The Jungle Book teaser trailer

Californian Elitist

What the...? I don't understand this trailer. It seems like the film will be very serious. The animated version has a lot of silliness to it, so I guess this film is taking a different approach. Am I misreading this?

From the looks of the teaser, it seems you're right. I've never read The Jungle Book series, but I can assume the books weren't silly, like the Disney adaptation.

Disney's Peter Pan is the same way; much of the seriousness is absent. I prefer the story with the serious aspects included, but that's me.

tcool

Okay, just found out the answer to the "why is King Louie huge" question... Apparently, since there aren't any orangutans in India (or at least there weren't when the movie takes place), they made him a Gigantopithecus.
They went extinct however before Jungle Book took place. The Orangutan is more believable.

53051014.jpg
Since most of the movie's characters are CGI, this seemed appropriate.
Well I'm pretty sure they're not putting a child in a tigger, panthers, bears, constrictors, undead Giganpethicus way.

What the...? I don't understand this trailer. It seems like the film will be very serious. The animated version has a lot of silliness to it, so I guess this film is taking a different approach. Am I misreading this?
Didn't Walt make the people at Disney completley redo Jungle Book as it was too serious? Maybe this is the more serious version Walt wasn't a huge fan of?

tcool

I'm not crazy about the voice-over of Scarlet Johansson for Kaa, it just sounds cheesy, not really scary. It doesn't really have that mesmerizing feel like in the original either.
The more I listen to it the more unsettling it becomes. I would prefer something akin to what Kaa sounded like originally, but I guess its not possible?

Also is Kaa a boy or girl now? I've always assumed he was a boy?

Sped2424

The jungle book without jazz and the feeling of that encompassing the film is a jungle book I don't care to see. This is trying to make it seem like a summer blockbuster epic not the feeling I would go for this kind of material (The disney version not the novels) that it's based off.

Bairstow

Could be a bait-and-switch.
Disney frequently cuts a trailer to make a movie look like something it's not.
Witness the "Tangled" trailers that all hid the fact that the movie was a musical.

Magenta Panther

From the looks of the teaser, it seems you're right. I've never read The Jungle Book series, but I can assume the books weren't silly, like the Disney adaptation.

I've read them, and they're serious, all right. Kind of grim sometimes. That's why Disney artist Bill Peet's original storyboards for the "Jungle Book" movie were so dark and preachy, which is why Walt rejected them. I always questioned why Walt chose to stray SO far from the books, until I actually saw Peet's story treatments on a "Jungle Book" DVD extra...and yeah, then I could see Walt's reasoning. Peet's version was downright dull. "The Jungle Book" is not one of my favorite Disney films, but I guess I can understand why Walt did what he did. He preferred to entertain, rather than preach to people about man's inhumanity to animals and so forth.

As for this new film, It looks like a total live-action remake of the animated film, which seems kind of pointless. Oh, and by the way, there was no King Louie, or even an orangutan, in the actual Jungle Books. And Kaa was a good guy.

Bairstow

I've read them, and they're serious, all right. Kind of grim sometimes. That's why Disney artist Bill Peet's original storyboards for the "Jungle Book" movie were so dark and preachy, which is why Walt rejected them. I always questioned why Walt chose to stray SO far from the books, until I actually saw Peet's story treatments on a "Jungle Book" DVD extra...and yeah, then I could see Walt's reasoning. Peet's version was downright dull. "The Jungle Book" is not one of my favorite Disney films, but I guess I can understand why Walt did what he did. He preferred to entertain, rather than preach to people about man's inhumanity to animals and so forth.

As for this new film, It looks like a total live-action remake of the animated film, which seems kind of pointless. Oh, and by the way, there was no King Louie, or even an orangutan, in the actual Jungle Books. And Kaa was a good guy.

I did like the barbershop quartet wolves, though.

ctrlaltdel

I don't think this will be quite as dark as the trailer suggests, although it will certainly be darker than the original animated film. This should be a nice success, with the potential of being an enormous hit, due to the potentially game changing CGI.

NMBC1993

Could be a bait-and-switch.
Disney frequently cuts a trailer to make a movie look like something it's not.
Witness the "Tangled" trailers that all hid the fact that the movie was a musical.

WHAT!!?? That's not possible...Disney has never taken a film and marketed it with a completely different tone. Especially with a tone that is nothing like the actual film. The trailers I have seen ALWAYS properly convey the tone and in NO WAY are used as bait-and-switch marketing ploys....

But what do I know, I'm just a Marvel hater after all :rolleyes:

Bairstow

WHAT!!?? That's not possible...Disney has never taken a film and marketed it with a completely different tone. Especially with a tone that is nothing like the actual film. The trailers I have seen ALWAYS properly convey the tone and in NO WAY are used as bait-and-switch marketing ploys....

But what do I know, I'm just a Marvel hater after all :rolleyes:

I don't get it- how was that a bait-and-switch trailer?

NMBC1993

I don't get it- how was that a bait-and-switch trailer?

Did you not see Iron Man 3? The tone in this trailer is nothing like the actual finished product (even if you exclude the "twist" from the film). Where were the wacky PTSD segments? The Dora the Explorer jokes? The child sidekick? What about the lack of overall comedy (that was featured in the film) in general?

What I'm trying to get at is the trailer is attempting to present this idea that the film is the "Dark Knight Rises of Iron Man" when in reality it's a family-friendly Christmas comedy (featuring the target demographic as a minor character). That's what I mean when I say that the trailer is a bait-and-switch.

DisneyPrincess5

Just saw the Super Bowl commercial with the Jungle Book trailer and it seems less serious and ominous than the other trailers I've seen. Good!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom