The Forgotten Beaches of Seven Seas Lagoon

John park hopper

So, help me with my memory on this detail, if you can. Was there swimming on Bay Lake at the Contemporary? I have a very vague memory of doing so as a child in the 1970s, but I'm not sure if this memory is real or not.
I'd have to dig out my old pictures(take time)-- was able to find this on the net a family at Contemporary beach on Bay Lagoon
lmvbdr7hoix21.jpg
bay-lake.jpg
your memory is correct

Goofyernmost

I understand why it was done, but I really dislike how all the beaches on property now end at a fence and pile of rocks
That's just to discourage the brain dead from sticking their toes in gator filled waters. I'm not sure why it wasn't a problem back then, this has always been primarily a swamp, but apparently all the boats that were on the lakes and lagoons back them kept the gators (the original residents of the area) and people from becoming some animals lunch.

DisneyJoe

That's just to discourage the brain dead from sticking their toes in gator filled waters. I'm not sure why it wasn't a problem back then, this has always been primarily a swamp, but apparently all the boats that were on the lakes and lagoons back them kept the gators (the original residents of the area) and people from becoming some animals lunch.
In recent years, people have been feeding the gators (from the Poly Bungalows and WL cabins) making the gators less fearful, so more of a danger, therefore necessitating the fences, at least that is what I've heard.

John park hopper

Hunting gators back in the 60's and 70's reduced the population greatly so there probably weren't that many in the new Bay Lake. Florida put a ban on gator hunting and the population has bounced back and as Joe posted idiot people feed them train them to not fear people

Ayla

The fences were put in because of Lane Graves. But yes, you are right about why they were installed.

Goofyernmost

The fences were put in because of Lane Graves. But yes, you are right about why they were installed.
Yes, I meant to include that about the little boy, but forgot. How awful was that. Maybe Disney has decided that the alligator population needs to be moved to insure the safety of the public which is why fewer are seen.

Last edited:

Raineman

You couldn't pay me enough to swim in any fresh water body in Florida, even before the GF incident. I first visited Florida in 1990, and my aunt and cousins told me how many times they've seen gators and water moccasins in ponds and lakes close to them, and how they were taught as a child to identify them. I don't even really like to swim here, in Lake Erie or other smaller lakes and ponds that might have me run into a snapping turtle. Even in the ocean, I always keep my eyes open for urchins or jellyfish.

GimpYancIent

You couldn't pay me enough to swim in any fresh water body in Florida, even before the GF incident. I first visited Florida in 1990, and my aunt and cousins told me how many times they've seen gators and water moccasins in ponds and lakes close to them, and how they were taught as a child to identify them. I don't even really like to swim here, in Lake Erie or other smaller lakes and ponds that might have me run into a snapping turtle. Even in the ocean, I always keep my eyes open for urchins or jellyfish.
The there are deadly aquatic issues that can not be seen by the naked eye that lurk in the areas waters.
1626187068365.png

GimpYancIent

Yes, agreed it's a matter of luck or lack of it. Getting struck by lightning is rare but it happens, getting bit by a shark is not a common occurrence but it happens, being attacked by an alligator is rare but that also happens. Many tragedies are rare but do happen. Generally the vast majority of the time it is safe to enjoy the water. Just have to be aware of the location, conditions and situation.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, agreed it's a matter of luck or lack of it. Getting struck by lightning is rare but it happens, getting bit by a shark is not a common occurrence but it happens, being attacked by an alligator is rare but that also happens. Many tragedies are rare but do happen. Generally the vast majority of the time it is safe to enjoy the water. Just have to be aware of the location, conditions and situation.
Quite true. When it comes to things like animals and lightning we do feel like we have some sort of control. (lifeguards can look out for wildlife, we can gut out of the water during a thunderstorm, etc). When it comes to the naegleria fowleri, there is no real warning. You can't see it, taste it, feel it or really detect it in any way.

N2dru

Hunting gators back in the 60's and 70's reduced the population greatly so there probably weren't that many in the new Bay Lake. Florida put a ban on gator hunting and the population has bounced back and as Joe posted idiot people feed them train them to not fear people
Bay Lake isn't new, it's a natural lake. It was there before WDW. Seven Seas lagoon is the man made portion. And you're right once alligators were added to the endangered species list in the late 70's, their populations rebounded.

Last edited:

James Norrie

I'm not sure about specific beaches but there was swimming allowed in the Seven Seas for quite a long time. Nature stayed away when there was a lot of activity on the lagoon, but as nature does, it reclaims its spaces and nature in the form of Gators and Ameba's found the place and locations and Disney slowly closed them down. After the attack and death of that child in 2016 then they got concerned big time. One of the problem was the wealthy geniuses that rented those new, out into the lagoon, cottages were feeding gators and others things so that made more nature show up. Heck, for a while originally there was even a wave machine pointed a the Polynesian. The equipment might even still be there under the water.
Ah yes, Nunis's Folly.

Spend 1/2 a million on a wave machine that erodes the beaches and makes operating watercraft (specifically the Southern Seas) ridiculously hard to control. He was allegedly ribbed for years about that decision.

That said, most of the machine was removed in the mid-late 80's, all that remains are the brick wall surrounding Beachcomber Island and some minor underwater components. They tested it in '85 before removing it, in hopes that the beaches had settled over time. Obviously the tests were unsuccessful.

James Norrie

Yes, I meant to include that about the little boy, but forgot. How awful was that. Maybe Disney has decided that the alligator population needs to be moved to insure the safety of the public which is why fewer are seen.
We visited shortly after the tragic loss of young Lane. I'll never forget riding the resort monorail from Poly to MK, and while rounding out of GF seeing the trappers wrangling a young gator on the rip-rap along the shore of 7 Seas Lagoon. It was very eerie to say the least, knowing that just 2 weeks prior a child had been taken on the same body of water. I forget how many gators were removed/displaced from Bay Lake and SSL, but it was a pretty good number if I remember correctly

Ayla

We visited shortly after the tragic loss of young Lane. I'll never forget riding the resort monorail from Poly to MK, and while rounding out of GF seeing the trappers wrangling a young gator on the rip-rap along the shore of 7 Seas Lagoon. It was very eerie to say the least, knowing that just 2 weeks prior a child had been taken on the same body of water. I forget how many gators were removed/displaced from Bay Lake and SSL, but it was a pretty good number if I remember correctly
Supposedly, approximately 250 since then. I'm sure when one is taken out, nature quickly replaces it. It is Florida, after all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom