The Muppets new tv show

PhilharMagician

Liked the first half and then it seemed like it was going in a weird direction or maybe it was me. My wife and daughter ended up leaving the room and did not like it at all. I am hoping that I enjoy it more over the next few episodes. I want more of the slapstick comedy that the Muppet's are known for and less of the romantic relationships between frogs and pigs as well as humans and bears.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I thought the show was awful. It's like they took the worst and unfunny jokes from the Larry Sanders Show and made the Muppets say them completely out of character. There was none of the crazy Muppetness that we saw in previous shows. Where was the explosions? Where was Gonzo doing crazy stunts? Why did Fozzie have to insult the big mouth monster? The big mouth monster should have eaten Fozzie. That would have been more inline with the Muppets.

The only good part was the Dancing with the Czars joke. I really wanted to see Rizo and Pepe do that skit. The Tom Bergeron scenes were good. The whole love triangle thing with Kermit just doesn't work and is a little creepy as is the Fozzie dating a girl thing.

I hope the show gets better but I doubt it will survive 13 episodes. They had it right when they made Muppets Tonight. This show is not the Muppets and doesn't have their sense of humor. It was very uncomfortable at times.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Like I said in a previous thread, they put out there what the show was going to be like in promos and news articles. Its supposed to be the Muppets living "adult lives". Things change.

doctornick

Liked the first half and then it seemed like it was going in a weird direction or maybe it was me. My wife and daughter ended up leaving the room and did not like it at all. I am hoping that I enjoy it more over the next few episodes. I want more of the slapstick comedy that the Muppet's are known for and less of the romantic relationships between frogs and pigs as well as humans and bears.

This is close to my feeling. I enjoyed the show, but the second half sappiness between Miss Piggy and Kermit didn't fit the rest of the vibe of the show. I'm fine with the relationships, but they should be slapstick and farce, not sad. I thought the Fonzi relationship was better executed because it was played for more of a humorous angle.

Anyone, one thing I thought was odd: they've been doing shorts with kids on Disney Jr as seeming promotion for this show, but it is not kid friendly. Was the purpose of that just to aim at the parents of kids to watch the ABC show?

216bruce

I don't object at all to the attempt at a new format and more "adult" writing but it was uneven and the pace wasn't as manic (due to sitcom.mockumentary style as opposed to variety show style) as the 70's version. It'll take some adjustment on the audience part to get used to. I'll give it at least a few more episodes. Denise...meh.
I am concerned that the new format takes away the potential for there to be 'one time' random Muppet (Bobby Benson and weird acts like that) acts and even ongoing 'series in a series' ala' "Pigs in Space" or "Veterinarians Hospital". Those type of things were always welcomed in the old format. Hopefully the random Muppet acts will end up being guest stars or something on "Up Late".

MMlvr

I enjoyed the evolution of this show from the last time the muppets were on.
I was ok with it. Sounds like many weren't.

prberk

Missed it last night, but from the comments above (only) I get the sense that it could be dangerously close to being unoriginal and unwise. It is never a good sign when viewers of new shows say they look like they are trying to be another show (in this case, "The Office" or "30 Rock"). They will only be seen as imitators, and at the cost of what made the Muppets unique in the first place. Why watch "The Muppets" when we can watch "The Office" or "30 Rock"?

And other folks above seem to think it seems creepy sometimes. This from Disney fans already predisposed to like The Muppets more than a random sample.

I hope it does well, but the comments above do not bode well for that. It seems like they are at risk of losing what makes the Muppets beloved, in order to be trendy and cool. That storyline never ends well.

doctornick

Missed it last night, but from the comments above (only) I get the sense that it could be dangerously close to being unoriginal and unwise. It is never a good sign when viewers of new shows say they look like they are trying to be another show (in this case, "The Office" or "30 Rock"). They will only be seen as imitators, and at the cost of what made the Muppets unique in the first place. Why watch "The Muppets" when we can watch "The Office" or "30 Rock"?

Wasn't The Muppet Show (the 1970's version) basically similar to 30 Rock anyway? It basically was them showing hijinks backstage as the main premise. I don't see how one could say the new Muppets show is a rip off of 30 Rock when that format is kinda a homage to the old show.

Now, the mockumentary style (i.e. like The Office) with cutaways to interviews, that's a different story.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I really hope the show gets better. There needs to be some skits during Miss Piggy's show like Pigs in Space or Veterinarians Hospital. There needs to be more explosions and things happening in the background scenes. They removed the wackiness of the Muppets and replaced it with "been there done that" adult creepiness.

However I think we are watching the death of the Muppets forever.

DABIGCHEEZ

This is exactly what I thought of it too. And by exactly, I mean my wife and daughter left the room too. My daughter uttered "this is not the Muppets and it was stupid!" as she left.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
So far I've loved it and I'm really excited to see where it goes this season!
I actually just made a video about it (along with some other shows) on my youtube channel if anyone's interested in checking it out.

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom