The BoneYard at Disney World and Kitchen Kabaret Rumors and Questions

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Looks like a mass grave for the bodies of all those Souls that inhabit its a Small World dolls. Either that or the missiles have had a leak.

rock_doctor

i truly find it hard to believe a company that is so cost conscience would bury tons of steel rather then cut it up and sell the scrap. I am sure the subs have been recycled. Shame really they need to keep one of each item they take apart for a Disney Museum.

Skipper Dan

Okay, am I the only one that's shocked, confused, and a little disturbed at the fact that they are burying enourmous containers full of stuff?

What's up with that? Can someone explain this please? :lookaroun

Space Mountain

The area is 'restricted' but there are no guards.. I'm sure mouse surplus has picked the place clean at this point... everything else has been move to the landfill on the other side of MK..

Isnt the left side (Maple Rd) actually gated and secured? Last I checked the fireworks were housed back there which is most likely the reason for the gates.

spacemt09

Isnt the left side (Maple Rd) actually gated and secured? Last I checked the fireworks were housed back there which is most likely the reason for the gates.

Yes it is. The road leading back to the landfill/where the subs are buried is secured because of the firework storage facility. The new fire station is at the intersection of Maple Rd. and Floridian Way.

To confirm, there are no longer security booths at the "boneyard", mainly because of Pluto Park from my understanding. I wouldn't suggest driving back through there though. Any non-Disney vehicle (white with logos) will stick out like a sore thumb and there most likely will be people back there that will call security.

From my understanding part of the reason things get put in the boneyard and not scrapped for parts is that they are still technically being paid off. I don't really know/understand this side of things but it makes sense that you couldn't scrap off things until it has been paid off.

mloradites

From my understanding part of the reason things get put in the boneyard and not scrapped for parts is that they are still technically being paid off. I don't really know/understand this side of things but it makes sense that you couldn't scrap off things until it has been paid off.

It's called depreciation, basically you can outlay large amounts of cash for purchases and then over a fixed period of time deduct calculated amounts from your balance sheet.

For example say a 20000 leagues sub cost $10k and it's expected life is 10 years, Disney spends $10k in cash upfront but on their balance sheet you don't see $10k out on day 1 but rather $1k each year for 10 years.

The problem is if they pull the item out of service and trash it before it fully depreciates they would have to write off whatever of the orignal purchase hasn't depreciated yet and that creates a hit on the balance sheet and that can create a loss if, one item not so bad, but many add up and then boom no profit from the theme park division, less profit at the company level and unhappy shareholders.

Thus we come to the boneyard, they don't scrap the equipment they bury it in "Storage" and thus no write off

And that concludes accounting 101 for today!

scottnj1966

Remember that monorail "captain" was probably just working on small world before this job.
They do not have all the facts and cast members always love to spread whatever rumors they have heard.
For this guy he is correct to a point.
There is a bone yard. Numerous ones actually. There is one down that street behind Space Mountain. It actually had the 20,000 league subs until they scrapped them.
Last time I looked it was mostly signs and stuff like that.

I wish I could venture into all the areas without being shot, just kidding, but it would be cool to see all the stuff.
A lot of it is taken away, mouse surplus gets tons of it. That place had some awesome things for sale. They still do. Snow white cars from the rides, Mr Toad too. A bought one of the abcd button panel from who wants to be a millionaire.

http://mousesurplus.myshopify.com/

My dad, my sister, my mom, and me were riding in front of the monorail with the captain.....

He told us that there is a BoneYard where items from attractions that have been closed have been put there..... I believe him... but the thing I want to know is where it is, and how can you get in it? (tour, have to be a cast member... etc)

Also, someone told me that Bonnie Apetit's head is stored in the Boneyard or under the Carousel of Progress..... and that you can go on a 'secret' tour and play with the controls that control her body in an Imaginering warehouse....

Can anyone confirm this?

Lee

Adventurer
imo not even close to worth it, and we paid $160 since we had a disney visa.
Oh, I think it's worth it, especially if you're a real nut for how the place works.
Done it a couple of times.
Only complaint I have now is that they take you to the florist facility instead of backstage at Body Wars. I understand the reason for not going to BW...but the florist is hardly a reasonable replacement.

redkoala245

Wow that is very interesting. :) I didn't know WDW has a storage place for the old attractions (and I always wanted to know what Disney does with all the old attraction stuff). I wish I could go there and check it out.
They sell some old WDW stuff on Ebay (Disneyana) also.

Lee

Adventurer

Attachments

• fwlaunch.JPG
    fwlaunch.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 43

PhotoDave219

Do you mean this?

Whatever it is, it appears to be off-property. Switch over to map view and you'll see it is located outside the grey area.

I'm not sure, but this area looks alot like where your pictures came from. Far northwestern edge of the property. Note the partially buried containers.

Ahhh, here we go. Another site, another view of same area showing the subs.

That is back by the landfill and pyro storage area. That is a very secured area and requires going through some locked security fences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom