hollywood sign off in the distance.

jmb2676

I personally like that area. I don't have recommendations for for places right on Hollywood or Highland, but I have stayed at the Renaissance Hotel (right by the Hollywood and Highland Center), now called the Loews Hollywood Hotel, and I loved it. What's your price range?
We stayed at the Loews Hollywood and it was great. Perfect location for our Hollywood/LA plans before heading to Disneyland.

gboiler1

Lots of places of interest right there as well include the Disney Soda Fountain right next to the El Cap and Jimmy Kimmel Live on the other side. A short walk east is the Egyptian Theater if you enjoy the classic style. I want to hit the tour there next time. We did the tour at the Kodak, now Dolby and the Chinese. No photos allowed at the Kodak.
Also down by the Egyptian is the Pig & Fife, I think I got the name right. It's an old Hollywood hang out with beautiful wood and I think its supposed to be haunted.
Also in the area is Mel's Diner for some good malt shop type burgers, etc. Plenty of kitschy museums in the are too. Ripley's, Madame Tussaude's, Frederick's of Hollywood, etc. If planned right you could spend most of the day in a two or three block area especially if you catch a movie. We saw one at the El Capitan just because its an awesome venue.

gboiler1

Oh and if you head west, I think is the Roosevelt Hotel, sight of first Academy Awards. And if you hit LaBrea that's the street where Kat Von D's High Voltage tattoo shop is located.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

What?: The California Science Center

Where?: South Los Angeles, near USC

How much?: Parking is ten bucks, but entry is completely free. That's a bonus.

How far from Disneyland?: 30+ miles away, with a 30-45 minute drive

The California Science Center is one of the main destinations SoCal kids take field trips to in elementary school. I know I took at least two or three trips there when I was in grade school, not to mention all the side trips (I've lived within a fifteen minute drive all my life). The Science Center is not only educational, it's fun and interesting as well. One thing I find really cool about the Science Center is they haven't updated their look in certain places. I went a couple of months ago and I felt like I had gone back to the 90's. It's dated, but still cool. They've added some new things since I was a kid, including an aquarium-like area and the grand Endeavour, which, sadly, I have yet to see. Speaking of the Endeavor, they do charge a small fee to see it (two bucks, I think). There are plenty of exhibits to check out. Whether you enjoy the Science Center or not, you can't go wrong with free admission. Nearby is the African American Museum, the Rose Garden, the Natural History Museum (I haven't been there since I was a kid and I'm dying to go back!) and the famous Coliseum, the venue where the 1932 and 1984 Olympics were held.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0153911e8795970b-600wi

California_Science_Center_04.jpg

CalScienceCtr2_SM.jpg

Learn about how the body works with Tess, the 50-foot, woman! She kind of scared me as a child.

CA_SCIENCE_CENTER01.jpg_display.jpg

706929main_endeavour_exhibit.jpg

Science is cool!

3028002903_9b280250cd.jpg

Just for fun...

California African American Museum:

sz-660x310-california-african-american-museum-13.jpg

Rose Garden:

Exposition_Park_Rose_Garden_(Los_Angeles).JPG

rosegarden-800.jpg

Natural History Museum:

natural-history-museum.jpg

Los-Angeles-Natural-History-Museum-in-USA.jpg

Coliseum:

Los_Angeles_Memorial_Coliseum_(Entrance).JPG

Throwback!

1932 Olympics:

olympics_1932_coliseum02.jpg

1984 Olympics:

Olympic_Torch_Tower_of_the_Los_Angeles_Coliseum.jpg

What the heck, I'll throw in a shout out to USC while I'm at it. Go Trojans!

PHOTO_Campus.jpg

Californian Elitist

What?: Sports games!

Where?: Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Diego

How far from Disneyland?: Depends. Could either be a 30-45 minute drive, a 5 minute drive or 60+ minute drive.

How much?: Depends.

SoCal, especially Los Angeles, has multiple sports teams. LA has two baseball teams (yes, the Angels are from LA, they just play in Anaheim), two basketball teams, a soccer team and a hockey team. San Diego hosts the Padres and Anaheim hosts the Ducks. I don't think I need to go into detail on how much fun going to sports games is. The crowds are fun, the food is good (but expensive) and it's always great when your team wins!

Staples Center, where the Lakers, the Clippers and the Kings play:

Staples+Center.jpg

Los-Angeles-Lakers-e1355452167961-1024x624.jpg

los-angeles-clippers-bench.jpg

hi-res-146186649-dustin-brown-of-the-los-angeles-kings-reacts-after_crop_650x440.jpg

Dodgers play at Dodger Stadium, not too far way from Staples Center:

03_2013_DODGER_STADIUM.jpg

dodgers_gr3y3yas_299kt0pb.jpg

LA Galaxy plays at the StubHub Center in Carson.

Home-Depot.jpg

soccer-fans-la-galaxy-pre-season-roster-and-schedule-fantastic-317666.jpg

The Angels, although an LA team, play in Angel Stadium in Anaheim, right down the street from Disneyland!

angel-stadium-entrance.jpg

Oakland+Athletics+v+Los+Angeles+Angels+Anaheim+8X99EiXqcSPl.jpg

The Anaheim Ducks (not an LA team) play in the Honda Center, also not far from Disneyland.

10_honda_center_limousine.jpg

ConditioningCamp644.jpg

The San Diego Padres play in PetCo (haha!) Park.

Opening_Day_2009_Petco_Park.jpg

hi-res-147900273_crop_650x440.jpg

Figments Friend

What?: Various activities on Hollywood and Highland

Where?: Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Street

How Far From Disneyland?: At least 35 miles away, with an average 35-60 minute drive

How Much?: Depends.

Hollywood and Highland is famous for the locations of shops, eateries, attractions and the tons of weird and dirty people you'll find there. Located on Hollywood and Highland is the seriously famous Chinese Theatre, the El Capitan Theatre, the Hollywood and Highland Center, the Dolby Theatre (formerly known as the Kodak Theater), the Hollywood Walk of Fame and more. Hollywood and Highland is very much a tourist destination and is always packed with people. The Chinese Theatre is always hosting movie premieres, so there are times where certain parts of the streets are completely blocked off, even more when the Oscars are being held (held in the Dolby Theatre). Although there are plenty of creepy and just downright weird people on Hollywood and Highland (have you seen those awful costumes?!), it's still considered a nice hang out spot for Angelenos.

The El Capitan, which exclusively plays Disney films:

ElCapitanTheatreHollywood.JPG

el-capitan.jpg

Chinese Theatre (no, not the faux one in DHS):

graumanschinese.jpg

Movie premiere, specifically Ocean's Thirteen:

1137688037_a993d632a0_z.jpg

Classic moment at the Chinese Theatre:

Chinese_Theatre_courtyard_Lemmon_MacLaine.jpg

Dolby Theatre:

Dolby-Theatre-Wide-Shot_lg.jpg

Oscars:

18oscar-at-kodak-theatre5.jpg

movies-oscars-2013-atmosphere-4.jpg

Hollywood and Highland Center (outdoor shopping mall):

Hollywood&HighlandQuad.jpg

hollywood_highland_center(1)_large.jpg

Walk of Fame:

;)

Walt_Disney's_star_on_the_Hollywood_Walk_of_Fame.jpg

060309-015..jpg

hollywood-disneyland-star.jpg

143236458_AE_1249_4F72402BBBB77A79DC7A6722F960118B.jpg

Can't forget the ridiculous characters...:

The-Hollywood-Highland-Character-Count-December-6-1.jpg

The-Hollywood-Highland-Character-Count-September-7-1.jpg

...and the tourists:

Miss_Teen_USA_2007_delegates_Hollywood_and_Highland_March_2007_3.png

The-Hollywood-Highland-Character-Count-August-10-1.jpg

:joyfull:

Seeing the photos of the 'costumed characters' outside on Hollywood Blvd reminds me of my first visit there in the Summer of 2012.
I was not entirely sure what to expect.

I was with a friend who is a old time cinema buff and wanted to check out the El Capitan while we were in the DL area, so we ventured over one afternoon to partake in the scene.

Before i arrived, i was under the impression the area was a bit run down and basically just your typical 'touristy spot'....
Imagine my surprise seeing all those costumed characters walking around!

Yeah, surreal is not the word for it.
I felt like i was at a convention for mascots.
It was hilarious and random.

Of course they ALL want to have their picture taken with you...for a price in many cases.
So a gentle warning for those going ...especially with kids...who will find all the random characters a attraction in their own right.

The down side was that the scene also tended to attract a lot of hucksters and eccentric folks trying to 'sell' you tours of the area..and anything under the sun related off of the sidewalk.

Worth experiencing at least once...yes.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
Seeing the photos of the 'costumed characters' outside on Hollywood Blvd reminds me of my first visit there in the Summer of 2012.
I was not entirely sure what to expect.

I was with a friend who is a old time cinema buff and wanted to check out the El Capitan while we were in the DL area, so we ventured over one afternoon to partake in the scene.

Before i arrived, i was under the impression the area was a bit run down and basically just your typical 'touristy spot'....
Imagine my surprise seeing all those costumed characters walking around!

Yeah, surreal is not the word for it.
I felt like i was at a convention for mascots.
It was hilarious and random.

Of course they ALL want to have their picture taken with you...for a price in many cases.
So a gentle warning for those going ...especially with kids...who will find all the random characters a attraction in their own right.

The down side was that the scene also tended to attract a lot of hucksters and eccentric folks trying to 'sell' you tours of the area..and anything under the sun related off of the sidewalk.

Worth experiencing at least once...yes.
There is a very good documentary available on Netflix streaming called "Confessions of a Superhero" that gives more detail on some of the costumed characters from Hollywood Blvd. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes!

confessions_of_a_superhero_01.jpg

Californian Elitist

Museum time.

What?: LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art)

Where?: Los Angeles, CA

How far from Disneyland?: Roughly 35 miles away, with a 45-60 minute drive.

How much?: Depends.

LACMA is a very large and impressive art museum in Los Angeles. It holds art from various time periods and countries. The museum sometimes hosts public events, as well. One doesn't have to be an art lover to be entertained here. It's a great museum.

BCAM_01_main.jpg

2100521_059_LACMA_Resnick_m8.jpg

burden_urban-light_lacma.jpg

LACMA was featured in No Strings Attached (0:15):

What?: The Museum of Tolerance

Where?: Los Angeles, California

How far from Disneyland?: Roughly 36 miles away, with a 45-60 minute drive.

How much?: $15.50 for adults and $11.50 for children.

The Museum of Tolerance is a museum that focuses on hate, racism and prejudice around the world, with a heavy focus on the Holocaust. I haven't visited in the last couple of years, but I'm pretty certain the tour guides are still Holocaust survivors, tattoos included. I don't know if they still do this, but in the beginning of the tour, you are given the identification of a Holocaust victim, and at the end of the tour, you find out if that person lived or died. Mine died :(. I'm not going to lie, this place will break your heart, but it is eye-opening. I highly recommend.

0257.Simon_Wiesenthal_Center-wikicommons.jpg

251.jpg

ill7a.jpg

Gas chamber replica (this messed me up a bit):

mot.png

What?: Petersen Automotive Museum

Where?: Los Angeles, California, right across the street from LACMA!

How far from Disneyland?: See info on LACMA.

How much?: $15 for adults and $5 for children.

The Petersen Automotive Museum is a seriously cool place that "specializes" in, you guessed it, cars throughout history. We went one day and my mom spotted an old milk truck and doughnut truck, the ones that would drive through neighborhoods for service. Brought back a lot of memories for her. There are all kinds of cars here. It's neat to learn about so many cars.

Interesting fact, rapper Biggie Smalls was shot and killed right in front of the Petersen in 1997.

petersen2.jpg

Peterson-Automotive-Museum-Street-Scape1337179992.jpg.png

petersen_automotive_museum_001_.jpg

petersen-automotive-museum.jpg

0908cct_08_z%2Bpetersen_automotive_museum%2B1932_helicron.jpg

;)

Petersen-Museum-Comedy-and-Cars-Lightning-McQueen.jpg

Blueliner

A quick note . . . One of the highlights of our trip to Southern California for the Tournament of Rose Parade was our visit to Crystal Cove State Park (mentioned earlier in this thread) last Saturday. It is just a really neat blast from the past with old cabins from the 30's-50's and spectacular ocean views. The Beachcomber was able to squeeze us in for dinner and was a good little restaurant. If you are staying near Disneyland, it is not much of a drive, and the views as you glide down Newport Coast Drive toward the Pacific Coast Highway are quite impressive.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A65%3C%3Dot%3E2%3C25%3D965%3D349%3DXROQDF%3E27%3B%3C%3B795%3A4258ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv65%3A%3Enu%3D36%3C%3B%3E%3B%3A6%3E744%3E27%3B%3C%3B%3A6835258ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5%3B86%3Dot%3E27%3B%3C%3D%3C97%3D839%3D36%3C%3B%3C97748349nu0mrj

Californian Elitist

What?: Bob's Big Boy (original location)

Where?: Burbank, California (same vicinity as the Walt Disney Studios)

How far from Disneyland?: About 40 miles away, with a at least a 45 minute drive

How much?: Depends. Prices are reasonable, though.

Bob's Big Boy is considered a California landmark, specifically the original in Burbank. I absolutely love Bob's, mainly because the restaurant's look hasn't changed much. The restaurant opened in 1949. All of the old signs are still up, as well as the vintage-looking drive-thru speaker, which is so cool (I'm a sucker for late 40's/50's things)! The car hop sign is still up as well. Inside the restaurant, there are all types of different memorabilia from the restaurant's past, including the original menu. After a gig at the Hollywood Bowl one night, the Beatles came in to Bob's and ate. There's a plaque next to the booth where they ate. The famous double-decker cheeseburger is so good, and Bob's makes the best cherry cokes. Possibly the best thing about Bob's is the car show every Friday night. Embracing the well-known car culture in California back in the 50's, there are all types of cool and classic automobiles and hot rods parked in the parking lot that are shown off every Friday night. It is seriously cool, but it's very popular and can get crowded. This goes for the restaurant as well. Plenty of locals begin to show up in the evenings. Bob's has great service, food and atmosphere. I'd recommend it.

BobsBigBoy_Burbank.jpg

BobsBigBoy001bsblurr.jpg

Big_Boy.jpg

4585066387_cc3bc68a18_o.jpg

Car show:

dscn8140.jpg

BobCarShow%252B235.JPG

hrdp_1007w_bobs_big_boy_car_show_0545.jpg

7171554777_e59768665d_o.jpg

fbp

Thanks again for the continued posts! Planning on visiting lots of the suggestions during our upcoming trip.

Should we catch a Ducks game or a Kings game? The LA Live Centre the Kings arena is in looks like fun, but is the Ducks arena in a notable area as well?

I'm excited about watching a hockey game in a building landscaped with palm trees. Ours is landscaped with the suburbs and cold.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Thanks again for the continued posts! Planning on visintg lots of the suggestions during our upcoming trip.

Should we catch a Ducks game or a Kings game? The LA Live Centre the Kings arena is in looks like fun, but is the Ducks arena in a notable area as well?

I'm excited about watching a hockey game in a building landscaped with palm trees. Ours is landscaped with the suburbs and cold.

I would definitely go to a Kings game before a Ducks game. The fans are fun and LA Live is much for fun than Anaheim.

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
Thanks again for the continued posts! Planning on visintg lots of the suggestions during our upcoming trip.

Ducks! The Disney connection is still there, even though the company doesn't actually own the team anymore.

And yes, your arena is impressively in the middle of nowhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom