THE HOBBIT IS COMING!!!!! WDW better get their act together and bid on Tolkien.

Will Tolkien's World and Disney World Collide?

• I'm Geeking out here -- I sure hope so....

Votes: 51 30.4%
  • No way Nerds!!!

Votes: 64 38.1%
  • Don't Care.

Votes: 53 31.5%

• Total voters

echoscot

Anothe great idea here. Why not, for the MNSSHP add either the grim grinners to a few attractions, or even more on attraction "Hidden Mickeys".... Would it really cost "that much" or be "that much" effort? Can't cost much more that the talent cost for the night for extra characters.

Yes!! Haunted Mansion II "They Escape", Haunted Mansion III "The 1000th Guest", Aladdin XVIII "Jafar Returns to Agrabah But Meets An Evil Version Of the Genie"

I love the concept.:D

bgraham34

As much as I would like to see this its not gonna happen, I dont see Disney doing this. Unless of course Harry Potter makes Disney look really bad.

WaltsApprentice

As much as I would like to see this its not gonna happen, I dont see Disney doing this. Unless of course Harry Potter makes Disney look really bad.

I really don't think that one small area of Harry Potter at IOA really make disney look bad... um... 4 parks, 2 water parks, a big downtown disney area plus more of fun for the whole family..tHERE IS no competion.:brick:

IOA needs this ...disney doesn't. :)

JimboJones123

Original Poster
I really don't think that one small area of Harry Potter at IOA really make disney look bad... um... 4 parks, 2 water parks, a big downtown disney area plus more of fun for the whole family..tHERE IS no competion.:brick:

IOA needs this ...disney doesn't. :)
But how many Disney Dollars will be lost????

I've never been to IOA. I can't not go now.

WaltsApprentice

But how many Disney Dollars will be lost????

I've never been to IOA. I can't not go now.

But there are so many faults to IOA and like you said you've never been... its a fun place to go...but there were many of times my mom would have to sit out and wait out for us because she doesn't like the rides there. So what is the point for her paying for us to go into a park that she can't go on any of the rides. Now something like this may attract a few guests...but once people get bored with it they will come back. Like I said there is so much that Disney offers that I highly don't think that this small area that will be mostly a walk through and stores for a while and then maybe one or two small rides and a possible big ride will make disney lose that much money.
Disney still the top and will be they may lose a little customers for a while but it wont last it never does. But I understand were you come from though.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
But there are so many faults to IOA and like you said you've never been... its a fun place to go...but there were many of times my mom would have to sit out and wait out for us because she doesn't like the rides there. So what is the point for her paying for us to go into a park that she can't go on any of the rides. Now something like this may attract a few guests...but once people get bored with it they will come back. Like I said there is so much that Disney offers that I highly don't think that this small area that will be mostly a walk through and stores for a while and then maybe one or two small rides and a possible big ride will make disney lose that much money.
Disney still the top and will be they may lose a little customers for a while but it wont last it never does. But I understand were you come from though.
Not if Universal is smart and offers a buy one day get the second for $10 or something like that. That's 2 days away from Disney property. They have lost much of what DME gave them. I can tell you without a doubt they aren't ignoring this.

WaltsApprentice

Not if Universal is smart and offers a buy one day get the second for $10 or something like that. That's 2 days away from Disney property. They have lost much of what DME gave them. I can tell you without a doubt they aren't ignoring this.

Good point! (sorry whats DME?) That is one positive for universal is that they have made many deals to get the guests to return which is good but its also because they are desperate... Disney focus is always on there multi day tickets making those more of a deal then the reg. one day park hopper. They hope to have you buy the multi day (making it cheap) then buying the one day. Which really stinks... but if you think about it Universal has only two parks to hop to but disney has 4 to choice from. I just had this problem at Disneyland...after I was done with that I went to Cal. Adv. which is barely a full day park... there was nothing to do after wards but to go back to Disneyland. Unlike WDW when your done with one park you can go to another and then another...to fill your whole day up... BUt I completely understand your point that Universal is very good at trying to make crazy deals to try and keep you at the park...but when you only have two parks to hop back and forth too it gets boring.:wave:

hollywood<3

As a huge LOTR fan, I'd love the idea of the above-mentioned "immersive dark ride". As of right now, I don't know what will happen if Disney gets the theme park rights to LOTR. I just ask to atleast put a mili-second clip of it to the GMR ending montage and I will be forever greatful.:D

Fun2BFree

I'd love a LotR/Hobbit presence in the parks, but it's wishful thinking and probably 'ent' (that was painful) going to happen. But if Disney were to hammer out some kind of deal, then we'd be 'tolkien' (equally painful). :lookaroun

I love LOTR as much as anyone. And I also think it would be unbelievable to visit a themed area at some park but for Disney.......it just doesnt fit for me. Even if universal has harry potter.

Eyorefan

Good point! (sorry whats DME?) That is one positive for universal is that they have made many deals to get the guests to return which is good but its also because they are desperate... Disney focus is always on there multi day tickets making those more of a deal then the reg. one day park hopper. They hope to have you buy the multi day (making it cheap) then buying the one day. Which really stinks... but if you think about it Universal has only two parks to hop to but disney has 4 to choice from. I just had this problem at Disneyland...after I was done with that I went to Cal. Adv. which is barely a full day park... there was nothing to do after wards but to go back to Disneyland. Unlike WDW when your done with one park you can go to another and then another...to fill your whole day up... BUt I completely understand your point that Universal is very good at trying to make crazy deals to try and keep you at the park...but when you only have two parks to hop back and forth too it gets boring.:wave:

While I don't think that Universal is going to start surpassing Disney in attendance just because of Harry Potter, they will see a giant surge. I for one have only been to Univeral twice. Once when I was in 4th grade, and once when I was in HS. I have never been to IOA and I have never even wanted to go.

However, I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. Once IOA opens the Harry Potter part of the park, I will take a day out of my Disney vacation to go and see it. Depending on how cool it is or how much there is to do there, or what kind of deals I get, I might spend even more time away from Disney. That is something Disney has been fighting against. They want guest to stay on their property for their whole vacation. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that they may answer Universal with at least a dark ride based on a fantasy franchize.

Oh, and DME= Disney's Magical Express. The free transpertaion system that takes you from the air point to your Disney Resort (and back again). That way you don't rent a car and drive off property.

PigletIsMyCat

I love HP. I hate LOTR/Narnia. I have a Disney AP and a Universal AP. I got both last April. I have been to Disney approximately 40 times since then, and to US/IOA twice.

People are not going to cancel their WDW vacations to go to Universal. They will buy one day less at Disney, and one day more at Universal to see HPVille. I really don't think Disney needs to do a LOTR or Narnia based anything to keep people in the parks. Having said that, I think having a LOTR or Narnia based attraction would draw more people into the parks. People are as crazy for the LOTR/Narnia books as they are for HP. Having a LOTR/Narnia attraction would bring in fans of those books/movies and show them what else Disney can do.

I, for one, would much rather see Disney putting more money into existing rides and themes than starting new ones. There are a bunch of rides at other Disney parks that I'd love to see at WDW instead of 'new' rides.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
I love HP. I hate LOTR/Narnia. I have a Disney AP and a Universal AP. I got both last April. I have been to Disney approximately 40 times since then, and to US/IOA twice.

People are not going to cancel their WDW vacations to go to Universal. They will buy one day less at Disney, and one day more at Universal to see HPVille. I really don't think Disney needs to do a LOTR or Narnia based anything to keep people in the parks. Having said that, I think having a LOTR or Narnia based attraction would draw more people into the parks. People are as crazy for the LOTR/Narnia books as they are for HP. Having a LOTR/Narnia attraction would bring in fans of those books/movies and show them what else Disney can do.

I, for one, would much rather see Disney putting more money into existing rides and themes than starting new ones. There are a bunch of rides at other Disney parks that I'd love to see at WDW instead of 'new' rides.
No, what you will see is people taking a WDW vacation to Florida. The next trip they will AVOID WDW and visit Universal, the Beach, Sea World. They will lose the "Disney Trip Each Year No Matter What" people. They already lost us this year. We couldn't do a week long trip. If we cut it back to a 3 day trip, we saved less than $300. So, we didn't go. We would love to go and visit all stops in central Florida, but it doesn't pay to mix and match. So we may start taking the shorter Universal trip for 3-4 days w/Sea World, and go to WDW every other year. You can pretend like I'm the only one doing this, but I know some that don't like the MYW tickets so much that they only go to Disney every 3rd year now. The pressure of using every minute at Disney to make your tickets worth while is too much for them. Plus they prefer the 3-4 day trips since they drive.

echoscot

No, what you will see is people taking a WDW vacation to Florida. The next trip they will AVOID WDW and visit Universal, the Beach, Sea World. They will lose the "Disney Trip Each Year No Matter What" people. They already lost us this year. We couldn't do a week long trip. If we cut it back to a 3 day trip, we saved less than $300. So, we didn't go. We would love to go and visit all stops in central Florida, but it doesn't pay to mix and match. So we may start taking the shorter Universal trip for 3-4 days w/Sea World, and go to WDW every other year. You can pretend like I'm the only one doing this, but I know some that don't like the MYW tickets so much that they only go to Disney every 3rd year now. The pressure of using every minute at Disney to make your tickets worth while is too much for them. Plus they prefer the 3-4 day trips since they drive.

That has been going on ever since parking went from 50 cents to 1.00 and the rest of the prices followed suit. However it has little to do with HP or LOTR or Narnia or whatnot. That is just a matter of expediency.

PigletIsMyCat

That has been going on ever since parking went from 50 cents to 1.00 and the rest of the prices followed suit. However it has little to do with HP or LOTR or Narnia or whatnot. That is just a matter of expediency.

I agree. I don't feel like HP/LOTR/Narnia have that big of an effect on it. Income and gas prices probably have more to do with it.

Brian_B

no. but the content is too plain and brain-level for todays mass appeal audience.. There is no wiz-bang like in LOTR, and it's going to disaapoint because of it...

When was the last time you read either "The Trilogy" or the Hobbit? The Hobbit is easily my fav book of all time. I've read it countless times, and LOTR is about 10,000 times more "brain-level" than the hobbit. It was written to appeal to a more broad and older audience. The hobbit was intended to be a children's story, and that accounts for it's lighthearted tone, calling Orcs "Goblins" and "The Lonely Mountain" instead of erebor, etc. In fact, JRRT made up most of Bilbo's adventures to recite to his kids/grandkids (in lieu of reading them something), and it was only at the behest of his family that he wrote the beginnings of what would end up being the hobbit. I find it to be 10,000 times more accessible than LOTR, a true contemporary fairytale. Incidentally, I also think Bilbo in the original tome (hobbit) is a far more interesting character than frodo, who I sort of felt was your average "main hero" stock character with almost no resonating personality. That's just me, all opinions. But seriously, the hobbit is more brain-level than LOTR? I don't think so.

edit: No "whizz-bang"? So I guess a giant battle on the slopes of a huge mountain between 5 armies along with a huge berzerker giant and gandalf destroying everyone that culminates in the death of a certain main character isn't whizz-bang enough. People are hard to please these days!

Don't be offended, that wasn't supposed to be mean or anything :-D. And yeah, that novel I just wrote wasn't very well-written, but I"m exhausted.

- Brian

sknydave

I don't understand why some people say they don't want it at WDW but also don't want it at Universal "just because?" Why is it you want Universal to go under? I have never for the life of me understood this ridiculous thought process.

You don't like Universal (even though you've probably never been,) Ok.. We get it.. Why do you care about what attractions they do and don't build, then?

WaltsApprentice

While I don't think that Universal is going to start surpassing Disney in attendance just because of Harry Potter, they will see a giant surge. I for one have only been to Univeral twice. Once when I was in 4th grade, and once when I was in HS. I have never been to IOA and I have never even wanted to go.

However, I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. Once IOA opens the Harry Potter part of the park, I will take a day out of my Disney vacation to go and see it. Depending on how cool it is or how much there is to do there, or what kind of deals I get, I might spend even more time away from Disney. That is something Disney has been fighting against. They want guest to stay on their property for their whole vacation. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that they may answer Universal with at least a dark ride based on a fantasy franchize.

Oh, and DME= Disney's Magical Express. The free transpertaion system that takes you from the air point to your Disney Resort (and back again). That way you don't rent a car and drive off property.

But the thing with Disney is they can make an amazing ride without it being from some silly franchize. A Prefect example is Everest. But Disney is always making new attractions wether its dark or light. True not all are that amazing... ::cough:: Snitch's plotline ::cough:: But Disney doesn't need to get a franchize outside its company for one main reasons its already have so many Franchizes that are already great at pulling the crowds in.

But like i said earlier in my post... Universial may get a sudden surge to their parks but its not going to last when people realize what Disney has to offer.

PS: I too love HP and I plan of checking it out. And I don't Hate Universal, because they are barely a compition, the only thing I don't like is how they do Business.

I know what Disney's Magical Express is but I just didn't know the shorten down version, thank you though for clearing that up.

echoscot

But the thing with Disney is they can make an amazing ride without it being from some silly franchize. A Prefect example is Everest. But Disney is always making new attractions wether its dark or light. True not all are that amazing... ::cough:: Snitch's plotline ::cough:: But Disney doesn't need to get a franchize outside its company for one main reasons its already have so many Franchizes that are already great at pulling the crowds in.

But like i said earlier in my post... Universial may get a sudden surge to their parks but its not going to last when people realize what Disney has to offer.

PS: I too love HP and I plan of checking it out. And I don't Hate Universal, because they are barely a compition, the only thing I don't like is how they do Business.

I know what Disney's Magical Express is but I just didn't know the shorten down version, thank you though for clearing that up.

"dark ride" doesn't have anything to do with the tone of the ride, just an FYI. It is a style of building an attraction that is completely enclosed in a show building, using theatrical lighting effects to recreate a story, ie Peter Pan, the Haunted Mansion, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh...those are called "dark rides"

That was the reference the OP was making.

sknydave said:
I don't understand why some people say they don't want it at WDW but also don't want it at Universal "just because?" Why is it you want Universal to go under? I have never for the life of me understood this ridiculous thought process.

You don't like Universal (even though you've probably never been,) Ok.. We get it.. Why do you care about what attractions they do and don't build, then?

Who said they didn't want Universal to do it? I read a lot of people don't like Universal, but I didn't get that from anyone's post.

I think Disney has a better way of doing things, but when I lived in Florida I used my ID to get into Disney and had an AP for Universal/IOA. I used them both quite well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom