Trip Report The “More SunPass than the average Florida resident/Can you believe this is happening?” Trip Report.

*****Disclaimer*****
This is my first trip using a GoPro as my primary form of image capturing. With this comes some trial and error that I learned along the way so I do apologize for the occasional fuzzy picture as well as the excessive amount of pictures I am about to bombard you with. Additionally, I am not known for my wordsmithing as I favor the 1’s and 0’s over the A’s and B’s so I apologize ahead of time for the inevitable grammar and spelling typos that will surely come your way. That said, I do hope you enjoy the following!

So here we are, Surf ‘n Turf trip number four! For all the funtivities about the who/what/when/etc have yourself a nice read here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/18-years-of-marital-bliss-means-it’s-time-for-some-surf-n-turf-action…-again.915877/

So after about five and half hours of sleep I was up bright and early at 04:00 with the DW soon up to follow. The DMIL, who was staying over to watch the DD, saw us off and we ended up pulling out of the house around 04:40 to avoid the madness that is Atlanta traffic. We had to make a quick stop to fuel up first:
20161019_044732.jpg

We chose to avoid eating until we got through downtown because I didn’t want to risk getting caught in anything the ATL could conjure up. Soon we were on the south side and ready for some breakfast. We passed a sign for Truett’s grill, Chick-fil-A founder, and thought this sounded good, I love me some spicy chicken biscuit action! We took the exit and made our way to the grill only to find out that they didn’t open for breakfast until 06:00!! Alas, it was only 05:45 and I was on a mission to not waste time so we hopped back on I-75 and made our way south. We ended up dining at a Chick-fil-A in Macon only to learn that the spicy chicken biscuit has now become a regional item!! I pressed the server to make sure she knew what state we were still in and that the idea of a spicy chicken biscuit not being available in Truett’s home state was just plain nuts! So the DW and I settled for a pair of chicken biscuits but had the fortune that a Dunkin Donuts was right across the street so we were able to secure some good coffee for the trip.
[TangetTime]

True story: I actually met Honey Boo Boo at this very Dunkin Donuts during the state wrestling tournament about three years ago. Now aren’t you jealous!!!
hbb.jpg

hbb2jpg.jpg

[/TangentTime]

We would only stop one more time for fuel and restroom access during our travels. We did, however, pass a most entertaining car fire as we entered into Florida. I felt a bit bad for the folks watching their car crisp up and even worse when we eventually passed the FD traveling north about 5 minutes later. What, amazingly, felt like a short seven-hour ride, we had arrived!
GPExportPhoto.jpg

We navigated our way from Western Way to MK’s main gate. Needless to say I was ready to get to the Poly. Here the DW nabbed a pic of me without knowing, it wouldn’t be the last she would get of me.
GOPR0123.jpg

GOPR0124.jpg

G0020129.jpg

Soon we were in the Poly’s lobby talking in the wonderful sights and smells.
20161019_121033.jpg

We made our way to the front desk to learn our room was not ready. We anticipated this and packed our bathing suits and some libations in a tote for an afternoon poolside before our early evening fastpasses. We made for our car and moved it to the DVC parking lot when we got the call…

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So as the story goes, we were just parking our car at the DVC lot and pulling out our pool bag when I received a call from an unknown number. I was having flashbacks to a trip we took a year before when, after checking in at the front desk, I received a telemarketer call. I let it ring 3 times and finally decided to answer it. On the other end of the line was not a telemarketer but in fact Mary Ann a DVC room manager for the Poly. She was quite pleasant on the phone and inquired about our stay. She apparently didn’t realize we were just at the front desk checking in as she wanted us to come meet her when we arrived at the resort. I told her we were already there and heading to the pool. She asked if we were interested in a possible upgrade and if we could come see her. I told her I could be there in a few minutes and Laura and I made a b-line for the Poly lobby again. I was thinking, ok they over booked and they no longer had any standard rooms so we might get a theme park view or a cash room out of this. I can live with that! Soon we were back in the lobby and again at the front desk requesting to see Mary Ann. She quickly arrived from the back and explained the situation that some rooms had recently gone offline and they were all out of rooms. Now I was thinking, ok, maybe not a cash room but a move to VGF or BLT. Then she dropped the bomb that I legitimately did NOT expect, “Now we do have a Bungalow available for tonight and it is available right now if that is ok with you”. I was in genuine shock, I turned to Laura and could see that the waterworks had started. She immediately asked if I had planned this, boy I sure wish I could take credit for this but I did not. I then turned to Mary Ann and said “Yes ma’am that would be great”. I then went on to tell her that the timing of this magic was nothing short of perfect as we were there celebrating our 18th anniversary to which she responded with a “how wonderful” while making a nod to a CM behind the desk. Apparently that nod was code for “go get the money leis” as the CM came back with two handmade floral arrangements for Laura and I:
20161019_122819.jpg

20161019_124139.jpg

Again, we were still in a bit of shock while the CMs were working to set up our magic bands while explaining what the bungalows were and where they were located. They provided us with a map and a note to not feed the wildlife before wishing us another “Happy Anniversary” while sending us on our way.
20161019_124325.jpg

20161019_124331.jpg

I lost count of how many times I said “can you believe this” and “I am so happy for you right now” while we made our trek to Bora Bora. It still wasn’t quit real but all that was about to change.
20161019_124027.jpg

20161019_124037.jpg

20161019_124056.jpg

Still to come: Bora Bora from the inside, ‘Ohana Feast and Wishes from a bungalow.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
I've been looking forward to this trip report :) And what an amazing room upgrade!!
Thanks!
Wow. Nice upgrade. We got upgraded to a Boardwalk view at BWV one time, but that hardly compares. It was during an anniversary trip too. Looking forward to more.
I was genuinely expecting some sort of cash room theme park view but not this!
I WANT THAT HULA MAN ON THE SHELF!!!!
That cat is SECURED to the that shelf!!! I tried picking it up to see what it was made of and it didn't budge. Same goes for the sea shell.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So naturally the Bungalow surprise really created some magical waves in our plans for the day. We had every intention of a little lunch and R&R at the pool, ‘Ohana feast in our standard view room, then a long evening at the park. Well, learning we could enjoy Wishes and the Electric Water pageant with the music being pumped into our bungalow was just too much to pass up so we made some changes. We would, unfortunately, allow most all our FPs expire, and hit the park for magic hours after Wishes. We would still get some lunch and R&R at the pool and enjoy the ‘Ohana feast in our room but just a little later. So first up some R&R at the pool but not before a quick nap on the deck.
20161019_130829.jpg

20161019_172738.jpg

So it had been a while since our last meal and we were hungry. Oasis Bar and Grill has some very nice options. The Kalua pork sliders are a must for me when we stay here and the DW went with the kids fish taco. Both were excellent and hit the spot. I also brought a little libation from home because sipping GM at a Disney pool is just what I like to do!
GOPR0230.jpg

GOPR0229.jpg

20161019_134202.jpg

While we were dining we made a new friend who would eventually hop in the pool with us. It’s just like being at AKL! Well almost.
GOPR0231.jpg

GOPR0232.jpg

While not in my top two of pools I will say that the Oasis pool is very quiet and I was enjoying that right now.
GOPR0237.jpg

GOPR0233.jpg

GOPR0238.jpg

Here is our buddy from before getting his swim on. He was mostly comfortable with humans but drew the line at selfies…
GOPR0242.jpg

GOPR0241.jpg

Still to come: Dinner and a show

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom