The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

People shouldn't yell at people. I'm with you on that...

Your professors give you study guides and review material before tests? Can't adult students do this for themselves? I wouldn't do that for my students.
He normally wouldn't for a regular test but considering that he's barely followed the syllabus, I don't know how else we would know what's actually on the test. What he gave us today should have been part of the syllabus. I don't think he's even written the test yet. What I really want is extra practice problems with answers to know if I'm doing them correctly (our textbook does not have answers for practice problems. I know in middle and high school, my math textbook usually had problems with selected answers, and for accounting, we had an online program that we could use and it would tell us if we were correct or not). Not an unreasonable request, but even if he said no, I don't see a reason to yell at a student, regardless of whether or not they are an adult.

As far as study guides in college go, some professors give them and some don't. It really depends on the professor. Unless you're a math or science major, at the very least, professors do a review day. And I go to two schools, my main one is a small private school and the other is a large state school (I go there because my school does not offer upper level Spanish). At the other school, my first semester, the professor didn't give study guide, but this semester, this professor gives a study guide. He gives you a list of vocabulary and expects you to find what's on the list yourself. Either way, professors at least verbally tell you what will be on the test. And it depends on the professor, not the school.

betty rose

He normally wouldn't for a regular test but considering that he's barely followed the syllabus, I don't know how else we would know what's actually on the test. What he gave us today should have been part of the syllabus. I don't think he's even written the test yet. What I really want is extra practice problems with answers to know if I'm doing them correctly (our textbook does not have answers for practice problems. I know in middle and high school, my math textbook usually had problems with selected answers, and for accounting, we had an online program that we could use and it would tell us if we were correct or not). Not an unreasonable request, but even if he said no, I don't see a reason to yell at a student, regardless of whether or not they are an adult.

As far as study guides in college go, some professors give them and some don't. It really depends on the professor. Unless you're a math or science major, at the very least, professors do a review day. And I go to two schools, my main one is a small private school and the other is a large state school (I go there because my school does not offer upper level Spanish). At the other school, my first semester, the professor didn't give study guide, but this semester, this professor gives a study guide. He gives you a list of vocabulary and expects you to find what's on the list yourself. Either way, professors at least verbally tell you what will be on the test. And it depends on the professor, not the school.
Sympathy like. He just sounds like a bully to me. Give him the respect he deserves.......none.

French Quarter

No, you are right. A professor shouldn't be yelling at a student.

I guess times have changed since I went through university. I'm gettin' old. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom