The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Concept Album

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
Over the last year, Nightwish's Tuomas Holopainen has been working on a solo album project based on Don Rosa's The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. The video below is of a Single release that will be on Friday with the album's release being April 11th.

This article gets more into detail on the album: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ni...ainen-a-lifetime-of-adventure-video-released/

And here's the overall tracklisting
01. Glasgow 1877
02. Into The West
03. Duel & Cloudscapes
04. Dreamtime
05. Cold Heart Of The Klondike
06. The Last Sled
07. Goodbye, Papa
08. To Be Rich
09. A Lifetime Of Adventure
10. Go Slowly Now, Sands Of Time

Bonus track:

11. A Lifetime Of Adventure (Alternate Version)

champdisney

This is AMAZING! I love conceptual albums (I am currently hooked to Richard Campbell's Frankenstein). I can't wait to hear Scrooge McDuck's adventurous origins through this album. Awesome music video, though I do wonder if Disney has any part of this?

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
This is AMAZING! I love conceptual albums (I am currently hooked to Richard Campbell's Frankenstein). I can't wait to hear Scrooge McDuck's adventurous origins through this album. Awesome music video, though I do wonder if Disney has any part of this?
Apparently not. That's why the cover art is Scrooge from the back.

That said, Tuomas has discussed the project in European Disney publications and was even caricatured in a Donald Duck comic over there in conjunction with some of that early press.

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
Interview up here gives a little more clarification on the Disney side of things

http://webzine.nightwish.fr/mag/pos...d-times-of-scrooge-english-version-2014-02-04
Nicolas : Do you plan on sending it to the Disney press or Disney studios?

Tuomas : Well, the album in itself has absolutely nothing to do with Disney. That was a conscious decision that we made with Don Rosa from the beginning. « Let’s do this album in a way that Disney cannot interfere ». That’s why we don't have the original chapter names, we don't use the words « Scrooge McDuck », we avoid everything that’s copyright. On the cover you can see Scrooge from behind, not from the front…So Disney has absolutely nothing to do with this album. This is only Don Rosa and myself. But I also heard from the Finnish Donald Duck magazine editor that Disney has heard about this project and has given its blessings. They said « yeah it’s ok, go ahead and do it, it’s cool ». So they’re happy about it but it’s not like we have a deal with Disney or they’re distributing it or anything like this. You can be inspired about anything in this world and do music or art with it as long as you don't hurt the copyright.

Nicolas : That’s why the album is called « Music inspired from… ».

Tuomas : That’s right, it needed to say « music inspired ». And also, there’s only « Scrooge », not « Scrooge McDuck » because « Scrooge » is not copyright infringement, « Scrooge McDuck » is.

Elise : It’s a good thing « Scrooge » isn't, it would have been difficult…

Tuomas : Yeah, it’s Charles Dickens’ invention, from Ebenezer Scrooge, so it’s not copyright infringement. And I’m sure that Disney would have been okay with the « McDuck » as well but I just wanted to play it as safe as possible. And it was Don Rosa’s advice.

champdisney

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
The album is now out in Europe and you can find the whole thing floating around Youtube, but here's an official upload of the track based on The Last Sled to Dawson

Overall reaction to the album when listening to it was a repeated question of "When can Disney make this a movie?"

champdisney

Just bought the album a few days ago and I am absolutely in love with it. The orchestra is brilliant and the vocals are beautiful. Though, my favorite songs from the album are purely instrumental (Dreamtime, Duel & Cloudscapes). Tuomas Holopainen has constructed a masterpiece that tells such a compelling story, he's proven to me that he's one if not the best in the music industry today. I HIGHLY recommend this to everyone, check it out!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom