The New Disney Hollywood Studios

mharrington

Roger Rabbit has better brand recognition and I'm sure any legal issues could easily be skirted over, I mean they were still able to build the Roger Rabbit ride in Disneyland not to mention they were still able to actually design some Roger Rabbit themed attractions for the studios a while back. Thematically as well, Roger Rabbit fits in perfectly and is a bit of a no-brainer for a Disney park about Hollywood. The fact that there's a Roger Rabbit short that features a white wooden roller coaster heavily makes it that much more obvious as a choice. In fact Roger Rabbit is pretty deserving of his own land at the Studios.

But that was all back in the 1990s when Disney and Spielberg were on reasonable terms. I don't think they are anymore, unless I'm mistaken. These legal issues were one of the main reasons why I had originally thought of Goofy's Motor Mania in place of Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, because Goofy is a character that Disney actually owned 100% (but then I decided that it looked too much like the Roger Rabbit ride and discarded it, but that's another story).

These legal issues were the main reasons that, in my plans, any suggestions I was offered to fold Roger Rabbit into any proceedings, whatever they may be, were rejected. That's the thing with me: when I do things on these boards, I like to take reality into account before I do anything at all, whether they be access to characters or available real estate. It creates a great deal of frustration, but I'm finicky like that.

Anyway, I have another idea: what if you themed the roller coaster to the one in that Goofy cartoon "Aquamania"?

stitchcastle

But that was all back in the 1990s when Disney and Spielberg were on reasonable terms. I don't think they are anymore, unless I'm mistaken. These legal issues were one of the main reasons why I had originally thought of Goofy's Motor Mania in place of Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, because Goofy is a character that Disney actually owned 100% (but then I decided that it looked too much like the Roger Rabbit ride and discarded it, but that's another story).

These legal issues were the main reasons that, in my plans, any suggestions I was offered to fold Roger Rabbit into any proceedings, whatever they may be, were rejected. That's the thing with me: when I do things on these boards, I like to take reality into account before I do anything at all, whether they be access to characters or available real estate. It creates a great deal of frustration, but I'm finicky like that.

Anyway, I have another idea: what if you themed the roller coaster to the one in that Goofy cartoon "Aquamania"?

you know, if Roger Rabbit bothers you that much how about we just not theme it at all? Just let it be California Screamin', a direct clone from DCA. I mean a roller coaster is a roller coaster, it'll be popular simply because of that, it doesn't really need any major theme if it's already in a seaside carnival setting. That'll also realistically save a lot on development costs as all the plans have already been drawn up for the attraction. Though if you want to be even more realistic, I don't think this area needs to have a roller coaster at all, it's already peppered with E-tickets, why bother building an expensive roller coaster just to make the area look pretty? Scrap the coaster all together.

Although the more I think about it, the area just doesn't really scream "pier" anymore. Let's keep things simple. It'll be the new "Mickey Avenue". Designed to look like a neon-light paradise of a street (think Vegas strip) where there are not one but 2 massive game arcades vying for our attention (and quarters). The first one is Toy Story Midway Mania and the second being Wreck-It-Ralph's game center. Among the other attractions on this street is a restaurant containing a full steam train within, acting as if you're in a grand central train station.

The avenue rounds about through Hollywoodland Court (where Tower of Terror is) and makes its way to an expanded Sunset Boulevard. Here we have The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, untouched from its previous state and a newly relocated American Idol: Live taking the former spot of the Beauty and the Beast live show. (Not for long though as rumours are abound that The X Factor is set to replace this in the near future). Also relocated to this area is Muppet Vision: 3d. Located in its own Muppet Studios Alleyway (with hints of a massively overhauled new attraction coming for phase 2). Both of these street are connected via red car trolley that winds its way up and down the Sunset and Hollywood Boulevards and Mickey Avenue.

mharrington

Although the more I think about it, the area just doesn't really scream "pier" anymore. Let's keep things simple. It'll be the new "Mickey Avenue". Designed to look like a neon-light paradise of a street (think Vegas strip) where there are not one but 2 massive game arcades vying for our attention (and quarters). The first one is Toy Story Midway Mania and the second being Wreck-It-Ralph's game center. Among the other attractions on this street is a restaurant containing a full steam train within, acting as if you're in a grand central train station.

I have different plans for Mickey Avenue, which involve (or at least try to involve) Mickey and the gang. Come take a look and give me a hand there, if you don't mind, as it's all not very developed at this moment: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mickey-avenue-at-dhs-open-brainstorming.862624/.

Also, I just thought I might mention something else: when you say "game arcades vying for our attention (and quarters), does that mean you have to pay to do the Toy Story and Wreck-It Ralph attractions? Although that train station idea seems good.

mharrington

I doubt anyone is going to even care about my ideas, but here's my own list for Mickey Avenue:

Attractions:
- A Fantasia-themed water thrill ride
- Some Clock Cleaners-themed dark ride (although I have no idea how to go about doing it)
- Mickey and co. meet-n-greets in a hotel-themed area
- Some other meet-n-greet area for characters from "Snow White" and "Pinocchio" (but not any other movies after that!)

Restaurants:
- Some Hollywood Canteen-themed character dining area
- Duck Diner (a Duck family-themed diner)

Shops:
- Oswald's Lucky Five and Dime
- A gas station-themed shop (probably Pete's Garage?)

And that's all I got right now. I'm not very creative.

AllydoesDisney

Well I would never get rid of Tower of Terror or Toy Story Mania or One Man's Dream. They need to stay. I would get rid of Beauty and the Beast which is sad because I love BATB but I wasn't a fan of the show at HS. I think I would put something for Tangled or Frozen there. Then I would update the Muppets to have it go with the more recent movies. And I would change up the Great Movie Ride too because its pretty outdated. I'd like to make something similar to put next door called The Great Disney Movie Ride: A Celebration of the Disney Classics. It would be almost like the Great Movie Ride but it would be all the Disney movies.

mm121

love so many of the ideas here.. but rather than replacing stuff and not adding.. would be great to see adding things.. this would help eat people increasing the parks capacity.

hollywood-studios-jpg.50295

The Ultimate Hollywood Studios Expansion

mm121

I like you.

lack of people eating capacity building rides is part of wdw's biggest problems right now.

the parks are INSANELY popular, and they dont seem to want to stop selling tickets and limit the number of people they allow in to ensure the people who are already inside have a good time..

they let them get insanely y , creating hours and hours long lines!!

the only way to solve this to add attractions not simply replace them.

so what if people can't make it to everything in one day.. since i've seen people complain about there being too much to do.. but part of the major reason its impossible to do everything is because things have really long lines.

i know people have said theres the paying for extra staff issue.. but i mean.. come on now!!

at minimum wage it only takes 1 or 2 guests to pay for 1 staff member for the ENTIRE DAY.

mharrington

Well I would never get rid of Tower of Terror or Toy Story Mania or One Man's Dream.

I would break up One Man's Dream into individual components and scatter them about the parks. Magic Kingdom would get an exhibit on the parks, primarily Disneyland. Epcot would get an exhibit on Walt's original plans for such, maybe talk about how it went from E.P.C.O.T. to Epcot as we know it today. The Studios would have an exhibit on movies and TV, obviously. And the Animal Kingdom would have an exhibit on animals and nature.

And I would change up the Great Movie Ride too because its pretty outdated. I'd like to make something similar to put next door called The Great Disney Movie Ride: A Celebration of the Disney Classics. It would be almost like the Great Movie Ride but it would be all the Disney movies.

Um... The Great Movie Ride already has "Mary Poppins" and, to a lesser extent, "Fantasia".

mharrington

In an effort to keep this thread from dying, I'm going to provide some of the things I would do with the park.

First of all, the park will now receive a new name: Disney Hollywood Adventure, which is only a tentative title right now and may be changed. Anyway, I will go around the park in the same order as in the Imagineering Field Guide on the park. However, with the rumors floating around about things liable to happen to the park in the future, I will try and work around them, whatever they may be. This is especially true of the rumored Star Wars Land.

Anyway, first and foremost, you begin as you always do: on Hollywood Boulevard. There is the addition here (and at Sunset Boulevard) of a new attraction right off the bat: the Red Car Trolleys, the exact same modes of transport as at the California Adventure. Everything up in the buildings are unchanged, but dead ahead, something has happened that we all can agree upon: the removal of that Sorcerer's Hat blocking the view of the Chinese Theater. With it gone, the Theater will now become the official icon of the park.

Inside, the Great Movie Ride will be updated. There is in fact a whole thread for that right here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/great-movie-ride-scene-replacement.882480/. Here's some of the basics on what will happen: first, the opening "Footlight Parade" scene is replaced by something else, although I have no idea what it could be.

Then nothing would be removed/replaced until after you got back your regular guide (after the Indiana Jones scene). Then the Tarzan scene is replaced by another scene, this one for the Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr movie, "An Affair To Remember". It's the scene on the ship where Grant and Kerr promise to meet each other at the Empire State Building.

Then finally, just before you go into the long "Wizard of Oz" scene, you pass by a scene that has replaced the "Fantasia" scene, which is really just an image of Mickey as the Sorcerer's Apprentice. I've got big plans for this, so more on that later. Anyway, this is for a James Bond movie, likely "Goldfinger". It's the scene where Goldfinger has Bond tied down in the path of a laser. Bond says, "Do you expect me to talk?" To which Goldfinger responds, "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."

And that's basically it. For the Great Movie Ride, I mean, not yet with Hollywood Boulevard. I would have loved to do more with this ride, but I'm trying to take physical space into account. What did you think so far?

Fantasmicguy

Let me walk you through the new Disney's Hollywood Studios Park, created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be.

W
e enter through the turnstiles to Hollywood Boulevard, seemingly unchanged from when the park first opened. In the distance we see the Chinese Theater as it was on opening day, though maybe not, it looks shinier, newer, even bigger than you remember. We walk towards it to realize that the space right before it has expanded into a beautiful central plaza lined with towering palm trees and lovely, shimmering fountain with a statue of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse sitting in a director's chair right in the middle.

We look around us and we see that the plaza itself acts as a hub, a gateway if you will, to the different worlds of the park. We look to where Sunset Boulevard is and we see that the walkway is wider and a classic red car trolley is making its way down the street towards the massive Hollywood Tower Hotel. Forking the street is the entrance to The Animation Boardwalk with an orate archway that teases a beautifully designed building with a distinct Sorcerer's Hat just beyond. We look behind us and see two distinct monuments towering in the distance. One appears to be a dessert mountain range with a strange looking palace on its cliffs, the other, amidst tall trees that seems to go on forever, looks to be a strange metallic moon rising from the horizon. These two areas are Tattooine and Endor. As we walk towards them we realize that the theater in front of us is actually now and entrance to an land of its own...

Hollywood Studio Backlot

the first new land in Hollywood Studios is a world dedicated to the magic and legacies of movie making. The Chinese Theater itself holds an attraction within: Cinemagic: A tribute to some of the greatest movies of all time. This show is adapted from the Disneyland Paris attraction and takes guests on a trip down memory lane with Martin Short as he is trapped through the ages of cinema.

Just beyond the theater though, is the Backlot Courtyard. A serene, picturesque garden, littered with massive props and set pieces from the greatest movies of all time. In a way it almost feels like the grounds of an art museum. The garden is surrounded by beautifully decorated sound stages, each with their own attractions:

The Hollywood Studios Backlot Tour - This new attraction takes everything you love about the original studio tour along with everything you love about The Great Movie ride for an unforgettable new ride experience. Take a backstage adventure with your tour guide as you ride the brand new Tour-bo Tram 9000, that takes you through the hustle and bustle of modern movie making along with a few "detours" into the old archive warehouse that is rumoured to contain wonders and relics of the bygone Hollywood era.

The Fireworks Factory - The visual effects department is giving a free tour of the warehouse where they keep all the movie explosives. Well, maybe not so free as a mad director decides he wants you to play the part of the person who explodes. It's a race against time as we try to blow up all the fireworks in the factory before they do us. This visual effects shoot-em up is a more visceral version of the Buzz Lightyear's astro blasters where guests shoot special targets that create fantastical displays of pyrotechnics.

Industrial Light and Magic: Open House - Explore how movie magic is made in this giant interactive walk-through where guests experience motion simulators, weather simulators and get to experience first hand the nitty gritty of movie making. Guests can even have the chance to insert themselves into their favorite movie scenes with the magic of film editing and visual effects.

Rock n' Roller Coaster Starring: Lady Gaga- That's right, Music's superstar Lady Gaga is recording a new movie soundtrack but her busy schedule means she has to jet off to a concert as fast as possible, and you know she wants her little monsters right behind her. Rock N' Roller Coaster will be relocated to this area and will feature new music and new stars every year. Yep, the ride will have an annual overlay change to a new super star starting with Lady Gaga. (Coming soon: Madonna, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, Aerosmith, The Beatles...etc.)

This is just part one of the tour of the new studios, tomorrow I'll post the new Animation Boardwalk section of the park. Possibly with some illustrations.
I wouldnt ride rock in roller coaster the year its Lady Gaga,Madona,or Brittany but the rest. Take my money!!

It would also be sad to side The Fantasmic go.

mharrington

The last part of the improved Hollywood Boulevard involves a brand-new ride. It is to make up for the new loss of The Magic of Disney Animation and the Animation Courtyard, which have been replaced by a new land. This new attraction, in fact, will be right on the border of that new land but officially be in this land so as to not contradict anything. As part of this, the old Magic of Disney Animation attraction is scrapped (it's pretty much a shell of its old self anyway). It will go in the spot once occupied by Voyage of the Little Mermaid. One reason for the removal of the old Animation thing is probably put best in the Imagineering Field Guide for the Studios:

"As the business evolved and the company's priorities shifted, the decision was made to consolidate all of the animation production back at the studios in Burbank. At Imagineering, this meant that we had to evolve the way in which we told the story of animation. We no longer had access to the great artists, so we had to make up for that in new ways. This led to the inclusion of the Drawn To Animation show, so that our Guests would still have access to an animator who could invite them into the studio and personalize the story of how Disney's beloved films are created."

But now, things are continuing to change. The new ride to come is still going to be called "The Magic of Disney Animation, but now it's a dark ride through the process of animation. It's hosted by characters from "Snow White" and "Pinocchio", particularly Jiminy Cricket and the Seven Dwarfs, who explain the process, similar to the old "Back To Neverland" film, with the climax being to take you into scenes from the two movies, "Snow White" and "Pinocchio". I think probably the most logical way to go is a process similar to the new Ratatouille attraction at Walt Disney Studios Paris, where you have screens guiding you along (however, there will be no 3D effects). The only question is, how can we have the sequence of character voices? Any ideas?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom