The Best Hospital in Orlando

MouseWorshipper

Original Poster
Alright: all of are planning on a wonderfully magical Disney vacation that is memorable for all the right reasons. But what if the worst should happen? What if that fall in Frontierland is worse than you thought? What if somebody in your group can't stop shaking? If you're not an Orlando local, how are you supposed to know where to go?

Here is my advice: don't let the ambulance driver pick the hospital. Unless your medical problem could be life-threatening, if you're at a Disney-owned facility they'll take you to the "town that Disney built," Celebration, complete with Celebration Hospital. (Yes, the hospital is called Celebration.)

I am still trying to understand how any of these people got through med. school since none of them are worthy of being called a "doc in a box." The facility is also cruddy with a very limited number of exam rooms. There are so few that during my visit there, a kid with a cracked open head and a two-year-old who was throwing up every ten or so minutes with a 102 degree fever weren't even admitted into triage for 2-and-a-half hours! Nevermind my bloodied, broken foot that got put ahead of the vomiting toddler. (Who had arrived before me!)

Suffice it to say, Celebration is unequipped and pathetically staffed. Insist on Sand Lake Hospital - it is by far superior. If the problem is potentially life-threatening, don't worry; that goes to Orlando Hospital which is perfectly acceptable for such cases.

Tim G

Here is my advice: don't let the ambulance driver pick the hospital. Unless your medical problem could be life-threatening, if you're at a Disney-owned facility they'll take you to the "town that Disney built," Celebration, complete with Celebration Hospital. (Yes, the hospital is called Celebration.)
It's not Disney owned...
I am still trying to understand how any of these people got through med. school since none of them are worthy of being called a "doc in a box." The facility is also cruddy with a very limited number of exam rooms. There are so few that during my visit there, a kid with a cracked open head and a two-year-old who was throwing up every ten or so minutes with a 102 degree fever weren't even admitted into triage for 2-and-a-half hours! Nevermind my bloodied, broken foot that got put ahead of the vomiting toddler. (Who had arrived before me!)
You seem to know it all in that one visit...
Suffice it to say, Celebration is unequipped and pathetically staffed. Insist on Sand Lake Hospital - it is by far superior. If the problem is potentially life-threatening, don't worry; that goes to Orlando Hospital which is perfectly acceptable for such cases.
Excuse me... I've stayed there for a couple of weeks over some years... there's absolutely nothing wrong with the hospital...

Attachments

• celhealthlogo.gif
    celhealthlogo.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 289

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I am here to give my dearest appreciation to the paramedic staff of Caribbean Beach Resort.

On a trip two years ago next May, my traveling party and I were taking a surrey bike (multiple-person bike) ride around the "Islands" when a senior member decided to get off and walk the rest of the way due to a chronic neck problem. She hopped off quickly when we stopped and my foot - dangling behind the pedal - was taken for a spin when the bike chain caught it and swung it around as her weight was lifted.

Quite heroicly, the other cyclists on the bike sped me back to the marina where the lifeguards took care of me and my bloodied, swelling left foot until the paramedics arrived. Come to think of it, these lifeguards were spectacularly kind and gentle as well. The paramedics arrived and took me on a pampered ride on the ambulance to Celebration Hospital - only in Disney is the hospital called "Celebration" - where they tended to me and eased my pain with quite humorous jokes.

I am indebted to the kindness and quick action of these two staffs. Thank you. You made a bad vacation ending not quite so terrible. :D
Sounds to me like you have changed your story? :shrug:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=2484479#post2484479

Besides that...why would they want to be called a doc in a box - that's a slight. I believe that ambulance drivers take you to the nearest facility that can handle the case. As they are EMT's, they are doing basic triage enroute.

WDWKat26

MouseWorshipper-Are you for real? As if the spelling of your User name wasn't bad enough (Worshiper is with one P not 2.) thinking you know everything about Disney, Disney Entertainment and now Celebration Hospital honestly upsets me. I frequently visit Celebration Hospital because that is where my Doctor's offices are located. The Hospital is called Celebration because that's the name of the Town, duh. It's not like they intentionally named it that as some kind of oxymoron. The service there has been the best by far based on all of the Hospitals that i've been to. It's clean, quiet and the service there is great. Oh and, by the way, Florida Hospital owns Celebration as well as Sand Lake. Celebration is by far closer and easily accessible.

Weejimmy

Can I Add From A Personal Expieriance, The Celebration Staff Are Very Pleasent And Well Staffed.

But, It's A Far Cry From Hospitals Here.
It Was Like Carpet Everywhere 0_0

But Yes, And Easier Too Get To From Our Hotel Etc To Visit The Person.

k.hunter30

While I have no experience with health care in Orlando, I did want to pipe in for the OP's sake on one thing... He/she never said Celebration Hospital was owned by Disney.
Could you imagine if Disney owned a hospital though? Oy! :rolleyes:

Rabflmom

Oh and, by the way, Florida Hospital owns Celebration as well as Sand Lake. Celebration is by far closer and easily accessible.>>>>>

I thought Florida Hospital and Orlando Regional were competing hospitals. I know Sandlake changed its name, but when my husband had his heart attack at SW they took him to Sandlake. All the bills were from Orando Regional and that is where they took him for the stents. I loved Sandlake Hospital. He was intensive care the whole time he was there and everyone was wonderful. We loved his heart doctor/surgeon and wish he could still be his primary. They even have a wing of rooms to house family of tourists if there is a family member who is hospitalized. We spent several nights free of charge at the hospital when they wanted us to be there just in case. It was a nice room and the people were wonderful.
Orlando Regional is big and somewhat scary( first thing I noticed in the parking garage were signs saying no guns allowed in the hospital; but the people in intensive care there were wonderful, too. My husband got very good care at both hospitals. I couldn't find a place to stay near Orlando Regional, though and had to drive back to the coast every night.

Fluxuated

The original poster is smoking some low grade street drug.

That hospital of Doc-in-a-Boxes happened to save my wife's life when we were at WDW a year ago. But like the others said, you know it all, right?

And why would you make such a post, with no knowledge of what's really going on? Get a clue.

Tim G

That's what I'm talking about... My wife got just got surgury overthere...

Again a very good hospital...

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Both good hospitals. I went to ORMC downtown and Florida Hospital downtown due to my geographic location when I lived in Orlando and the fact that I'm quite scared of Health Central in Ocoee.

disneydiva72

It is very important to have a good hospital in mind when on vacation....my mother had gotten severe food poisoning eating in Japan in Epcot and ended up in the hospital for 3 days (the poison when into her blood stream)...well, anyway, we went to Kissimmee hospital and we were told by one of the nurses there...."be careful they don't like Northerners here"

How lovely....

Eyekimore

A few years back- I needed to visit a hospital on my WDW vacation. It was the crazy week between Christmas and New Years. I went to Celebrations Hospital and had an excellent experience. The place was immaculate and the staff was knowledgeable, efficient, and timely. I've always felt comfortable saying that if I needed to go to the hospital again- i'd feel great going there.

Mike 08

the OP through me for a loop when i read this. i was taken to Celebration Hospital by ambulance from DHS on December 22nd, 2008. i had twisted my ankle very badly. i figured I'd be there for six hours at least. i was taken into the ER, they didnt have a room for me, i thought bad sign. they put me up against a wall on the girney. thirty seconds later i was being brought in for x rays. the tech said ok a doctor will take a look at these then see you. i thought ok two hours at least. two minutes later a doc came by and introduced himself and said ill take a look at your X-rays and then ill let you know whats up. he came back in five minutes and told me it wasnt broken just severely sprained and he'd get an ace band to wrap it for me. he came back two minutes later and wrapped it, answered all my questions extremely thouroughly and said a nurse will be here to discharge you. three minutes later a nurse had me sign a paper and i was on my way. i told them all it was the best ER i have ever been to. half hour at max. i was so impressed. i know i was there during a busy time of year. it was about nine p.m. i guess you got unlucky that day.

rwdavis2

My wife spent 3 days at the hospital in Celebration last January. She has been a floor nurse, critical care nurse, and nurse anesthetist over 30 years and says it's probably the best care she's ever had in a hospital. Although most of the docs seemed to be foreigners she had no complaints about the care other than they were too conservative (she wanted to be released sooner). Excellent in almost every way. I found the ER treatment rooms clean and roomy as well as private. We even watched the Green Bay/New York playoff game while waiting for room upstairs.

It was pricey. She was in a step-down from critical care but not a regular floor and the price was $20,000+ for the 3 days including all the many tests they had to run. The room had an internet-connected PC for use at all times which was included in the price of the room as well as a flat panel TV. Luckily between our health and travel insurance we paid nothing out of pocket. Even the extra cost of hotel and the changed airfare. My guess the OP has some sort of ax to grind.
BD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom