The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

A CM told me it was a disaster. People were dropping them evidently. My dad liked them better for at home. I told him maybe for at home, but for trying to make drink runs, it was a gigantic pain in the rear.
Without handles they fit better in automobile cup holders and in those slings that people use to carry them in the parks. The handled ones are obviously more comfortable to hang onto, so I'd think it is a mixed bag of demand. I'll bet they still have some without handles for sales as well.

Goofyernmost

Please get those brakes done as soon as you get home. Please set a reminder in your phone!
Agreed, get them checked out, however, car size can make a huge difference in how the car feels when braking. I had all new brakes on my Cadillac. Never had any problem stopping on time. Then I got my current VW Passat and have had it for 4 months now and I still come close to putting myself through the windshield when I put the brakes on. Much lighter car, much quicker response. It makes it much more sensitive on ice or snow. I miss my old gentle stop feel.

Tony the Tigger

Anyone who is feeling down should head to your local theatre and see LA LA LAND. It is really just a perfect throwback to vintage Hollywood musicals. Overall it is a really uplifting, positive experience. Although there may be tears at the end. Anyway, highly recommended from this non-critic, and have nothing to do with the movie. Trailer below:

Meh...I'm thinking wait for HBO.

Goofyernmost

Just a dusting, but everything is covered with ice and its too cold for salt to work. I have to put on my ice skates to get to the barn! :hilarious:
Would this not be a good time to mention that right now it is 68 degrees outside. I went out to do my mall walk wearing shorts and a T-shirt and it was colder in the mall then outdoors. Amazing, though 8 degrees on Monday night... it will easily hit 70+ here today. Now if it will just stay that way the rest of winter, I'll be a happy camper. Sorry, @figmentfan423, didn't mean to rub salt in the wound.
Actually though... a small part of me is giggling!

StarWarsGirl

I've enjoyed AKL. Love the pool, love the QS. Unfortunately like many resorts it has also become a destination making it difficult to eat anything in your home resort with planning ADR. A bonus of the moderate resorts and DVC off the beaten track. My only grip about AKL is how far out it is and the transportation difficulties I've had from the Lodge. Yep all resorts have troubles with transportation from time to time and we did at POR our last trip but in all my years at Disney and all the resorts we've stayed at never have I had the consistent problems we had at AKL. Heading to DTD and MK was outright painful. It is a shame cause I really do love the resort.
The bus service is the main reason we're only at AKL three nights. We've done it in the past when we've driven down here after a Hilton Head trip and we've had a car. That makes it a bit less painful. I love waking up and seeing giraffes, though.

StarWarsGirl

Glad to hear you had such a good rental experience. Just a few points to tuck in the back of your mind for the future, based upon my own experiences with rentals from various companies, in different locations throughout the U.S.

Regarding declining the daily damage waiver, that's fine if your own (private) car insurance covers rentals as well. (I'm sure you checked that out prior to your trip.) Beware of a few other things -- first of all, rental companies are usually franchises--different rules can apply in different locations--always read the fine print.

Secondly, let's say you declined the damage waiver, and you crash the car--"some" rental company (locations) may request you pay up front for the damage repair, and then get reimbursed from your own insurance company. Obviously, that could be a major expense, and you may not have that amount of money on hand--and insurance companies aren't exactly speedy to reimburse their customers either.

Lastly, "some" rental company (locations) will tack on a daily "loss of use" charge (let's say you crash the car). For every day they cannot rent that car, you can get charged.

Knock on wood, I've never had to deal with any rental car accidents, but I still always elect the damage waiver, in addition to third party liability coverage (in case I hit another vehicle, and the other driver gets injured and tries to sue me). The automatic liability coverage you'll receive when you rent the car can vary widely from state to state (whatever that state law demands that the rental company has to provide). So I elect the higher coverage (usually that doesn't cost too much more each day).

It cost me more money for electing some daily add-ons, but I had peace of mind. (Others may have a difference of opinion here, but this was the only way I could deal with the possibilities.) All I'm really saying is that it's important to dissect the fine print on all rentals (every time you rent--even from the same place--new rules can sneak in), regardless of company name and/or location.
Thanks Minnie. For this trip, I actually sat down while I booked the reservation online with my group member and asked him all the questions. Since they're not a franchise, differences usually only apply with locations based on demand (so an airport will charge more than another location because of higher demand) and state laws. I asked him about the damage waiver (which was basically for them to collect the deductible) and he did not recommend it. Or anything else that was optional. I ran it by both my parents and my friend's mom, and they agreed. Our insurance policy also covered us, which my group project member said is usually the case, but it is always good to double check. It made me no more nervous than driving my own car not having the options.

I alwayd read contracts before I sign them. Lawyer's daughter. ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks Minnie. For this trip, I actually sat down while I booked the reservation online with my group member and asked him all the questions. Since they're not a franchise, differences usually only apply with locations based on demand (so an airport will charge more than another location because of higher demand) and state laws. I asked him about the damage waiver (which was basically for them to collect the deductible) and he did not recommend it. Or anything else that was optional. I ran it by both my parents and my friend's mom, and they agreed. Our insurance policy also covered us, which my group project member said is usually the case, but it is always good to double check. It made me no more nervous than driving my own car not having the options.

I alwayd read contracts before I sign them. Lawyer's daughter. ;)

Well done!

betty rose

@betty rose , I was thinking about you on my bus ride home from work tonight. Do you still have a neighbor that has a big Rottweiler, that you used to like to play with sometimes? Can't recall if you've seen the dog lately, or if those particular neighbors happened to move out. Since you've been disappointed with a bunch of the locals, I just happened to remember that there was one neighbor that had a Rottie, that you enjoyed having over once in a while.
They are still here, but they work, and the doggie hasn't been out in this crazy weather. The 90 to 100 mph winds just doesn't stop. Today was much better only 20 to 30mph. Thanks for thinking of me. We have been moving dd to an apartment this week. It should end this week-end. I hope so. I hope all is well on your end.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
They are still here, but they work, and the doggie hasn't been out in this crazy weather. The 90 to 100 mph winds just doesn't stop. Today was much better only 20 to 30mph. Thanks for thinking of me. We have been moving dd to an apartment this week. It should end this week-end. I hope so. I hope all is well on your end.

Oh good, they're still around. Maybe in the warmer weather you'll see them again and can visit the doggie.

Relieved to hear that you're helping DD move to an apartment this week. This is a positive step for her, and things will be looking up from now on in her life. She's lucky to have nice, supportive parents to help her transition through this chapter of her life.

betty rose

Here's the latest around here. For the first time in 4 days the temperature finally went above freezing and it is just in the nick of time. Another day and the entire population of NC would have to be committed to padded cells. Not just the "bread and milk" southerners, but, also the re-located northerners that are about to go over the edge dealing with the frustration of being a prisoner for no damn reason.

For a little background. This state, as a whole, spends millions and millions of dollars to plant all types of fantastic flowers, shrubs, etc. at every intersection that exists. Changing them out at least three times a year. Live, beautiful plants yanked out and replaced with new "different" plants. Yet, cannot find a way to fund a comparatively small amount to maintaining the highways in a safe condition.

We got a dusting of snow, seriously it didn't even cover the windshields of most of the cars. Some early rain and then due to the fact that the ground here is still fairly warm after the sun went down that water and melted snow froze creating a lot of ice. The temperatures almost never got below 20. We know that had they got out there with some salt or sand that vast majority of over 3000 automobile mishaps would have been avoided. Saving thousands in property damage, injuries and lost Commercial business due to people being unable to get to work or unwilling to go to work because of dangerous road conditions. Also people doing the support of those businesses couldn't get out to spend money either.

I'm thinking that although all the shelves were cleared of bread and milk, that wasn't going to make up for it. The long and short of it is that they just called a state of emergency because some of the minor (and anyone that has ever been here, at least in the Raleigh area, know how minor) hills on the roads are still ice covered and people cannot get up them. Ridiculous! Still by Friday the temps are supposed to reach the 70's, so I'll forgive them. But, I'll be all fired up again when the next storm (?) gets here.
You should be fired up. Flowers, as nice as they look, don't compare to people's lives and occupations. My thought is....it's more expensive to remove snow, or put down ice repelant.

betty rose

Oh good, they're still around. Maybe in the warmer weather you'll see them again and can visit the doggie.

Relieved to hear that you're helping DD move to an apartment this week. This is a positive step for her, and things will be looking up from now on in her life. She's lucky to have nice, supportive parents to help her transition through this chapter of her life.
Thank you, I admit it's been hard. But, parent's take the load when needed. That's just what we do.

betty rose

Good afternoon all...

15873364_1632987496997455_7390653264702269746_n.jpg
so sweet

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom