The Anticlockwise Theory?

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Morning All,I read once that when entering a park,most people go round the parks clockwise,and it's better to go in a anticlockwise direction.I have seen people with the map of the park at the entrance of AK and going from left to right,is this theory correct?or iam losing it?:shrug:

copcarguyp71

I have to admit I never thought about it but now that I have I realize I am one of the mindless drones I guess! We go clockwise at MK, Epcot and AK but for some reason seem to freestyle at MGM (it will ALWAYS be MGM!).

Funny that I never thought about it...going to try the counterclockwise method on our trip in October and see if it makes a huge difference.

Cosmic Commando

Actually I think the theory is that people are biased to go to the right since most are right-handed. I would bet most people go to Tomorrowland first, but maybe after that they go counterclockwise. Main St is set up so that things that you will likely need are on your right-hand side: camera store and breakfast when you walk in, Emporium and dinner (Casey's) on your way out.

Jason21783

Counterclockwise makes most sense if you are going by ride popularity: Tomorrowland first, then Fantasyland, then Splash and Big Thunder. That's what I've always based my touring on.

rodserling27

I almost always used to go counter-clockwise at MK, but now I've concocted my own path that I think maximizes attraction time and minimizes wait time. I've never done MK straight-up clockwise, but it would be interesting to do that. Epcot, MGM and AK...well..I just sort of do whatever there. No real pattern. Except World Showcase. Almost always do it clockwise.

Mad Stitch

I was told in traditions class that most people go counterclockwise around the park. Since our society drives on the right hand side of the road we tend to walk and veer to the right. Therefore as you enter the Magic Kingdom, the first shop on your right is the camera shop followed by all the consumable goods. As you leave the shops on the right are the merchandise. The sidewalk into Tomorrowland is wider to accommodate more people; they also decline slightly as you walk counterclockwise to make it easier for wheelchairs and strollers.

MissMorrow

I go counterclockwise around MK and clockwise everywhere else. But strangely enough when it comes to the AK, if I wind up going counterclockwise I totally loose my sense of direction. Don't know why :shrug:

bgraham34

My first day at MK I do counter clockwise starting in Fantasyland. But after the first day its typically clockwise.

UPbeekeeper

For individual attractions with lines, I always use the rule to go to the left line if available as most people mindlessly veer to the right. As far as the parks themselves, I bypass everything (probably wasting much time) and head straight to the attraction that I absolutely MUST DO or my vacation will be a disaster. Once I've satisfied that need, I just plan strategy from there. (MK=beeline to Space Mountain, DHS=beeline to Tower of Terror, EPCOT=beeline to Soarin' AK=Eh...not my one of my favorite Disney places). As a rule, though after I complete my obsession attractions, I usually travel counterclockwise.

JIMINYCR

I'm left handed and I immediately go left at all the parks on the first days. Then upon entering the parks on following days I take the shotgun approach, going in no particular order, hitting those areas that interest me the most. It doesn't matter which line I stand in. Left or right, it will always be the slower one :shrug: it happens this way to me at the grocery store too :ROFLOL:

whitethunder

Alright I have heard of this, and very carefully developed a method for this. I go directly to the back of the park, then continue clockwise..

No data supporting this is faster or reduced wait times, but I think most people hang out toward the front sections of the parks.

Goofy6294

We normally go clockwise in MK, mainly because my sons' favorite rides are PC and HM. We normally go clockwise in Epcot because, well, I'm not sure why (insert sheep bleating). In AK and HS, I'm not sure how we do it, 'cause I still get lost in those parks!

FigmentJedi

Magic Kingdom: Zigzag between the mountains, but do some lands as a set.
Epcot: Usually start Future World going clockwise from Test Track/Mission Space. With the closure, probably shifting towards starting at The Land this May. World Showcase is usually done clockwise as well for their rides.
Studios: Sorta counterclockwise
Animal Kingdom: Counterclockwise from Asia.

phlydude

Going to the left (or clockwise) in the MK is generally the way I go. Even where lines have 2 queues, I go left. Most people equate left with exit or wrong side so things tend to be less crowded. Try it on pirates and watch as you blow by the people waiting in line on the right.

Of course, if people go left and people go right, when they all meet up in the middle, it is a cluster**** - so if you really want to avoid the crowds, beat the stroller bunch back to Fantasyland and ride Dumbo, Pooh and Pan before it gets too crowded and then fastpass your way back through the park

Chrononymous

I love to see Adventureland first, so I always go clockwise in MK...

But I always go counterclockwise in every other park. (including World Showcase.)

Huh. Never thought about it before.

copcarguyp71

I go counter clockwise like I said BUT I am left handed...I wonder if there is any relationship between handedness and the direction people go?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom