The End of Shamu Show With Close Trainer Interaction?

Nemo14

As entertaining as the shows were, the fact is that it's a killer whale with instincts that no amount of training can totally erase. I think, for everone, this is the right decision.

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
That is not a new situation nor what the title suggests.

Prior to the incident in 2010, the show had a segment with the trainer riding the Orca. So it would be new to anyone who expected to see the same show that they saw the last time they visited, unless they have been more recently.

Many people have a mental image of a trainer standing on "Shamu's" nose - unless this is overturned, that will not happen again.

Nemo14

No, but it's an official ruling now. This has been in the courts for quite some time, and yes, it's an end to the Shamu shows that used to be.

chocotaco

I have mixed feelings towards this. Yes, swimming and doing tricks with the Killer Whales can be very dangerous, but the trainers knew this before they decided to work with whales. This is something many of them want and love to do. They love working along side the whales, no matter what risks are involved. Trying not to get too political, but I'm really not a fan of the government trying to protect us from our selves. It's a no brainer that such activities can be dangerous, but again they knew that going into it. Are airshows going to be banned at some point as well? It's a lot more likely for something to go terribly wrong at an airshow than it would be at any show you're going to see at seaworld.

Now on the other hand, if the ruling was different and an incident occurred in the future, I would hate to see the animal punished for it (of course I'd feel bad for the person involved as well). Many times people put animals in a position they shouldn't be in and when something goes wrong, the animal ends up paying for it.

bethymouse

Free Willy! I loved that movie!:D
Working w/ any wild animal is dangerous. Trainers know that they're putting their life at risk. I always thought the Killer Whale show was a good one, but I just believe that those whales should not be in captivity. Any change to the Sea World San Diego show?:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom