SYWTBAI Season 18 - Round One: Team Next Gen Brainstorming Thread

Outbound

That's true. The key to doing RDR and Cyberpunk right, imo, is to not focus on their respective stories but more so on the open worlds themselves. Tell original stories that everyone would understand but set inside the same universe. Compare that to LOTR or Spongebob where it's pretty hard not to include Frodo or Spongebob in an attraction. Star Trek I could see going both ways, and anime I unfortunately know nothing about but I'd be down for trying it.

DashHaber

This just popped into my head but currently Epic Universe has
—Nintendo (Animated Style)
—Monsters (Horror Style)
—How to Train Your Dragon (Fantasy Style)

Some genres that haven’t been touched in Universal are Western and Sci Fi. Maybe focus a land around one of these concepts. Given Nintendo has proven video games can be used as an IP, perhaps we could try using RDR or Cyberpunk 2077.
This is a good point, actually. I'm not sure about those specific IPs, but going with something like a sci-fi-centric IP can help offer some diversity among the lands.

goofyyukyuk

Since there’s a lack of IPs that originated on TV or in the 50’s or 60’s in Epic Universe, I think the Golden Age of Television is a good place to start:

Outer Limits:

• The sci-fi horror intrinsic to the IP, would complement its next door neighbor, the Universal Monsters area, really well while having its own distinct feel.
  • Not an overused IP, with only a barely themed roller coaster at Kings Island previously being themed to it.
Setting it in Nevada and having the main attraction be set in Area 51 would be a great excuse to use recognizable alien species from both the original series and the 90’s version.

Gotham City ‘66

- Would stylistically be a middle point between a comic book look and the replication of reality style that we’ve seen many superhero lands go to one extreme or the other.

-Many death traps to take advantage of, that are too over the top for the modern version of Batman.

-Could cross over with the George Reeve’s version of Superman and Lynda Carter’s version of Wonder Woman since both have been canonized into the Adam West Batman universe.
Now these are some interesting ideas... both really hit on some missing themes from Epic Universe, so I’d be interested in exploring these more.

Outbound

Since there’s a lack of IPs that originated on TV or in the 50’s or 60’s in Epic Universe, I think the Golden Age of Television is a good place to start:

Outer Limits:

• The sci-fi horror intrinsic to the IP, would complement its next door neighbor, the Universal Monsters area, really well while having its own distinct feel.
  • Not an overused IP, with only a barely themed roller coaster at Kings Island previously being themed to it.
Setting it in Nevada and having the main attraction be set in Area 51 would be a great excuse to use recognizable alien species from both the original series and the 90’s version.

Gotham City ‘66

- Would stylistically be a middle point between a comic book look and the replication of reality style that we’ve seen many superhero lands go to one extreme or the other.

-Many death traps to take advantage of, that are too over the top for the modern version of Batman.

-Could cross over with the George Reeve’s version of Superman and Lynda Carter’s version of Wonder Woman since both have been canonized into the Adam West Batman universe.

I like the Outer Limits idea a lot, my only worry is it'd be too similar to Men in Black over at the Studios Park.

Can we use Gotham? I'd love to but I think it's owned by Six Flags. Which is a shame considering their "theming" is just a coaster painted black for Batman.

goofyyukyuk

I like the Outer Limits idea a lot, my only worry is it'd be too similar to Men in Black over at the Studios Park.

Can we use Gotham? I'd love to but I think it's owned by Six Flags. Which is a shame considering their "theming" is just a coaster painted black for Batman.
I wonder if they have the rights to all DC properties or if it’s like Marvel where Universal only had the rights to certain properties. I suppose it would be confusing having Marvel in one park and DC in a second area...

PerGron

I don't think we should go with DC solely based on IoA already featuring Marvel, not even taking Six Flags into account. As for Sci-Fi, what if we did Blade Runner?

Blade Runner is incredibly iconic and has been super popular, even spawning a sequel very recently, has a very unique world, and is probably the most iconic Sci-Fi property outside of Star Trek (since Star Wars is Fantasy and I'll die on that hill)

goofyyukyuk

I looked further into it... it appears Six Flags controls the rights to DC for quite some time, so unless something happened where Disney paid Universal some serious money for all the Marvel rights, Universal is still a ways away from DC. The more I think about this, the more I think that the goal should be big IPs. Disney has boomed recently with the use of Star Wars and Marvel, which have put them head and shoulders above Universal. Nintendo is a massive IP and How to Train a Dragon fills the kid-centric area of the park well. Monsters fits the horror/excitement genre well. The biggest IP available to Universal is Lord of the Rings, and Star Trek is a little ways behind that. If the goal is to make this park both epic and on a competitive level with some of Disney’s parks, putting Nintendo and another IP like LotR or another major IP is the best way to do that. I understand the feeling that anime or some other more niche IPs should be represented, and I do agree with that, but at the same time, I feel like since we’re searching for a single IP, we should use one that is widely recognized and will truly elevate this park.

DashHaber

I don't think we should go with DC solely based on IoA already featuring Marvel, not even taking Six Flags into account. As for Sci-Fi, what if we did Blade Runner?

Blade Runner is incredibly iconic and has been super popular, even spawning a sequel very recently, has a very unique world, and is probably the most iconic Sci-Fi property outside of Star Trek (since Star Wars is Fantasy and I'll die on that hill)
Blade Runner would certainly offer one heck of a world for a theme park visitor.

In terms of other sci-fi properties, what about Doctor Who?

Outbound

I would be down for Blade Runner. Though @goofyyukyukyuk17 makes a good point that realistically, Universal's best choice is LOTR. LOTR would become the flagship property in that park and I could easily see them marketing the Eye of Sauron the same way they do Hogwarts Castle for IOA. So for me, it's really a question of creativity (Blade Runner) vs realism (LOTR).

PerGron

I would be down for Blade Runner. Though @goofyyukyukyuk17 makes a good point that realistically, Universal's best choice is LOTR. LOTR would become the flagship property in that park and I could easily see them marketing the Eye of Sauron the same way they do Hogwarts Castle for IOA. So for me, it's really a question of creativity (Blade Runner) vs realism (LOTR).

I agree. Out of all of the ideas so far, these are the two I can see being the biggest hits for Universal

Disneylover152

Heyyo! I'm not familiar with a lot of Universal IPs, or Epic Universe. So I've been doing a little bit of research about it.

What at first looks like a park with a collection of random IPs all connected by a garden in the middle, but when actually looking at it, it's much different. The "universes" are all mystical. A land with dragons, a land with fantastic beasts & magic, a land with monsters, and a land through Nintendo. They are all alternate realities in a way. All connected by this mystical gardens throughout the park. Looking at the concept art, it has this slight out of this world feel. It looks at first like a random IP selection, but once you look at it much further you actually see it's smartly laid out.

Therefore I think the new land needs to fit this mystical, new "universe" theme the park has.

Just by going through IPs that have been brought up, I suggest these sort of fit this theme of the park- Shrek, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings (never seen it , but from the way you guys talk about), Avatar all fit this theme. I worry doing something that is too realistic will break the theme of the park.

Looney Toons & Batman may be too similar to what's offered at Six Flags Parks, plus really don't fit the theme of the park. Spongebob already has a home in many theme parks around the country, it may be redundant.

Also, as a 17 year old boy, I can tell you that nobody my age knows what Lord of the Rings is. Its something that I know exists, but I do not know one person who has seen the movie. I don't know anything about it.

PerGron

So since most of us are here except for @ThatGuyFromFlorida who mentioned they may not be active this round due to school, how about we all say our top 3 ideas and go from there. It can at least help us weed out the lesser ideas we’re not interested in pursuing. Once we have 3 or 4 ideas we can narrow it down from there.

My top 3 are

1. Lord of the Rings
2. Blade Runner
3. Bikini Bottom

Sharon&Susan

So since most of us are here except for @ThatGuyFromFlorida who mentioned they may not be active this round due to school, how about we all say our top 3 ideas and go from there. It can at least help us weed out the lesser ideas we’re not interested in pursuing. Once we have 3 or 4 ideas we can narrow it down from there.

My top 3 are

1. Lord of the Rings
2. Blade Runner
3. Bikini Bottom
1. Star Trek
2. Lord of the Rings
3. Shrek

goofyyukyuk

My top 3 are

1. Lord of the Rings
2. Blade Runner
3. Bikini Bottom
I’d agree with those top 3... maybe Star Trek as a 4th option?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom