The Imagineering Movie Discussion Thread

TheOriginalTiki

The first omen was actually really solid. It’s too bad it came out so soon after Immaculate because the two are very very similar and it made it super predictable, even more so than it would’ve been.

Still, it doesn’t rely on jumpscares like Immaculate did, Nell Tiger Free is a much better actress than Sydney Sweeney, the horror worked really well, and overall it was a movie I do think horror fans should watch. I’m shocked too because up until last week, it wouldn’t have been on my radar at all
Awesome, I'll be sure to give it a watch! It's definitely been flying under the radar.

The more I think about Civil War, the more divided I am on it. The set pieces and production values are all top tier, but the story/world building and the repetitive nature of the movie's structure is definitely starting to gnaw at me more and more in the days since seeing it. (Getting distance from Arcadian is also helping with that clarity ;) ) There are just too many plot points that don't really add up. Plus the needle drops in the soundtrack were total tonal whiplash. That's obviously what the Garland was going for but it comes off very pretentious and "Film School".

And then I think of the Plemmons scene and my mind loops back around to really liking it again ;)

PerGron

Original Poster
Awesome, I'll be sure to give it a watch! It's definitely been flying under the radar.

The more I think about Civil War, the more divided I am on it. The set pieces and production values are all top tier, but the story/world building and the repetitive nature of the movie's structure is definitely starting to gnaw at me more and more in the days since seeing it. (Getting distance from Arcadian is also helping with that clarity ;) ) There are just too many plot points that don't really add up. Plus the needle drops in the soundtrack were total tonal whiplash. That's obviously what the Garland was going for but it comes off very pretentious and "Film School".

And then I think of the Plemmons scene and my mind loops back around to really liking it again ;)
I just got out of Civil War and I have no idea where I stand on it lol, I’m gonna have to marinate over dinner

AceAstro

I just got out of it and I agree sadly. I wanted to like it so much more but I leave it just feeling “yeah, okay”. Like it’s very solid but it’s sort of just there. It feels like he was trying to say more with it and it just missed the boat.

Seeing it in 4DX was also a blast, literally 🤣

PerGron

Original Poster
So of my 3 I watched today (I decided against Arcadia thanks to @TheOriginalTiki’s glowing review) I’d say all 3 were good and fun in their own ways.

I’ve already said my piece on The First Omen and I stand by it.

As for Civil War, it was definitely kind of disappointing, but moreso because of my expectations being so high than for it than it being bad. I’m higher on it than Tiki I think because I did enjoy it throughout. I don’t know that it’s one I ever need to watch again, but I kind of enjoyed the political neutrality of it saying “hey numbnuts, it doesn’t matter who’s side your on, war isn’t good.” I thought all the actors were solid and I love seeing Stephen McKinley Henderson pop up as well as seeing Cailee Spaeny get more work, she’s really good. Plus the Jesse Plemons scene was amazing.

Finally, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare was just straight fun. It was basically the Guy Ritchie version of Inglorious Basterds and that was enough to sell me. The movie is very Guy Ritchie, but the whole team of actors are fun, the action is a blast, the story being true is crazy, and everyone was clearly just having a good time. Plus, the movie’s Nazi body count is ridiculous and if there’s one thing I like in a fun action movie is gratuitous violence and death against Nazis.

TheOriginalTiki

@PerGron between The First Omen and Monkey Man which do you think would do a better job at keeping me awake? Just woke up from an extra long nap I took this afternoon to shake off a migraine and they're both starting at the same time and have similar run times.

PerGron

Original Poster
@PerGron between The First Omen and Monkey Man which do you think would do a better job at keeping me awake? Just woke up from an extra long nap I took this afternoon to shake off a migraine and they're both starting at the same time and have similar run times.
Monkey Man gets slow in the middle with more action filled exciting front and back end, The Last Omen is a pretty slow burn but eerie through the whole thing

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I just finished catching up with X-Men 97 because of all the hype I've been hearing about episode five. Honest to God that was probably the most gut-wrenching half hour of any Marvel content I've ever seen in my life. And that was the HALF WAY point in the season. If ya'll aren't watching this show, you NEED to be.
I just caught up after having a coworker recommend it to me. I overlooked it because I was expecting just a simple, nostalgic throwback meant to introduce X-Men to kids while giving fanservice to their parent. It is not that at all!

Way darker and more intense than I expected. Not really a kids show at all (especially not after this episode!). Cannot wait for more

TheOriginalTiki

Hey @PerGron and @TheOriginalTiki i found a tier list on tiermaker that has over 1000+ movies on it! I think doing a livesteam on ranking all the movies on that tier list would be cool, I unfortunately probably couldnt join for reasons, but still, would be pretty cool to do!
Definitely not going to do a tier list with a thousand movies on it haha. That would just be pure chaos. When I did my ranking of all the Walt Disney Animation Studios releases we did six parts with ten movies each and most of the installments easily went over two hours.

That being said, I am working with Monkey on a Great Disney Sequel Ranking Podcast series that will mostly use the DisneyToon Studios stuff.

PerGron

Original Poster
Hey @PerGron I quick question: for your April month movie ranking will Bluey! The Sign be included? It’s like 20 something minutes, but you would consider it a movie like welcome home Franklin?
No, for a couple reasons.

1. It’s a special but it’s still an episode of an ongoing tv series therefore not qualifying as a movie by my personal standards. The Peanuts was a special not tied to an ongoing show so I counted it.

2. I’ve not watched Bluey nor do I have any immediate plans to do so. Watching the final (?) episode of a show I’ve not seen feels weird, especially where it’s a show for young children and I’m a childless 20-something. I know adults love and swear by Bluey and I’m sure one day if and when I have kids I’ll love watching it with them, but for now, no

No, for a couple reasons.

1. It’s a special but it’s still an episode of an ongoing tv series therefore not qualifying as a movie by my personal standards. The Peanuts was a special not tied to an ongoing show so I counted it.

2. I’ve not watched Bluey nor do I have any immediate plans to do so. Watching the final (?) episode of a show I’ve not seen feels weird, especially where it’s a show for young children and I’m a childless 20-something. I know adults love and swear by Bluey and I’m sure one day if and when I have kids I’ll love watching it with them, but for now, no
You need to watch bluey, it’s a emotional masterpiece

He don’t need to watch anything if he don’t want too. A more appropriate word would be either you “should” or “I suggest you should”.
Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

@PerGron I would suggest that you should what bluey. It’s a emotional masterpiece.

AceAstro

Got the opportunity to see the Canadian premiere of "I Saw The TV Glow" tonight and I am torn on it. I went in with sky high expectations and I feel like it didn't hit it. It's VERY VERY good and was a visually striking and stunning film with some amazing performances but something felt off and I am bummed about it for sure. Might need to see it a second time.

Last edited:

JokersWild

Got the opportunity to see the Canadian premiere of "I Saw The TV Glow" tonight and I am torn on it. I went in with sky high expectations and I feel like it didn't hit it. It's VERY VERY good and was a visually striking and stunning film with some amazing performances but something felt off and I am bummed about it for sure. Might need to see it a second time.
That is so sad, but also not surprising. The trailer was amazing, but I lost a lot of hype when I heard that it was almost 1:1 based off of a creepypasta that had already been adapted on YouTube (I think.).

PerGron

Original Poster
Damn, I’m still really excited for it but that’s too bad. This year’s offerings keep kicking us when we’re down.

AceAstro

Damn, I’m still really excited for it but that’s too bad. This year’s offerings keep kicking us when we’re down.
I still really enjoyed it and it’s by far a top quarter/ half of the year movie so far, I just expected it to be pushing for my top movie of the year and it didn’t.

That being said, it DEFINITELY needs a second watch and that might vastly change my opinion on it, as it’s not a handholding movie by any means so I think rewatches will help that.

That’s the point of movies that aren’t your type @AceAstro. You might need to see it a couple more times so you can appreciate it.

AceAstro

That’s the point of movies that aren’t your type @AceAstro. You might need to see it a couple more times so you can appreciate it.
I know, I said that lol

I still really enjoyed it and it’s by far a top quarter/ half of the year movie so far, I just expected it to be pushing for my top movie of the year and it didn’t.

That being said, it DEFINITELY needs a second watch and that might vastly change my opinion on it, as it’s not a handholding movie by any means so I think rewatches will help that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom