The Creator, 20th Century Theatrical Release, Sep 29, 2023

DKampy

I liked the creator… It was not my favorite movie of the year or anything… it saddens me it is not doing better with it being original Sy-Fy that is not based on any Franchise

I will say it needs to at least be nominated for best Visual FX at the Academy Awards(deserves to win)It was the best FX I have seen in years… really would be hard pressed to find any flaws there… felt real and lived in

TP2000

We're talking about The Creator's weak box office performance over in the Box Office thread, but this article fits here.

Variety is trying to convince readers that The Creator deserves to become a sleeper hit with surprising box office legs, and that it could/should be seen as an allegory to the current issues over Transgender rights, or illegal immigration, or fill-in-the-blank social issues. That's an interesting angle, but perhaps the audience really did take the movie at its word that it's about Artificial Intelligence lifeforms instead of Trans folks?

Anyone who has seen the movie care to weigh in on this Variety take? Or, understandable if its just not worth it at this point in its box office performance.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
We're talking about The Creator's weak box office performance over in the Box Office thread, but this article fits here.

Variety is trying to convince readers that The Creator deserves to become a sleeper hit with surprising box office legs, and that it could/should be seen as an allegory to the current issues over Transgender rights, or illegal immigration, or fill-in-the-blank social issues. That's an interesting angle, but perhaps the audience really did take the movie at its word that it's about Artificial Intelligence lifeforms instead of Trans folks?

Anyone who has seen the movie care to weigh in on this Variety take? Or, understandable if its just not worth it at this point in its box office performance.

It's about AI.

Any political analogue would be genocide and not merely discrimination.

Use your bachelor retirement to go see the movie.

Many plot holes, but visually magnificent, and emotional.

Ghost93

It's about AI.

Yeah, I didn't pick up any LGBT metaphors at all. Maybe some metaphors about racism and criticism of U.S. invasion into other countries, but nothing that was solely intended to represent the gay or trans experience.

TP2000

It's about AI.

Yeah, I didn't pick up any LGBT metaphors at all. Maybe some metaphors about racism and criticism of U.S. invasion into other countries, but nothing that was solely intended to represent the gay or trans experience.

Oh, well that makes more sense. It sounds like the Variety staff was grasping at straws trying to drum up a late audience by tying it to "Trans" issues and such. Or whatever the latest craze is with the kids. I honestly don't know much about Variety other than from old jokes told on the Jack Benny Program or Burns & Allen references circa 1957.

I only started skimming/reading a few of Variety's articles six months ago when I found this niche little sub-forum and started posting here, to everyone's sheer delight. ;)

Variety is obviously an industry trade mouthpiece. But does that mean it mindlessly shills the studio's requested line? Or does it have some journalistic autonomy in its reporting of its own industry? Anyone know?

From the looks of it here, Variety's Monday morning article on The Creator is trying to drum up business for a failing movie that is hitting all the wrong notes about A.I. and is 3 years too late to ride any sort of cultural zeitgeist wave onto the shore.

Oh, you're familiar with my lifestyle choice?

How much is the "This Film Was Visually Magnificent & Emotional" credit worth in place of actual ticket sales at the Burbank branch of the Bank Of America?

In lieu of ticket sales to actual humans for actual money, what does that get Disney an extra credit of? $50 Million?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

TP2000

Only as much as you've self-identified with and repeated back to you verbatim.

Were you lying about your situation?

No. It's just that those two quotes are from two different posts from two different forums about two different topics from the past 24 hours; a comment I made about the box office results of The Creator here in the Disney Movies forum, and a post of mine about the architectural design history of the Team Disney Anaheim office building way over on the Disneyland forum.

I honestly had no idea you cared. I'm suddenly flattered. ☺️

Last edited:

Screamface

It's not amazing, but it's pretty good and worth seeing in the cinema. I think the issue is that it's the sort of film people wish the audience was supporting. As while derivative it is original and presented in a fresh way to be unique.

brideck

I thought the kid's performance in this was outstanding. So cute, so heartbreaking. And yeah, it didn't surprise me that a movie that specifically IDs the US military as the bad guys wouldn't do great numbers at the box office.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom