The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

I recall that the tons of salt sprayed on the roads can wreck havoc on your under body of the car and rust out the body.

That's true, unfortunately.

One of the problems actually a serious problem-- where the brake lines are secured with clips salt gets in there and corrodes the lines causing brake failure. My friend when his mother passed away got her Cadillac brought it back to SC and shortly had brake failure. Car came from MA mechanic told him that explains it.
That once was a problem but most lines, be they gas or brake, are made from galvanized to stainless steel. I live for 63 years in Vermont and there is no state that uses more salt then we did/do. The Cadillac that I had six winters in Vermont on it when I moved to NC and when I sold it after 11 years it still had the original lines and even the original exhaust system all of those did not have a spot of rust on them and neither did the car. Back in the day when US manufacturers where building tin automobiles to save money, then did have that problem, however, I never experienced any problem with brake lines in all those years. My philosophy was I can buy a new car but I cannot buy a new me if I get killed due to ice on the roads. It was something I was very appreciative of.

Cesar R M

All these price hikes talk reminds me when potato ships (with less air than today) costed 3 Pesos (the equivalent of 1 USD today).
Now they cost 22 pesos for a bag.
Confirming that all the prices are going with USD parity( You get 21 pesos per every USD)

Also reminds me about the "economists" in many news agencies.
When its convenient for them.. its "capitalism and prices will balance themselves". But when it affects some specific stuff (like potato chips, comfort stuff, etc..) they go from "all is well" to full beastly "revolution now!, today we riot!" XD

MinnieM123

Premium Member
They use sand by us.
Generally, that's good for snow, but not as effective (or quick) on ice. That's why they use more salt here.

That said, if there is a mix of snow and ice, they will (sometimes) use a mixture of salt and sand. (The last time I recall seeing sand used exclusively, was way up in northern Maine, where they get a ton of snow -- but not nearly the icing that we get down here.)

Lastly, looking at MA Gov. site, sand is not that expensive and works in colder temps, but does not melt snow or ice. Also, it loses its angularity and traction rapidly. Sand can clog drains and needs to be removed from roadways, roadsides and storm drains, and then be disposed of.

Other methods used here (and I suppose in your state as well -- especially the pre-treatments): liquid magnesium chloride, liquid brine, and sometimes a rock salt/calcium chloride mixture.

Lilofan

Baltimore County announced a state of emergency effective wednesday up until the 31st of January and of course idiots on Facebook are going I WILL NOT COMPLY.
Baltimore implementing indoor masks so ones who do not comply , get used to no mask, no service. I would comply if location posted policy but there will always be a few entitled Karens out there. Baltimore joining NYC, Boston and Chicago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom