The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

I'm having a tough time comprehending that Tower of Terror was only at DCA for 12.5 years but Mission Breakout has already been there for 6.5 years. Tower of Terror just seemed so instantly integral to DCA's identity in a way that Mission Breakout has not. Is it just because I'm old? Is it because I just hate Mission Breakout? Or am I right that Mission Breakout never truly cemented itself as a fixture of DCA? I know Mission Breakout has its "fans" but those aren't real people so I tend to disregard anything they have to say.
It’s because MB has possibly the ugliest exterior of anything Disney’s ever done. It makes the rotting PeopleMover tracks look elegant by comparison.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So my favorite vacation spots over the past several years has been Vegas and Disneyland. Now that I'm approaching 50 and have my career pretty well established (due to finishing college later in life), I think I want to start expanding my options and see more of the country.

Because of this, I'm going to do one last hurrah trip over Memorial weekend (and the week leading into it) by driving to Vegas and spending a few days there, and then drive down to Anaheim and spend a couple of days at Disneyland.

While I don't have a problem affording Disneyland, my last couple of trips made me realize that the value/money ratio isn't as worth it to me anymore, so I want to take one last trip....at least for a few years.....and try and soak things in. Who, knows, the itch might come back in a year's worth of time, but my anticipation isn't as high as it used to be when planning a trip.

Also, the last several trips to the parks over the years have been two-day park hopper trips, but more often than not, I only end up going to DCA for like half a day. So I think this trip I'm going to save the $65 and just do Disneyland for two days but at a slower pace than I normally do and try to take in more scenery, shops, and shows rather than my normal focus on attractions.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Disneyland doesn't need a museum piece that no one will go see. It needs something original that will appeal to today's guests.

Not happening in our lifetime.

That's actually exactly what Disneyland needs. Disneyland functions best when it acts as a museum.

I mean, I don't truly agree, but I understand the sentiment. We can't trust modern WDI. If forced to choose between a Country Bear Jamboree museum exhibit or The Preschool-Friendly Bears Sing "Let It Go" & "We Don't Talk About Bruno," I know which one I'd choose.

Either this or Plectus.

Plectu's would've been fascinating! What a different Imagineering era. Gotta wonder how Tomorrowland might've gone in a completely different direction had that show been implemented.

In a perfect world they reuse carousel theater for what it was built to do, as an animatronic theater venue

Agreed. 0% chance of it happening, though.

Or just give us Horizons 2.0

This would be my top choice as well. Not gonna happen.

I agree to an extent, but it needs a thorough restaging of all four acts. Originally, the show covered the preceding 60 years of electrical progress in 20 year leaps, but now it's been 60 years since the show first opened.

I would propose a new show that has three acts detailing progress in consumer appliances and domestic development; 1910's, 1950's, 2000's, and then a fourth act that looked at the future of the 2030's that could be updated easily in five or eight years time.

You would also need a deep-pocketed sponsor, and it seems Apple would be a great choice. The show would not focus on specific brands in the first acts, but would instead use a range of examples and technology. In the third and fourth acts the Apple products would become part of the show, obviously.

The first three acts remain incredibly charming, in my opinion. The snarky and cynical final act demonstrates a misunderstanding of what makes the rest of the show so warm and timeless, to say nothing of the outdated technology it showcases.

Love the idea of securing a sponsor like Apple and refreshing the entire show. But personally I don't even feel it's necessary; some adjustments to the final act would go a long way.

But to just pick up the 1964 World's Fair show and bring it to Disneyland, even if you updated the tacky 1990's finale' they have running in WDW, isn't a wise idea in my opinion. You would need to dramatically change and update the entire show, while keeping its original charm and whimsy and that great Sherman Brothers theme song.

How dare you all engage my flippant comment with rationality and pragmatism.

Fine, I agree with you completely. I don't sincerely believe it's a great idea to move CoP to Disneyland. I'm just so cynical about Disneyland's Tomorrowland at this point; D'Amaro and WDI lack the courage to actually invest in fixing the land's many shortcomings. We're stuck with Pizza Port and ground-level Astro Orbiter and rotting PeopleMover tracks and an empty carousel building forever. Why not transplant CoP and call it a day?

At this point I'd settle for some speakers blasting "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" on a loop at the hub entrance to Tomorrowland. Is that achievable, D'Amaro? That might be sufficient for me. That's how low my bar is.

This sounds nice and "just", given the importance of the show, but the key thing is that it left in the 70s. Had it stayed, it might have become an enduring park classic on the level of Tiki Room. But because it left? It'd be received the way most people received Captain EO when it returned in 2010: what the heck is this?!? Disney just doesn't make attractions like this anymore, and the reaction from anyone who wouldn't already be familiar with it from their own memories would largely be confusion.

I might disagree, actually. Wouldn't the countless SoCal Disney fanatics who regularly go to Disneyland wholeheartedly embrace the show? Certainly they'd hold it in higher regard than Orlando tourists who've never even heard of the 1964 NY World's Fair.

The only market that exists for static AA shows (or arguably theater shows in general) at Disneyland Resort is for legacy attractions that were around in Walt's era. Because it left, COP would not be treated the same way the existing legacy attractions are. Even if the Carousel theater would be able to be reconstructed, I don't believe it would be able to sustain its attendance over time to a point where it would make sense for DL to keep it around. As much as is underappreciated in Florida, theater shows have, generally speaking, had far greater lasting power when compared to the CA parks (there's a reason Florida's the only place that still has Muppetvision and ITTBAB, and it's not just because those parks collectively need more capacity). Bring COP to DL, and I'd be very surprised if it lasted more than five years.

Hmmm, you might have a point here. I wasn't regularly attending Disneyland back when the SoCal locals got bored with Country Bear Jamboree and MuppetVision. It's hard for me to even conceive of such a phenomenon, but reliable sources tell me it happened, haha.

Communicora

Premium Member
Although I don't get the point of this land, I would gladly welcome a return of the Jolly Roger and Skull Rock to Fantasyland. If the Subs ever close, that would be the ideal use of the lagoon.

Rather like what they have in Adventureland at Disneyland Paris

1709054116597.png

Rich T

Although I don't get the point of this land, I would gladly welcome a return of the Jolly Roger and Skull Rock to Fantasyland…

It’s a way to bring more fantasy and popular IPs into Disneysea while not breaking the seaside/harbors theme of the park. Nice capacity boost, too. I don’t know what kind of guest feedback TDS has gotten over the years, but I wouldn’t be surprised if “more Disney/more characters” was a recurring request.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Although I don't get the point of this land, I would gladly welcome a return of the Jolly Roger and Skull Rock to Fantasyland. If the Subs ever close, that would be the ideal use of the lagoon.

I agree although I think the Crystal blue water works better next to the Matterhorn. Also does that make Peter Pans flight expendable? I’ve said in the past that Pans ride system has so much potential that it would be the one FL dark ride I’d be ok with losing as long as they built a D or E ticket version elsewhere in the park. But I wouldn’t want the screen ride Tokyo is getting. I’d want the Shanghai version of Pan or better. Then they could either put a Toads Hall restaurant in its current spot or a brand new FL dark ride. I’d love to see a take an old school FL dark ride with those constraints… if it’s even possible.

With all of that said I’m not sure Disney would see any value in wasting that prime real estate for a better version of Peter Pans flight even if it came with some flat ride or Tinkerbell ride to go with it.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Why does Skull Rock at Tokyo (and elsewhere?) have that murky green water anyway? In the movie, it’s in the Ocean.

EDIT: never mind. The water looked murky green in the still I saw earlier. In the video it looks dark blue.

Last edited:

SweetDuffy101

It’s a way to bring more fantasy and popular IPs into Disneysea while not breaking the seaside/harbors theme of the park. Nice capacity boost, too. I don’t know what kind of guest feedback TDS has gotten over the years, but I wouldn’t be surprised if “more Disney/more characters” was a recurring request.
During the 2000’s era Tokyo DisneySea struggled alot with its adult non disney IP themed with attendance below expectations.

The lack of family friendly rides and well known Characters made family category made people prefer disneyland over disney sea, But when IP started coming in (Toy Story Mania, turtle talk, Nemo and Friends searider etc.) it boosted its capacity making almost the same amount of guests with its sister park Disneyland.

Furthermore Implementing Original “kawaii IP”(Duffy and Friends) and adding more kid friendly stage shows helped alot with attendance.

Tokyo DisneySea Fantasy Springs will help DisheySea even more as it fits the final 8th themed port According the Murals at Hotel Miracosta which was originally planned as a Glacier Bay or an Arctic themed in port and Frozen franchise fits and the other 2 IP’s are also a no brainer dedicating a theme for Springs.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

From the look of things it's a classy way to do it too. While it's too soon to evaluate the rides, I really like the use of space and placement choices here. Only nitpick I have is that the hotel seems a bit incongruent.

PiratesMansion

It's worth noting that guests at TDR are really, REALLY into the characters in a way Disney could only dream of in the states. And Fantasy Springs not only adds needed capacity to the park (ride capacity, yes, but dining capacity can also be a problem at times in the Tokyo parks), but does so in a way that fits what the guests want (or at least, more guests there genuinely want character focused stuff than do here), and gives TDS its first really substantial addition since TOT in 2007.

Now they just need to beef up the park's entertainment roster so that it might even vaguely resemble the perfection that was there in its first decade.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I don't get the point of this land

Me neither. I haven't actually been to DisneySea, but the prospect of Fantasy Springs kind of bums me out; it seems like a sellout move -- like it will hurt the integrity of the park. Time will tell, I guess; I should withhold judgment until it opens.

The lack of family friendly rides and well known Characters made family category made people prefer disneyland over disney sea, But when IP started coming in (Toy Story Mania, turtle talk, Nemo and Friends searider etc.) it boosted its capacity making almost the same amount of guests with its sister park Disneyland.

This is depressing.

Pans ride system has so much potential that it would be the one FL dark ride I’d be ok with losing as long as they built a D or E ticket version elsewhere in the park. But I wouldn’t want the screen ride Tokyo is getting. I’d want the Shanghai version of Pan or better. Then they could either put a Toads Hall restaurant in its current spot or a brand new FL dark ride.

I never knew I wanted this until now.

It could be a clever competitor to USH's Toadstool Cafe.

I’d love to see a take an old school FL dark ride with those constraints… if it’s even possible.

I suspect the existing Fantasyland dark rides are only OSHA-approved because they were grandfathered in. Unfortunately.

Consumer

Me neither. I haven't actually been to DisneySea, but the prospect of Fantasy Springs kind of bums me out; it seems like a sellout move -- like it will hurt the integrity of the park. Time will tell, I guess; I should withhold judgment until it opens.
There really is no cohesion to the land. What do Peter Pan, Rapunzel, and Anna and Elsa have in common other than being popular Disney characters with the Japanese? The land has no focus and exists solely to introduce major IP's into Disney Sea. For a park that was renowned for immersing guests in very specific places, this seems like a massive departure from that, no matter how good the land itself looks.

Okee68

21_1955_KTPBK_NG[1].jpg

One of the highly elusive Frontierland buckboards, which ran alongside the stagecoaches and Conestoga wagons during the first few years of the park's operation. I've seen only a few pictures and a handful of references to them in very early promotional materials, but no documentation other than that. I don't know exactly when they ceased operation or why they were so much less abundant than the coaches and wagons.

CaptinEO

There really is no cohesion to the land. What do Peter Pan, Rapunzel, and Anna and Elsa have in common other than being popular Disney characters with the Japanese? The land has no focus and exists solely to introduce major IP's into Disney Sea. For a park that was renowned for immersing guests in very specific places, this seems like a massive departure from that, no matter how good the land itself looks.
I mean this is the same concept as fantasy land and no one has an issue with that. What do Alice, Mr. Toad, and Snow White have to do with eachother?

I'm also tired of the one movie lands so glad to see another shared land.

Consumer

I mean this is the same concept as fantasy land and no one has an issue with that. What do Alice, Mr. Toad, and Snow White have to do with eachother?
Their common trait is they're fantasy in a land themed to fantasy. What is the theme of Fantasy Springs? Is it just Fantasyland 2? That's not inherently a bad thing, it just seems redundant and unfocused compared to the other lands at DisneySEA. All the other lands in the park are themed to specific locations and time periods, whereas this seems to be more jumbled as an excuse to introduce more IP.
I'm also tired of the one movie lands so glad to see another shared land.
I agree with this, but even this land is still just recreating movie locations. There's just no cohesion between these locations. Maybe that's part of my issue, as well. Fantasyland doesn't recreate Neverland and place it next to a recreation of Sleeping Beauty Castle. Fantasyland is a Bavarian village (other than Small World).

Again, the land looks great, I just don't get it.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Their common trait is they're fantasy in a land themed to fantasy. What is the theme of Fantasy Springs? Is it just Fantasyland 2? That's not inherently a bad thing, it just seems redundant and unfocused compared to the other lands at DisneySEA. All the other lands in the park are themed to specific locations and time periods, whereas this seems to be more jumbled as an excuse to introduce more IP.

I agree with this, but even this land is still just recreating movie locations. There's just no cohesion between these locations. Maybe that's part of my issue, as well. Fantasyland doesn't recreate Neverland and place it next to a recreation of Sleeping Beauty Castle. Fantasyland is a Bavarian village (other than Small World).

Again, the land looks great, I just don't get it.
But wouldn't the overarching theme of the land just be "fantasy" like FL, with each of the sections/areas just being mini-lands within that overarching theme?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom