Trip Report The 3rd Wheel, 3rd Annual, 4th Time Disney Closed Trip

Hi friends:)

This sure was a different trip for many reasons, the big one- being there during the hurricane.

The original title I was planning on was: The Third Wheel, Third Annual Food & Wine trip, but after being there during the hurricane I think that deserves some acknowledgement haha.

This is the third year that my best friend, Emily, and I went to Disney for for Food & Wine. The third wheel comes in because Emily’s husband, JP, would be joining us this year. I’ve known JP just as long as I’ve known Emily, so no awkwardness as it may seem going with my best friend & her husband. The third wheel part is also a joke because if you ask any of our friends, and JP, they would say JP is more of the third wheel between us haha :joyfull:

These were the original plans, but MUCH of this changed throughout the trip, thank you Matthew:cautious:

WHEN:
Wednesday, October 5th – Sunday, October 9th.

WHERE:
We were doing a split stay between The Boardwalk and Saratoga Springs. I couldn’t believe when I saw the Boardwalk came up at such a good rate. I’ve always wanted to stay at one of the EPCOT resorts, and being there during food & wine would be perfect. I’ve also never stayed at Saratoga so was looking forward to checking that one off this list too.

PLANS:
Wednesday: Magic Kingdom, only night for Wishes & the LAST time we’d get to see the electrical parade:cry:

Thursday: Hollywood Studios in the morning, Food & Wine afternoon & night

Friday: The Chew taping in the morning, Magic Kingdom in the afternoon, Hoop Dee Doo (Emily’s only request this trip).

Saturday: Animal Kingdom in the morning, more Food and Wine

Sunday: Emily & JP leave early, no real plans for my morning

I was actually kind of hesitant on even making this trip happen. I was just there in July, and already had a trip planned for November, I knew I’d be relentlessly teased for going "AGAIN." I was also a bit wary on spending 4.5 days nonstop with JP. He’s a great friend, and him and Emily are perfect for each other, but you know how some people are just more difficult to be around, especially in close quarters for a long period of time…
Emily would bring up the trip and I’d kind of push it away, but felt bad because she’s used all her time off for other people this year (weddings, etc), this was the one thing she wanted for herself.

When I saw that my only options for hotels were 1 bedroom suites, that made me feel a bit better so we’d have some more space. Then when I saw The Chew would be filming the same week, I was even more excited. I love that show and the people on it, and have a few buddies that work there so was hopeful we’d get to go to a taping. THEN when they announced the Electrical Parade would be ending that weekend, it sealed the deal and the trip was on!

Off we go…or do we?

samantha788

Original Poster
We had of course been watching the forecast for the hurricane very closely. We had already gotten an email saying The Chew taping was cancelled:cry:They were going to tape everything Tuesday and Wednesday and could go to any of those if we wanted, except we wouldn’t be there yet.

I was also struggling because this storm was a huge deal, and I felt SO guilty leaving my team at work to handle it all so I could go on vacation. They all assured me it was fine, they would be fine, and if anyone else had a vacation planned, they’d do the same thing. At the same time, if I were working, I would have actually been traveling TO the hurricane, something I’ve always wanted to do, so now I was even more frustrated and torn. Every time we’ve gotten to travel for work this year, I’ve had something else going on so couldn’t go (moving, weddings, vacation).

I had finally gotten over it and accepted there was nothing we can do, so we’ll go and have a good time.

Then Emily calls me. She and JP are not big travelers at all, so the thought of them getting on a plane to go to Florida with a hurricane coming was not going over well. And our return on Sunday was looking questionable too at the time with the path of the hurricane possibly off the NJ coast. At this point, Disney wasn’t canceling anything, and to my knowledge, wasn’t waiving any cancellation fees yet. Our airfare we would have had to pay to change too. Everything. So I left it up to Emily, just reassuring her that at least getting there Wednesday would be no issue, then at least we are there, play the rest by ear, and make the best of it!

What a depressing start, haha. Now, off we really go!

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 5th!
I had always planned on working the morning before our flight, but with the hurricane it was SO busy and I had to be in earlier than normal…3 am:arghh: My flight wasn’t until 2pm, I couldn’t find my rain jacket anywhere which was the one thing I needed to bring more than anything. So after work, I ran to several stores to buy one…do you know how difficult it is to find a rain jacket around here this time of year?!:confused:

Emily and JP had an earlier flight out of Philly, they actually landed just as I was taking off. So they went ahead and hopped on the Magical Express to our hotel. A first for both of them!

My flight was a nice and short 2 hours, always a reminder of how “close” Orlando really is.

When I landed and everyone turned their phones on, all you heard was the emergency alert and this popped up…

I hurried off the plane and just had a short wait for DME. Soon enough we were pulling through the gates…
The rainy welcome was just a sign of things to come haha

I was excited to check out our room and couldn’t believe when I went to the balcony that we could see the Tower of Terror!! My favorite ride, I couldn’t believe it was right there, the thought of possibly seeing it from the boardwalk never crossed my mind.

The rain stopped when I got there so we headed off to Magic Kingdom:inlove:

LisaBelle

Hi friends:)

This sure was a different trip for many reasons, the big one- being there during the hurricane.

The original title I was planning on was: The Third Wheel, Third Annual Food & Wine trip, but after being there during the hurricane I think that deserves some acknowledgement haha.

This is the third year that my best friend, Emily, and I went to Disney for for Food & Wine. The third wheel comes in because Emily’s husband, JP, would be joining us this year. I’ve known JP just as long as I’ve known Emily, so no awkwardness as it may seem going with my best friend & her husband. The third wheel part is also a joke because if you ask any of our friends, and JP, they would say JP is more of the third wheel between us haha :joyfull:

These were the original plans, but MUCH of this changed throughout the trip, thank you Matthew:cautious:

WHEN:
Wednesday, October 5th – Sunday, October 9th.

WHERE:
We were doing a split stay between The Boardwalk and Saratoga Springs. I couldn’t believe when I saw the Boardwalk came up at such a good rate. I’ve always wanted to stay at one of the EPCOT resorts, and being there during food & wine would be perfect. I’ve also never stayed at Saratoga so was looking forward to checking that one off this list too.

PLANS:
Wednesday: Magic Kingdom, only night for Wishes & the LAST time we’d get to see the electrical parade:cry:

Thursday: Hollywood Studios in the morning, Food & Wine afternoon & night

Friday: The Chew taping in the morning, Magic Kingdom in the afternoon, Hoop Dee Doo (Emily’s only request this trip).

Saturday: Animal Kingdom in the morning, more Food and Wine

Sunday: Emily & JP leave early, no real plans for my morning

I was actually kind of hesitant on even making this trip happen. I was just there in July, and already had a trip planned for November, I knew I’d be relentlessly teased for going "AGAIN." I was also a bit wary on spending 4.5 days nonstop with JP. He’s a great friend, and him and Emily are perfect for each other, but you know how some people are just more difficult to be around, especially in close quarters for a long period of time…
Emily would bring up the trip and I’d kind of push it away, but felt bad because she’s used all her time off for other people this year (weddings, etc), this was the one thing she wanted for herself.

When I saw that my only options for hotels were 1 bedroom suites, that made me feel a bit better so we’d have some more space. Then when I saw The Chew would be filming the same week, I was even more excited. I love that show and the people on it, and have a few buddies that work there so was hopeful we’d get to go to a taping. THEN when they announced the Electrical Parade would be ending that weekend, it sealed the deal and the trip was on!

Off we go…or do we?
Yay! Excited to hear all about your trip.

samantha788

Original Poster
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. :D

And yeah, teasers gonna tease.
I like the way you think :D

I actually thought you were down there for work. :facepalm:

And I'm not kidding when I say I want to be you or @Tuvalu when I grow up. :p Never feel bad about going to Disney!!
People I work with were flying to Orlando the same time as me - they just headed to the beach and I went to the parks:rolleyes:haha

I was there Oct 1 - Oct 8th and Hurricane Matthew totally messed with the best days I had scheduled of our trip LOL. Looking forward to reading your experiences of the hurricane :)
Hahah yes same! We had one day of real plans and that all went out the window :cry: I'm so far behind - I need to read your report too!

Yay! Excited to hear all about your trip.
Thank you! :)

samantha788

Original Poster
The sky looked so cool after the storms had passed through.

Emily the photographer goofing off…

Our first stop was for dinner; Emily is not an adventurous eater and was starving so we just went to Cosmic Rays where I knew she could get chicken nuggets haha.

After dinner headed over to Fantasyland for our Mine Train FP! JP hadn’t been to WDW in 20ish years so everything seemed different and new to him. The last two years with Emily we kept missing the mine train so she was excited for this – and we were seated in the last car…bonus!

They both enjoyed!

Pirates had a short wait so we went there after, with a stop first in the prettiest bathrooms haha. Then hit up The Jungle Cruise.

After the Jungle Cruise we went for a ride on It’s A Small World. Emily had a great snapchat of me singing along and loving it, then JPs reaction is the total opposite haha

DimpledDevil18

Following along! Glad to see another TR from you. I'm really interested to see how the hurricane impacted your trip and what it was like at Disney with the parks closed. I totally get you with feeling guilty about missing work when things got so busy, but you were heading right into the storm! LOl You could have provided them with your own on location weather report! lol jk

I also totally get the third wheel thing. Both my best friends are married, so I'm pretty used to being the 3rd wheel. It's totally awesome that your friend and her husband still wanted to vacation with you though. I'm jealous! My friends would never, so they must be pretty awesome!

samantha788

Original Poster
After Wishes we went on Buzz Lightyear and the Peoplemover!
Then walked back to Main Street for the electrical parade. I was sad, but felt so lucky that we’d get to see it one last time. I also loved that we were able to get a spot right around the hub, the castle was the perfect backdrop and made for some neat pictures. It had been a long time since I watched the parade from here.

samantha788

Original Poster
My dad jokes about the America float and wanting to put it on their front lawn. He said since the parade is ending, I should have just driven it home. :p

Tried taking a panorama of it – kind of came out neat!

And it's over :cry: As sad as I am to see it go, I am hopeful that we'll eventually get a new, cool, updated version - I loved Paint the Night, something like that in WDW would be awesome!

We then headed over to Emily’s favorite attraction…Monsters Inc Laugh Floor! It really is so funny, several different jokes this time around – Emily & I were hysterical.

By this time we were in EMH which lasted until 1am and despite being up since 2am, I was ready to go until we would hear the Kiss Goodnight after close. JP was tired, Emily would have stuck through and we still had stuff we wanted to do with no wait. I knew this would really be our best chance, and possibly only chance in MK this trip because of the hurricane so I was not ready to call it a night. I wanted (needed) to go say hi to our princess friends and there was a 10 minute posted wait. It took much longer, which didn’t help JP. We told him he could go home and we’d stay but he didn’t want that, so we decided we’d just go after the princesses.

Speaking of… the sign outside said Tiana only, but we took the chance with the hopes of Rapunzel being there. Sure enough she was! I was so excited until she literally didn’t say anything. Tiana either. They were just posing for a picture with each group and moving on. Not sure what that was all about but it was disappointing.

On our way out I was able to sneak in some stops for just a few photos…

samantha788

Original Poster
I'm in @samantha788 ! Interested to read how everything was affected by Matthew...I was so sad when I heard the parks closed, and I wasn't even there lol
Thank you!! It was interesting to experience!

Following along! Glad to see another TR from you. I'm really interested to see how the hurricane impacted your trip and what it was like at Disney with the parks closed. I totally get you with feeling guilty about missing work when things got so busy, but you were heading right into the storm! LOl You could have provided them with your own on location weather report! lol jk

I also totally get the third wheel thing. Both my best friends are married, so I'm pretty used to being the 3rd wheel. It's totally awesome that your friend and her husband still wanted to vacation with you though. I'm jealous! My friends would never, so they must be pretty awesome!
Thank you for reading! :) I told them I would be the Disney World correspondent haha, luckily nothing too bad happened by us so my pictures and videos were useless :)
Aw yeah, it is cool that they still want me around haha. Emily thinks it's funny and is "jealous" that JP is the third wheel between us, and I'm the third wheel between them, so on several of the two seater rides she made JP and I sit together so she could experience being the third wheel :joyfull:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
BTW, love your shirt! :inlove:

IMG_1293.JPG

LeighM

Hahah yes same! We had one day of real plans and that all went out the window :cry: I'm so far behind - I need to read your report too!

Thank you! :)

I missed out on my one night split stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo (DVC villa), our annual dinner at Ohana (which was supposed to be for our anniversary), and breakfast at Boma :cry: :cry: And then Hurricane Matthew followed us home and affected our flight home and then had a downpour for 2 days. We were lucky and didn't have the floods that communities around us experienced.

samantha788

Original Poster
I missed out on my one night split stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo (DVC villa), our annual dinner at Ohana (which was supposed to be for our anniversary), and breakfast at Boma :cry: :cry: And then Hurricane Matthew followed us home and affected our flight home and then had a downpour for 2 days. We were lucky and didn't have the floods that communities around us experienced.
Ugh!! I hope you got a lot done before the storm arrived. And impacting your flight home :( that's the worst.

samantha788

Original Poster
THURSDAY – OCT 6th
We went ahead with our plans as scheduled, we had fastpasses in Hollywood Studios then today would be our big Food & Wine day for the rest of the day and night.

It was raining a little in the morning so we put on our rain coats and headed out. Since it was raining and the boat was there, we hopped right on

JP was of course stopped haha.

Our first stop was for our Tower of Terror Fastpass! When I first took Emily here two years ago, I didn’t tell her what it was. When in line she asked why she heard all the screams. It wasn’t until we were actually on the ride that she figured it out. I’m the worst friend…:oops:
She also swore she would never go on it again haha

I knew JP would like it, and it’s my favorite, so I made the fastpasses for the 3 of us anyway with the hope that Em would join us. We didn’t pressure her, which probably helped, and she decided she would come so it wouldn't mess up our fastpasses:D She said it wasn’t as bad as it was last time, but also said she had no interest in riding it again this trip haha

After we decided that we’d go see Indiana Jones. Last time, Emily didn’t get to see the last stunt because of the weather and we knew JP would like it. While waiting for the show to start I was seeing all the rumors online about the parks closing at 5:00 this day, and closing Friday. They were all reliable sources but we were still trying to ignore it since the announcement hadn’t come from Disney yet.

Well, because of the weather, they didn’t do the whole last act again, and they didn’t do any of the stunts on the buildings in the second act. At this point, the sun was out some, no rain and no wind… so that was frustrating!

When Indiana Jones was over, it was time for our Star Tours fastpass. Another one we did because we knew JP would like it…and he did!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom