Tasks after booking the resort.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
So are there anything you guys/gals do between the window of time of booking your resort and waiting for the ADR to open up for your stay?

I've been fleshing out my itinerary, but admittedly that won't be nailed down until get the ADRs set up. Additionally I'm waiting to see what sort of incentives Disney will offer but for me that won't probably come until this Fall (for my April 2016 vacation).

I've also been obsessing over the meal plan (which numbers wise isn't working out for me).

bee

Similar to others, I look up the park hours if they are available and based on EMH and regular hours I plan generally where I want to be when. From there I make a few choices of ADRs in/near each park so I'm ready when the 180 day mark comes. If the booking window comes and I can't get exactly what I want in terms of ADRs I go to the next choice for that park, or consider switching days if a particular restaurant is super important to me. I also make a detailed spreadsheet (as detailed as possible) with schedule, budget, packing list, desired ADRs, and other considerations. I <3 Excel!

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Booked my airfare today with Southwest. 207 days to go
I'm not a southwest fan, but I'll probably start giving them a harder look now that JetBlue jumped on board the checked baggage fee bandwagon.

For this trip we have amassed enough sky miles to pay for the tickets for 3 out of 4, so it makes sense to for us to go that route. Once JetBlue opens up April, I'll start monitoring prices to get the best deal

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Discuss plans with whoever is going and map out ADR and parks each day.
I've been doing that to the frustration of my wife :p

With our vacation so far in the future she's been getting a steady diet of disney plans. I realize that my itinerary needs to be fluid until the ADRs are locked in (and even then being flexible is the key) but its nice to flesh out how I envision the days to be spent.

Upvote 0

LdyApxr

Love it! I share in your craziness as I even have a packing spreadsheet!
We HAVE to have a packing spreadsheet. It has changed over the years as the kids get older and depending on what we are doing. We have one for our trip to the races in Monterey, one for Disneyland, one for camping etc. The ONE time we did not use the packing sheet, we got all the way to Monterey and were about a half hour from the hotel when I realized that no one had grabbed the tickets and paddock passes. So three hours back to the house after dropping off the kids at the hotel(19, 13 and 10) and three hours back to the hotel. Let me tell you, that was not a pleasant car ride with my husband and I. LOL What stopped us from using the list? No idea but he thought I had them and I thought he had them(they are listed on his sheet, my sheet and the boy's sheet so someone checks them off) and in reality, no one had them. But the weekend still turned out good, just that first day was rough. LOL

Upvote 0

LdyApxr

I've been doing that to the frustration of my wife :p

With our vacation so far in the future she's been getting a steady diet of disney plans. I realize that my itinerary needs to be fluid until the ADRs are locked in (and even then being flexible is the key) but its nice to flesh out how I envision the days to be spent.

This makes my family crazy so I try not to talk Disney before say 90-60 days out and even then it is not much. My kids love Disney but my husband is a take it or leave it guy. Which is why I research and share with like-minded people. LOL

Upvote 0

smk

WOW! You all are so organized! I just pace around and dream of the moment I walk into the MK and see the castle! This year I hope our grandsons will be with us, one is two the other is 3 months old yesterday. I am dying to take them there but our son-in-law is in the Police training academy and his time off is very limited. Naturally, he wants to be with family for his son's first trip, so planning around that time is a challenge.

It does not mean we plan ahead for meals and the parks, we fly by the seat of our pants and usually do just QS meals anyway. IF the grandkids are with us we will have to do some extra plans and a check list may be a good thing. Mostly for snacks/meds etc...We are driving (they would fly due to limited time) and would take all the extra stuff in our car, so my daughter does not have to pack a suitcase full of diapers!

Upvote 0

KikoKea

I'm with you- planning is a huge part of the fun. During the time before we go, I like to look for new places to eat or things to see. We found the Sanaa that way- I was just checking out what other resorts had and it looked interesting- now it is one of our favorites and we love the bread sampler. Just before our trip in April, I read on the Disney blog about Trader Sam's Grotto opening at the Poly, so we stopped by to check it out. I also like to read up on history of the parks and Disney magic- I like to amaze my husband with trivia as we relax on the TTA or stand in line at the Haunted House. When the boys were younger, we spent one trip focused on finding hidden Mickeys that we'd researched and read about before leaving home.

If you have an extra day or evening that isn't spent at a park, you might want to plan on exploring. We had visited many times, but never ventured further than the hotels on the monorail loop or DTD until the past few years. (We always stay at Shades of Green) Then, we started going to the different resorts to look at the decor and that's been a lot of fun, especially when they are decorated for Fall and Christmas. Looking at a map of WDW a few years ago, I found that there's a boat that runs from Hollywood Studios to Epcot- had no idea before. That led us to exploring the resorts in that area. There's always something new to find.

In the months before we leave, my husband and I like to talk about our plans for the trip and about the parks. I read several blogs, so we talk about refurbishments, new construction, changes to rides, news, etc. We like to discuss what we'd like to see changed or added (a Star Wars land!) and speculate about what's to come. Sometimes, we like to listen to Disney park music- coming home from the Cub Scout swim activity tonight, we listened to the Space Mt tunnel music and the Pinocchio Village Haus loop on Youtube via my phone and car aux plug. (We also listened to The Fall Out Boys, so we do have a life other than Disney- it's just not as fun!)

For paperwork in the months leading up to the trip, I put printed copies of all receipts in an envelope- it goes in my carry on. I also make a calendar of our days there on a sheet of paper and plan our days on it, noting all the park hours and EMHs. Then, I decide which park(s) we will visit on which days. ADRs come next with FFPs. I also note all conf #s on this paper- and I take a pic of it with my phone in case it is left at home. As I read and plan, I make notes about new stuff to check out or see at the resorts or parks so I won't forget- like the boat, or the Grotto, etc.

And, I mark the wall calendar, counting down the weeks before we leave, changing to days about 2 months out. All in all, great fun, much anticipation!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom