Tackling M.K. in 1 Day with 2 Kids - Need a Plan

mirak

Taking two boys on their first trip to Magic Kingdom. Ages 4 and 7. We're staying at Wilderness Lodge the nights of 2/11 and 2/12, visiting the park on 2/12, which happens to be morning magic hours for the park. This is technically "low season" for prices, but it's the Thursday prior to President's Day Weekend. Hopefully crowds will be fairly low?

So what's the best way to tackle the park? We're planning on taking the ferry from Wilderness Lodge to the park for the magic hours early opening (I assume this is possible?). We'll probably skip Space Mountain, but otherwise plan to hit the major rides, hopefully some of them more than once. Seems like Adventureland might be the place to start because there's a lot of great rides there. But is that area open for the extra magic hours morning?

Best strategy for using Fast Pass?

Also, we want to do Pirates League for the boys. What's the best time of day to do that?

Other tips?

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Another adult going with you?

Have you checked ride height requirements? This is something you should do, as the 7 year old is more likely to be able to do pretty much everything in the park, but your 4 year old may not (depending on his height).

Upvote 0

mirak

Original Poster
Another adult going with you?

Have you checked ride height requirements? This is something you should do, as the 7 year old is more likely to be able to do pretty much everything in the park, but your 4 year old may not (depending on his height).

Yes, wife and I are taking the boys. The 4yo is exactly 40 inches, so he's good for everything except Space Mountain, and we'll probably skip that anyway. I love it but might be too intense for the 7yo.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yes, wife and I are taking the boys. The 4yo is exactly 40 inches, so he's good for everything except Space Mountain, and we'll probably skip that anyway. I love it but might be too intense for the 7yo.
Well, every family and child is different.

My daughter was tall enough for Space when I first took her (she was 4 going on 5 at the time, she has a late birthday and is naturally tall). I plopped her in the front seat of Space, and she took to it like a fish in water. That being said, I did test her on other coasters first (specifically Barnstormer, which at the time was Sky School). I did sit behind her and kept my hands positioned on both sides of her head for the rougher angles, something that I only stopped doing on last years trip.

So, I wouldn't rule it out.

Since the 4 year old is tall enough, though, that answers my question about being concerned about the kids wanting to do two different things.

Still, I'd suggest splitting up a few times. I took a 5 year old and a 10 year old one year, and that worked really well for us (though the ages are a bit different) as the pace was slightly different and it also kept the two kids from "feeding" off of each other. We'd each go off with one of the kids for an hour or two, then swap, then all meet up for lunch, do some things together as a group, and then split again for a few hours.

For a 4 year old a trip back to the hotel for an afternoon rest may also be a nice thing that the 7 year old is not interested in...so...

That works for some, but others prefer to do the larger "family group" style. So, whichever works for you.

For FP, I would certainly get it for Peter Pan. Everything else is pretty much how you feel about it. With the new system, the old tricks of the trade no longer apply.

But, Peter Pan has a terrible queue for kids, and I'd FP it every single time.

You will be able to use transit (bus or boat) for EM hours from Wilderness. Also, you may want to check out some of the stuff at Ft. Wilderness since you are so close. The Shetland Ponies are cheap, and something your boys may enjoy doing. Also, Hoop de Doo is fun, but for your kids maybe a bit too much (you'd have to judge that for yourself).

As far as tackling the park, with when you are going, no real strategy required (again, something that FP+ has changed a bit). I tend to go to the back of the park if there at Rope Drop and work my way forward, but that tactic hasn't proven nearly as successful as it was even 5 years ago (not to mention 20 years ago when you could literally "reverse" the ride lines by doing it, meaning, go to the back, hit all the rides back there and work your way to main street counter clockwise, as most people entered, and went towards adventureland (not sure why...but they do)...

Anyhow...that's all I can think of at the moment.

Upvote 0

rt06

Pick your top ride, take any time closest to your preference. Afterwards, adjust rides and times individually. The earlier the better, as you can get new FPs after your third one, though those options will be limited. I highly recommend rope drop for a one day visit. It will allow you to accomplish plenty and perhaps bang out that top attraction, namely 7D or A&E.

Staying for Wishes? Claim your spot early, then get dinner from a quick serve. It will kill time and keep your kids occupied, and for sure you guys will be hungry (unless you have other dining plans).

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

It's all subjective and we all have our preferences, but I'd start at rope drop and head straight to Big Thunder Mountain. Do Big Thunder (2x, if desired), Splash Mountain, Pirates and Haunted Mansion during the first hour. Then work back through Adventureland, Frontierland and Liberty Square once again (beginning with Jungle Cruise if the line is short and you want to do it -- otherwise, save it for late at night or skip it), and hit what you skipped: Swiss Family Treehouse, Tiki Room, Magic Carpets, Country Bear Jamboree, etc. With only one day, you're probably going to have to skip Tom Sawyer Island altogether (but do keep it in mind for a future visit!) Have lunch and return to the resort for naps, so that everyone will have a good "second wind" and sufficient stamina to stay up late.

Mid-afternoon, return to the park and take the WDW R.R. to the Fantasyland station. Do Fantasyland (Barnstormer, Little Mermaid if the line is 15 min. or less, Mad Tea Party, Carrousel, Philharmagic, its a small world). Grab dinner and visit Tomorrowland (Carousel of Progress, PeopleMover, Buzz if the line is 15 min. or less, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, Stitch if you hate your family). The following attractions in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland will require a FP+ or will need to be saved for the very end of the night, unless you happen to walk by and see a posted wait of 15 min. or less: 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Buzz Lightyear, AstroOrbiter (if desired), Dumbo, Enchanted Tales With Belle, Winnie the Pooh, and Peter Pan (as well as any repeats of the morning headliners). Be aware of where the FP+ kiosks are, in case you want to make a 4th FP+ after yours are used, but be warned that they may be "sold out" for the headliners for the day. "Kill" the remaining time between now and the fireworks and/or MSEP (line up early!) by revisiting favorite attractions.

Obviously, I'd suggest skipping any minor attractions that aren't big on your "to-do" list, so you'll have some more breathing room in your schedule. Also, you'll notice I didn't include any M&Gs. With only one day at MK, M&Gs aren't a great use of your time. However, you might ask each child if there's one character they'd most like to meet, and work in that character's M&G in your touring plan -- ideally first thing in the morning, or with a FP+ later on. Just pray the kids don't want to meet Anna and Elsa, or you'll likely be spending a large amount of your ticket price for the privilege of standing in a pretty line for hours. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JillC LI

On an early EMH day, if you get there before rope drop, you should be able to cover a ton of ground in the first two hours. Hit slow-loaders like Dumbo first. I wouldn't plan for any FP+s during that time frame as they will be unnecessary. After that, plan them as early as possible so you can get a 4th when you finish your first three. Years ago (so granted, it was regular FP, not FP+), on our first family trip with kids ages 5 and 7, we covered a huge amount of the MK in one day. We were there from early opening til closing with no mid-day break, and the kids were just fine with the go-go-go pace. In fact, they demanded it!

Upvote 0

MaryJaneP

Our view is that you should prioritize and hit in order the most important rides for your crew. With young boys, we would think Big Thunder and Splash are givens. While you are there, Haunted Mansion should be done. We are partial to Philharmagic, especially since it is 3D and is on the way to new fantasy land. Mermaid and Seven Dwarves as they are newer rides and the boys may be asked about them by their friends. We think Buzz Lightyear, while not mandatory, is a nice competitive ride that may resonate with your boys. We agree with the railroad suggestion and even riding some of the WDW launches to walk around some of the resorts. That should be a full day and you can cap off with fireworks, assuming everyone is not too tuckered out.

Upvote 0

bjlc57

BUY THE UNOFFICIAL GUIDE TO WDW.. read the trip plans.. or just goto Barnes and Noble and read it there.. but this will help you plan your day.. and get the most out of your day.. and put in FRONT OF ALL THE CROWDS.. if you follow the plans..

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom