The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

This!
Almost all of Mexican pavilion is TEXMEX food, not authentic mexican.
Almost every dish has for example, yellow corn. Noone in Mexico uses yellow corn other than Tuna salad.
The only thing remotely close to being "authentic" in a loose term, was the birria tacos from the quick food area.. and still tasted nothing like the real thing (tasted like they used canned sweet tomato paste for example).
their tortilla chips are also classic tex mex, super thin.
I think the only time I've seen close to fully mexican stuff was during the food and wine festivals, a booth in the mexican pavilion having a torta ahogada (which tasted like the real thing, only downside was the bread, which was not)
You can blame the company running the restaurant for that one. Disney doesn't run it. I think they do run the Food and Wine stands, which may be why it was closer.

StarWarsGirl

Genuine Norwegian food is very tasty. Unsurprisingly heavy on seafood.
Yeah, Disney generally just does an okay job on the seafood. Too far inland. You get better seafood elsewhere in the US.

That being said, the closest thing to Maryland crab soup I've had outside of Maryland/Southern PA was in WDW. But for some reason they wanted to add cheese on top. I suddenly knew how all the foreigners at Epcot must feel. 😂

rshell68

Don't feel bad. Six Flags Great America is the closest Six Flags by me, but they haven't advertised in the part of southeastern Wisconsin I live in for years despite being less than a hour away.

When I was in high school we took a band trip to some places in Southern Wisconsin and ended with a day at Six Flags Great America. It was fun but the lines were long for everything and there was a new ride a Batman coaster that had just opened and the wait was about 2 hours (so no thanks). My friends and I had our picture with Daffy Duck and the person in the Daffy Duck put their hands on mine and my friends bottom during the picture! That was a little more than we wanted.
The last time we visited the Gurnee location we unfortunately were in line between rival gangs that decided to start fighting o_O

Cesar R M

Agree. Tex Mex is Northern Mex combined with Texas twist and is not real Mexican by a long shot. When in Texas I avoid Tex Mex and get the real deal. Tijuana also has great tasty cheap food in many places. If we see a long line of customers we know the food is good and we stand in line.
You could always go to Houston or Austin, there are some places that indeed do offer authentic food.
They are not that hard to find as their service is classic sit down restaurant than the usual US style service.

Cesar R M

You can blame the company running the restaurant for that one. Disney doesn't run it. I think they do run the Food and Wine stands, which may be why it was closer.
I have a feeling the owner is going to be a Californian white owned business.
Most "mexican" food atrocities seems to come from there lol.

*edit*
But you never know. I remember reading about this latino californian being proud of "reinventing many dishes".
And they were the worst convoluted "bowls" you could see in taco bell one day.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

I have a feeling the owner is going to be a Californian white owned business.
Most "mexican" food atrocities seems to come from there lol.

*edit*
But you never know. I remember reading about this latino californian being proud of "reinventing many dishes".
And they were the worst convoluted "bowls" you could see in taco bell one day.
Quick Google search shows that it's Florida-based, and the CEO is a white dude.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
One cold climate which had the most tasteless food rated by my family is Norway. That cuisine had no spice to really rave about. We dined at the all u can eat Askerhaus at Epcot back in the day. I actually enjoyed the many plates of the various raw herring on the buffet however the roasted chicken was trash. The $5 whole roasted at Costco tasted better. The salmon tasted like any salmon I could eat at the local bagel place. A mild climate that has good pickled herring is Amsterdam and the Indonesian food is top notch.

Uh, the food in the Norway pavilion has been blanded for American tastes.

It's not really Norway...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hard to believe. Disney does their research when it comes to culture and cuisine before they build out. Prince Harald w/ royal family from Norway even came for the grand opening of the Norway pavilion. No I haven’t been and after eating the various foods , salmon, fish dishes , mutton stew , boiled potato , herring , roast chicken , brown bread with various cheese at Askerhaus , visiting Norway is not on my bucket list.

You're going to judge a country's cuisine based upon the "modified for American tastes" version in a WS pavilion?

Lilofan

Awesome and insanely expensive.
I have heard that too. Nearby Iceland is a nice place to visit , Blue Lagoon is a wonder, the volcanic soap makes your skin as smooth as a baby's butt . Food was not to our liking , bland and boring but the smoked salmon was good.

Lilofan

Geir Ness?

That’s been sold there since it opened and is incredibly popular
That guy was there making a guest appearance doing promotions when we exited the ride into the gift shop. When a number of guests spray their sweaty bodies with that tester fragrance it really makes the gift shop overpowering with his product.

Lilofan

You could always go to Houston or Austin, there are some places that indeed do offer authentic food.
They are not that hard to find as their service is classic sit down restaurant than the usual US style service.
Spent much time in Houston before splitting with my ex. Food I liked a lot were the trailer trucks off to the side of the road selling tacos , tortas and sit down places - Vietnamese , Cajun, BBQ, etc.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom