The New X-Box

erasure fan1

Original Poster
Anyone going to be watching the press conference for the reveal of the new X-Box?
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hub/reveal
I am very interested in what they will show. They said they will focus on the hardware most today and the games at E3. I really do hope they at least give us some of the "tons" of exclusives to wet the appetite for E3. My fear would be they talk too much about all the entertainment side of it. I know both Microsoft and Sony will integrate that into the systems, I just hope the core gamer and AAA games stay the focus this generation.

erasure fan1

Original Poster
The reveal itself was exactly what I had hoped it wouldn't have been. All about the entertainment side of things and no real mention of the games. I know E3 is in 19 days but a little insight into these 15 exclusive titles would have been nice. As far as picking one up at launch, I can't answer that till the box is released and we know 100% what the xbox one is. There are just too many questions at the moment. Not being able to play a used game without paying a fee equivalent to the cost of a new copy is not cool. This means you can't lend a game to a friend or rent a game, ugh. E3 better just blow the doors off of anything we have ever seen before. The amount of hate right now for Microsoft is crazy in the gaming community.

Zman-ks

Me as well.
I'll definitely preorder one as soon as possible.
75.gif

I am so getting one!!! :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The reveal itself was exactly what I had hoped it wouldn't have been. All about the entertainment side of things and no real mention of the games. I know E3 is in 19 days but a little insight into these 15 exclusive titles would have been nice. As far as picking one up at launch, I can't answer that till the box is released and we know 100% what the xbox one is. There are just too many questions at the moment. Not being able to play a used game without paying a fee equivalent to the cost of a new copy is not cool. This means you can't lend a game to a friend or rent a game, ugh. E3 better just blow the doors off of anything we have ever seen before. The amount of hate right now for Microsoft is crazy in the gaming community.
About the only thing I wish MS would have done was address some of the rumors floating around (eg used games, must be connected), but I am not so worried about them not talking about the games at the reveal. It is after all a game console. We know that it wall be as good or better than any other console out there. The reveal was about getting a picture of new sexy hardware out in the wild and going over the new things the xbox will do. They could not answer ever question at the reveal with E3 right around the corner. You have to keep them wanting.

WED99

About the only thing I wish MS would have done was address some of the rumors floating around (eg used games, must be connected), but I am not so worried about them not talking about the games at the reveal. It is after all a game console. We know that it wall be as good or better than any other console out there. The reveal was about getting a picture of new sexy hardware out in the wild and going over the new things the xbox will do. They could not answer ever question at the reveal with E3 right around the corner. You have to keep them wanting.
It must work because I'm wanting. I'm wanting bad!

muteki

I didn't see anything that would make me want to buy one, but I don't think I'm their target audience.

I'm interested to see how the game installation/activation/used game blocking/unlock fee plays out in the marketplace and especially places like Gamestop which make a living off of that.

Also what titles and how many developers will choose the cloud back end (and in doing so, requiring an online connection constantly).

And lastly, what all of the digital content on display means for countries other than the US, and how much further this will fragment the digital content market.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I didn't see anything that would make me want to buy one, but I don't think I'm their target audience.

I'm interested to see how the game installation/activation/used game blocking/unlock fee plays out in the marketplace and especially places like Gamestop which make a living off of that.

Also what titles and how many developers will choose the cloud back end (and in doing so, requiring an online connection constantly).

And lastly, what all of the digital content on display means for countries other than the US, and how much further this will fragment the digital content market.
It will be interesting to see how those 2 points flesh out in the end.

If they have something in the system that will prevent the use of used games I can see stores like GameStop closing inside of a year or two. I would honestly hate to see the local GameStop go under. In spite of the amount of crap the stores get, I really like my local one. The staff is friendly, knows what they are doing and has always gone out of their way to help me.

Going cloud does worry me a little. It is just one more piece of hardware that I have zero control over that can fail and cause me grief. Don't get me wrong, there are a good number of features that going to the cloud can offer, the problem is that I use next to none of them so the only side I will see is the bad one.

muteki

If they have something in the system that will prevent the use of used games I can see stores like GameStop closing inside of a year or two. I would honestly hate to see the local GameStop go under. In spite of the amount of crap the stores get, I really like my local one. The staff is friendly, knows what they are doing and has always gone out of their way to help me.

Going cloud does worry me a little. It is just one more piece of hardware that I have zero control over that can fail and cause me grief. Don't get me wrong, there are a good number of features that going to the cloud can offer, the problem is that I use next to none of them so the only side I will see is the bad one.

Even in the worst case scenario where used games are blocked entirely or only allowable with large fees, I think GS would adapt and possibly work out something with MS. I don't think they will go under, but the business model with have to change. The industry in general is shifting (although at a snails pace) to a system that invalidates GS's existence completely. Eventually, they will have to evolve or die. (just like what brick and mortar electronics stores are going through now.)

I personally wish everything would go digital delivery anyway. After initially being really bothered by it, to using it out of necessity (for titles not released here), to using it out of convenience, I kinda wish everything would go that way.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Even in the worst case scenario where used games are blocked entirely or only allowable with large fees, I think GS would adapt and possibly work out something with MS. I don't think they will go under, but the business model with have to change. The industry in general is shifting (although at a snails pace) to a system that invalidates GS's existence completely. Eventually, they will have to evolve or die. (just like what brick and mortar electronics stores are going through now.)

I personally wish everything would go digital delivery anyway. After initially being really bothered by it, to using it out of necessity (for titles not released here), to using it out of convenience, I kinda wish everything would go that way.
I love digital delivery. I hate it when it goes wonky. (the guy that lost hundreds of dollars worth of Nintendo games comes to mind) When I have a hard copy I know that I have solid back up should things go wrong. It is much like what has happened to the OS disk you use to get with a PC. PCs went to having a HD partition with the OS on it years ago. It is great when it works because you always have what you need to format and re-install an OS, but it really stinks when you have a HD that eats itself.

muteki

I love digital delivery. I hate it when it goes wonky. (the guy that lost hundreds of dollars worth of Nintendo games comes to mind) When I have a hard copy I know that I have solid back up should things go wrong. It is much like what has happened to the OS disk you use to get with a PC. PCs went to having a HD partition with the OS on it years ago. It is great when it works because you always have what you need to format and re-install an OS, but it really stinks when you have a HD that eats itself.

Steam, which is in general seen as one of the best delivery systems out there, was really crappy the first few years. Nintendo's content delivery system is (IMO) horrendously outdated and filled with restrictions for restrictions sake. Windows software is something I would love to see change toward a digital model, but I really don't think they have even considered it. It's mostly the OEM's fault for dropping the ball on that one.

I think there is an attainable ideal out there for digital delivery if companies would grow up and accept it. I haven't used my Xbox for digital content all that much so I can't comment on it, but Steam/PSN get it pretty close IMO. Nintendo is in denial and needs to figure out that this isn't 10 years ago.

But really, Xbox 1, show us some games already! Forza is great and all, but show me something that will make me want to buy it. E3 is just around the corner I guess...hopefully this year will be less disappointing than the last.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Steam, which is in general seen as one of the best delivery systems out there, was really crappy the first few years. Nintendo's content delivery system is (IMO) horrendously outdated and filled with restrictions for restrictions sake. Windows software is something I would love to see change toward a digital model, but I really don't think they have even considered it. It's mostly the OEM's fault for dropping the ball on that one.

I think there is an attainable ideal out there for digital delivery if companies would grow up and accept it. I haven't used my Xbox for digital content all that much so I can't comment on it, but Steam/PSN get it pretty close IMO. Nintendo is in denial and needs to figure out that this isn't 10 years ago.

But really, Xbox 1, show us some games already! Forza is great and all, but show me something that will make me want to buy it. E3 is just around the corner I guess...hopefully this year will be less disappointing than the last.
I use Steam a little and Xbox a fair amount. Both are great, but their best and worst feature is the same thing. That thing is everything is tied to an account. When this works it is awesome. If you loose everything all you have to do is log in and you can get everything back. Mess up that account and it can take a while to recover it.

E3 is what 3 weeks away? I have a feeling we are going to see a boat load of games there. The launch was just wetting the whistle.

muteki

E3 is what 3 weeks away? I have a feeling we are going to see a boat load of games there. The launch was just wetting the whistle.

I'd like to see a variety of games that are actually new and unique to Xbox...and exclusive. Not really because I want to be forced into buying one to play them (because I don't really want a new console this year) but because the whole idea of cross platform gaming that really permeated this last generation really made things boring. I'd like to see MS, Sony, Nintendo all do really unique things that are exclusive to themselves. Gives each a bit more character.

Xbox 360 had a few good years there in the beginning before they basically gave up on the rest of the world and focused only on the US market. I hope that they don't repeat that again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom