The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

SteveBrickNJ

May Bobby Rydell RIP.

Although I never followed his career, I do know that was well known by many, down through the years. I was surprised to read (in a different article) that he had released an album as recently as 2017. He had 34 top 100 hits, in his career!

(Side note: @Tony the Tigger , I assume some may be looking for his music in your store.)

Thanks for posting this.

donaldtoo

How we go from a simple silly meme to obvious copyrighted professional material, I have no clue. Our firm has lawyers for the latter, me not so much for a silly meme I create and post on a site just for s and giggles… :rolleyes:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
How we go from a simple silly meme to obvious copyrighted professional material, I have no clue. Our firm has lawyers for the latter, me not so much for a silly meme I create and post on a site just for ****s and giggles… :rolleyes:
Here's my two cents:

I think the "general" issue that someone pointed out is the copyright part (having nothing to do with any of your specific memes -- as I've never seen you post any memes from your company).

Apparently, crediting a meme source is a serious issue for (some) people's memes. All I know is I've seen many memes posted on various sites, and I don't recall noticing if any had a caption about who created the meme. 🤷‍♀️

As you mentioned, you have fun with your own memes, and happily share with us and others for our enjoyment as well. That's certainly fine.

I think it's probably an individual preference, for those who post memes, if they prefer that they are credited, when a meme is shared.

Cesar R M

Oy. And why so many firms have people hired to take down posts of entitled people feeling they are entitled to rip off others. I’m learning but it isn’t OK to believe you are entitled to snarf up others work In any profession Or hobby.
Memes have never been for profession or hobby.
They are meant to be shared.
There of course are other inventions like the NYAN cat which are indeed copyrighted because they were more than a meme. It was a design done from scratch, where everything is original.
A meme by definition is something of a joke related to an existing image or photo, with some comedic sequence and/or text. It is a derivative of a derivative.

Also, ownership is nebulous.
You give "ownership" to the original image creator even if he's dead? (example the famous painting I love to use) or do you give it to the meme creator and who made it popular?

Now, photos, videos and images, specially with content. That is more straightforward. Specially if someone else is trying to monetize. (this has happened with memes like the pepe frog) or for example, someone steals a famous photographer's photo and uses it has a meme. The photograph or image still is copyrighted the original photographer. Someone claiming that they own the picture because it has been modified to be used as a meme is dumb as hell.
So yes, claiming ownership of memes is idiocy in my opinion.
In the other hand, citing the original sources of the images before the memes are indeed a polite way.

whatthe****amireading_.jpg

Btw, better not give credit than use the useless "credit to the artist".
Nothing enfuriates an artist more than just see the "Credit to the artist" with no link, no name, etc.. Its worth nothing.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Here's my two cents:

I think the "general" issue that someone pointed out is the copyright part (having nothing to do with any of your specific memes -- as I've never seen you post any memes from your company).

Apparently, crediting a meme source is a serious issue for (some) people's memes. All I know is I've seen many memes posted on various sites, and I don't recall noticing if any had a caption about who created the meme. 🤷‍♀️

As you mentioned, you have fun with your own memes, and happily share with us and others for our enjoyment as well. That's certainly fine.

I think it's probably an individual preference, for those who post memes, if they prefer that they are credited, when a meme is shared.

Still makes no sense to me.
I get copyrights and all.
We recently had a client that wanted us to copy a plan from an architect in California. The partner told the client we don’t do that, it’s not right, and we’ve successfully sued people for doing same to our firm.
The client ended up paying the California architect to use the plan, that we then redrew and tweaked.
Kinda’ odd that the client just didn’t go to the original architect for the plan, but, they wanted our “touch”.
Even when the partner talked to the other architect, the other architect asked why we didn’t just steal it…again, the partner told him the same thing he told the client…!!!!! :hilarious:
Again, I get all that.
But, to me anyway, trying to copyright or even get credit for a meme, or such, is like trying to do same for something like a “dad joke”…I just don’t get it.
One is a full-blown legit money-making business situation, and the other is just some social media silliness.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Still makes no sense to me.
I get copyrights and all.
We recently had a client that wanted us to copy a plan from an architect in California. The partner told the client we don’t do that, it’s not right, and we’ve successfully sued people for doing same to our firm.
The client ended up paying the California architect to use the plan, that we then redrew and tweaked.
Kinda’ odd that the client just didn’t go to the original architect for the plan, but, they wanted our “touch”.
Even when the partner talked to the other architect, the other architect asked why we didn’t just steal it…again, the partner told him the same thing he told the client…!!!!! :hilarious:
Again, I get all that.
But, to me anyway, trying to copyright or even get credit for a meme, or such, is like trying to do same for something like a “dad joke”…I just don’t get it.
One is a full-blown legit money-making business situation, and the other is just some social media silliness.
I understand what you're saying, and I might have a solution.

Perhaps, if people who share memes don't want others to share them (without first giving due credit to the author) -- then maybe they could put a caption at the bottom of the meme, that says something to the effect of, "If sharing this meme, please caption with my name, as the creator."

Songbird76

I believe the point is as a cyclist you are not incurring gasoline prices at all by cycling to work As it requires zero gasoline to cycle.

Me I ride my bike every where possible during the 5 months weather here allows, almost there though. It was a harsh winter here and an extremely wet early spring. Normally I’d walk many of my chores even during the winter and early spring Less lately. Soaking wet not fun.

Me I also use physical exercise more for weight control and fitness. I have no desire at my age to resemble Santa Claus. Not good health for my age.
I know....my point is that people over here ride bikes instead of in cars whenever possible. Even with so many people riding bikes instead of in cars, it hasn't helped getting gas prices down, even without the demand for gas. Our gas prices are WAY higher than yours are, even though there's less demand for gas, because fewer people drive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom