The Birthday Trip

And no, it is not my birthday. :)

Our trip to WDW will start this coming Thursday. It will be a short one this time, but still, very much welcomed. It all started last Thanksgiving.

One of our closest friend turns 60 on March 2nd. We have been trying to figure out what to do for the special day, and then it strikes us that that should take her and her husband on an all-expense 4-day trip to WDW. They both haven't been there since June 2003 and have been dying to go back. But because they are on a tight budget, they haven't been able to do so.

Now we did thought about taking them along during one of our many trips before, but the expense of all 4 of us going there for 8 or 9 days (our typical length of WDW visit) was just way too much. Then one day, something changed that.

During the opening of the Disney's Doorway to Dreams store here at the Woodfield Mall outside of Chicago, we attended the special presentation to DVC members. One of the special offers they had was that if we add 110 points to our current existing DVC membership, we'll get a one-time bonus of 110 points to be used within a year. So we bought another 110 points, plus that extra 110 points that we must use by August. That's when I hatched the idea that maybe now we can use those bonus points to bring them with us for 4-days, 3 nights. Not only that, we were planning on staying at the DVC villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge in Savannah View rooms!

We hatched the plan around Thanksgiving last year but kept it secret to both of them. It was early in December when we were over at their place that she mentioned that one of her friends was thinking of hosting a birthday party for her on her birthday. That's when I had to tell her the surprise of us taking them to WDW during her birthday weekend so that she didn't commit to any plans. You can just imagine the surprise look on her face and needless to say, she wept. Even her husband, who is normally a cool, calm person, got very excited.

Over the next few days, she called us several times thanking us and already planning on things to do and see while we're there. She even starting thinking of what to bring and wear, and this was still in December last year!

We made all the reservations and arrangements. But she still doesn't know all the details. We told her that we'll have dinner at Boma on Thursday evening, and then dinner at Marrakesh on Friday night. But she has no clue on where we will be having her birthday dinner on March 1st (we are flying home on March 2nd, her birthday, so that's why her birthday dinner is a day earlier). We are keeping that as a secret. But since she doesn't read WDWMagic, I can reveal the full secret to you since I feel like I can trust you not to spill the beans. :) Her birthday dinner will be at the Liberty Tree Tavern, complete with a specially-ordered chocolate cake, which I believe is the same type of cake that *I* had for my birthday a couple of years ago there. I know that both of them have never had dinner at Liberty Tree, so this should be fun.

But that's not the end of the surprise. They also do not know that that evening, we will be attending the Pirates and Princess party at MK! I'm going to buy pirate hats for all of us to wear and will give them their hats after dinner! This ought to be fun. I just hope she doesn't start wailing in tears in front of everybody! :)

I will report from WDW as we go along. I'm looking forward to this because of the couple of surprise elements that they are not expecting or don't know.

Now remember, don't breath a word of this! :)

Zz.

aeillill

This is one of the nicest trip reports that I've read on these boards. Your friend is very lucky to know someone as nice as you!

ZapperZ

Original Poster
We are back home in Chicago. We are all exhausted, but still feel exhilarated from the trip. Our last day was spent at Epcot again. Compare to the previous days that had a few surprises along the way, our last day was relatively uneventful. But still, it was very pleasant, and we certainly had no complaint with the weather. And as always, I felt quite sad about leaving. The last day spent at WDW has never been a "happy" day for me.

I will download the remaining pictures from my camera some time this evening and then will start posting them on here. While the trip was filled with unexpected surprises for the Birthday Girl, there was an unexpected "fame" that I received during our viewing of the Monsters' Inc Laugh Floor last Saturday! I'll tell you more about it later. :)

Can't wait for my next trip in May!

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
The Birthday Cake

Still sorting out my photos, but here are a couple pictures of the birthday cake we got for her during the birthday dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. It was gorgeous, and she really didn't want to up the cake. So we had to take lots and lots of pictures and video of it so that she will have a permanent memento of the cake.

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

Did I tell you that it was chocolate and it was delicious? And the best part about the cake was that it had 0 calories!!

:)

Zz.

DicksonGR

Thanks Zapper!

I always enjoy reading your reports. I'm so glad that you had such a great time. Looking forward to reading your future reports ....

ZapperZ

Original Poster
We attended the Pirates and Princess party on March 1st, which was another surprise for the Birthday Girl. After we told her, we promptly got pirate hats and stuff to wear for the party. When it started, we went on our scavenger hunt getting all the goodies at various locations. Didn't get to go to all of them, because we also did a few attractions such as Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Snow White, Teacups, Pooh, It's A Small World, etc. None of those had any significant wait whatsoever, so it was a lot of fun.

Here are pictures from the parade and the fireworks show that evening during the party.

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

[cont....]

ZapperZ

Original Poster
{cont. of Pirates and Princess party photos}

Here are the fireworks pictures.

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

Of course, we videotaped both the parade and the fireworks. I'll get to editing them and will upload both of them when they are done. So stay tune.

Zz.

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Great report Zapper - just keep May 1st in mind. I promise I'll be surprised!

Hahaha!

Still, you may not believe it, but I'm flying out to WDW on May 1st itself! :) We will be attending the Animal Kingdom pin event that Saturday, but we will fly in rather late on the 1st. So I'm afraid I won't be able to work my "magic" surprises on this trip.

Zz.

Nemo14

Hahaha!

Still, you may not believe it, but I'm flying out to WDW on May 1st itself! :) We will be attending the Animal Kingdom pin event that Saturday, but we will fly in rather late on the 1st. So I'm afraid I won't be able to work my "magic" surprises on this trip.

Zz.
Shhhh - you're supposed to surprise me, remember? ;)

ZapperZ

Original Poster
Music, Magic, and Mayhem

I finally had a chance to edit some of the videos we took, so here's the first. This is the spectacular fireworks show during the Pirate and Princess Party at the Magic Kingdom. Now, just so you have a choice, there are two versions of the fireworks video:

1. Original Soundtrack - I replaced the live sound with the actual music that accompanied this fireworks show. I've done this before with Wishes, HalloWishes, and IllumiNations.

2. Live Audio - Same as above, but with the actual live audio.

Enjoy!

Zz.

bayoumoon

What a great video!!! Where were you when you taping? it is the perfect spot to view. It makes me sad I didn't get to see this show when I went for the first time to the World (Feb07), but it also makes me VERY excited to see it when I'm going in Dec 08:eek:

ZapperZ

Original Poster
What a great video!!! Where were you when you taping? it is the perfect spot to view. It makes me sad I didn't get to see this show when I went for the first time to the World (Feb07), but it also makes me VERY excited to see it when I'm going in Dec 08:eek:

Thank you very much.

We were right on the bridge on Main Street. We didn't want to be too far back or the Castle would be too small (and you can't see all the shadows and images being projected onto it), but we didn't want to be too close either and miss some of the fireworks. In this case, we had to miss all the perimeter fireworks for obvious reasons.

Zz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom