TDO light maintenance becoming a joke!

Scuttle

Original Poster
Take a look at how bad these pictures are. I know Tower is suppose to have one o out of the hollywood, but not 3 letters out and half the T. The Grand Floridian lights are becoming an absolute joke. I mean at this point I pray they just strip the GF of the popcorn lights it would look better without lights than with half of them blown out. I seriously hope TDO changes it's ways very soon. It's getting scary.

Attachments

• 661.jpg
    661.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 446
  • 662.jpg
    662.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 430
  • 12-5-11 126.jpg
    12-5-11 126.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 444
  • 12-5-11 187.jpg
    12-5-11 187.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 430

Crockett

Banned
Oh wow. Looks like my upcoming trip in late Dec will be completely ruined if they don't fix this. How can I enjoy my time knowing those bulbs are out? And ToT looks almost unrideable. Having 100% working light bulbs is what makes or breaks the trip for my family, and sadly it looks like the kids will be heartbroken. :rolleyes:

Scuttle

Original Poster
Oh wow. Looks like my upcoming trip in late Dec will be completely ruined if they don't fix this. How can I enjoy my time knowing those bulbs are out? And ToT looks almost unrideable. Having 100% working light bulbs is what makes or breaks the trip for my family, and sadly it looks like the kids will be heartbroken. :rolleyes:

I'm just saying it's horrible show. I understand a lot of the maintenance problems at WDW and why they don't always get fixed quickly or frequently, but the GF lights are horrible and have been like this for 2 years.

CP_alum08

Well this settles it, I'm not going back until I get a letter, personally from Meg, stating that all the lights have been replaced.

Once again we have a thread about light bulbs, give it a rest!

njDizFan

Are light bulbs a big deal...not really. Will it ruin your trip...no

But don't we expect better from Disney. Light bulbs are a microcosm of the more recent ineptitutde in TDO management. For a company that claims to care about show quality above all else(except safety) they sure on not living up to their word.

I know if I have a light bulb out in my house I go and get a new one and fix it. If there a light out in my work, we call maintenance and they come and fix it right away, and actually even if we don't call they inspect every few weeks.

For one of the top vacation destinations in the world and the most photographed place in the world, what is their excuse?

Lee

Adventurer
For one of the top vacation destinations in the world and the most photographed place in the world, what is their excuse?
Easy. They have no excuse, just a reason: they are too cheap to replace them.
Simple as that.

Things such as this, which used to set Disney apart from lesser parks, have fallen by the wayside in the name of saving money.
Ruin a trip? No.
Symbol of decline? Yes.

ThatMouse

The lights at EPCOT are maintained pretty well. I'm always amazed that there aren't many, if any, burned out bulbs. I bet Disney really wants to go to LED lighting, but is still waiting for the technology to get better. The last thing they want is to put up 50,000 lights only to find next year they come out with double 'full wave' 240Hz bulbs that go twice as bright. All the dimmer circuitry is different for LED too.

Pioneer Hall

The lights at EPCOT are maintained pretty well. I'm always amazed that there aren't many, if any, burned out bulbs. I bet Disney really wants to go to LED lighting, but is still waiting for the technology to get better. The last thing they want is to put up 50,000 lights only to find next year they come out with double 'full wave' 240Hz bulbs that go twice as bright. All the dimmer circuitry is different for LED too.

Actually, a lot of lighting is getting switched over to LED. Over the next few years more and more will be replaced since they are reliable and last much longer.

Scuttle

Original Poster
Well this settles it, I'm not going back until I get a letter, personally from Meg, stating that all the lights have been replaced.

Once again we have a thread about light bulbs, give it a rest!

You just don't get it. It's the "flagship" resort that has rack rates starting at 450 and they can't replace the light bulbs? What a joke. As I said this hasn't been like this for a month or two. It's going on 2 years.

Polydweller

Ok, hands up. How many of you have managed a large maintenance division, much less on the size of Disney with maintenance of an area twice the size of Manhatten? Not many hands there. Think about how many light bulbs there are at Disney, hundreds of thousands maybe. That means bulbs are burning out all the time. The only way you can manage that problem is by having maintenance schedules, you could never keep up with every bulb as they burned out and some, like the ones in the pictures, undoubtedly require equipment to be scheduled to fix them. It will be always easy to see lights burned out if you go looking for them in a place that large.

Oh, did I mention at one point I was a manager in the services (read maintenance) division in a hospital with a campus the size of MK with more than 20 buildings? The only way we kept up with burned out light bulbs was with maintenance schedules and there were always non-essentials that were out somewhere.

Scuttle

Original Poster
Ok, hands up. How many of you have managed a large maintenance division, much less on the size of Disney with maintenance of an area twice the size of Manhatten? Not many hands there. Think about how many light bulbs there are at Disney, hundreds of thousands maybe. That means bulbs are burning out all the time. The only way you can manage that problem is by having maintenance schedules, you could never keep up with every bulb as they burned out and some, like the ones in the pictures, undoubtedly require equipment to be scheduled to fix them. It will be always easy to see lights burned out if you go looking for them in a place that large.

Oh, did I mention at one point I was a manager in the services (read maintenance) division in a hospital with a campus the size of MK with more than 20 buildings? The only way we kept up with burned out light bulbs was with maintenance schedules and there were always non-essentials that were out somewhere.

Well that's the thing. TDO use to have a light maintenance crew that would be scheduled to replace light bulbs. This light situation is going on to a lesser degree on Main Street U.S.A. also.

Lee

Adventurer
Is it a big job? Sure.

But, here's the thing.
Once upon a time, like the resorts first 20 years or so, they had a schedule.
All onstage lights were replaced when they reached 80% of the manifacturer's estimated lifespan. Yep, they changed them before they burned out. This guaranteed that situations like at GFC would never happen. It was a point of pride with the company.

It lasted until a bean counter killed it in the name of running the resort cheaper.
That's the Disney of today.

raven

I bet Disney really wants to go to LED lighting, but is still waiting for the technology to get better.

Actually WDI has all of these resources available to them. It's just a matter of TDO footing the bill for it.

Maintenence has to wait for a work order to be able to fix something. It's not as simple as seeing a bulb out and changing it. They have to wait for permission to do it. It's just the way these things are ran anymore.

ChristianG

Hahahaha ^^

Anyway, they need to fix this. It was things like checking up on the tiniest pieces that made Disney differ from all of the other parks. Now it's like they don't even care.

Aurora79

I understand where you are coming from Scuttle, you have a certain standard when it comes to the ambiance and the light problem is like a crack in the facade. You should tell management at GF, let them know that guest are noticing these little details. It might make them take action sooner. -A

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom