Sweet, but Fuddy Duddy Spouse

ADevereaux

Hi Everyone!

I will be going to WDW for four days in July for my *gulp* 40th birthday. My DH is a very sweet man but he doesn't exactly think Disney parks are 'fun'. :rolleyes: He hates the crowds and isn't a light-hearted type. I can just hear the "I'm hot.... I'm tired.... My feet hurt...." :hammer: I have gently suggested that he doesn't have to go in the dead of summer with me and the kids. We live in FL and can go anytime. But anyone else have to deal with the unenthusiastic spouse? In relation to WDW? :lol: ;)

barnum42

My girlfriend does not understand my fascination and enjoyment of the parks. She has a block that says "it's for kids, or you can only go if you have kids". We visited a couple of her friends who are Disney World fans and they backed me up.

She finds a lot to like about the parks and is interested in Animal Kingdom, Epcot and The Studios, but still can't get her head around Magic Kingdom :lol:

Upvote 0
My wife likes WDW but is not gung ho like most of us. I want to go every year but she doesn't so we settle on every other year. Im not sure how old your kids are but just ask you husband to stop the bellyaching, step back and watch the expressions of the kids when they are enjoying the parks, fireworks, parades etc... That is usually what I remember most about our trips. Its just priceless and maybe once he realizes how much the family is enjoying the trip he will change his opinion. He may surprise you. Have a great trip.

Upvote 0

Floridasunshine

oh gosh yes!!! I always feel that my hubby would rather be at the dentist than on vacation having fun with me and the kids.

We just got back in May from a 4 night/5 day Disney trip. Things went well until the afternoon of the third day, surprisingly enough. Then the "I'm sick.", "I'm cold..why do they want to freeze the *%$^ out of me in here", "I wish you'd hurry up", blah blah blah started.

I put up with it for about 24 hours but lost my cool at Epcot the next day. I was buying my oldest DD who did not go a souvenier in the shop and having it engraved...so it took a few minutes while DH, DD, & DS sat on the step. DS bumped his head on the step rail. He is 10 and tough. DH got totally perturbed that I did not race and get ice for him because he 'probably had a concussion'. :mad: (I could tell he was just fine,and DS said he was okay). But anyway, I took DS by the hand and headed for the nearest restaurant even though he was fine. :brick:

In the meantime DH LEFT!!!!! "To blow off steam", he says!!!:fork: For about an hour. And he had all the tickets, fast passes, room keys with dining plan on them, and all our money. He left me and the kids with nothing,,,not even enough for a bottled water. He would not even answer his phone. I had no idea where he went! But he comes strolling back about an hour later like nothing had happened!!! I was sooooo mad at him!

I have decided that next trip he stays HOME!!!!:mad: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

lborne

There is only one answer - divorce. The kids will understand.

Seriously, you should try and spend as much time as possible in air conditioned areas where you can sit down - like shows and table service restaurants. Use fast pass and don't stand in long lines in the heat - that makes the miserable downright unpleasant. EPCOT rarely feels busy since there is so much open space. And you can let your DH sample the beers from the countries while you take the kids on MS. If staying near the area, spend time at the hotel pool.

Good luck and remind him it is YOUR birthday.

Upvote 0

eroyee

grouchy

:wave: Dear Floridasunshine: Your DH wouldnt last very long with me!! My DH and I are both disney lovers so guess I am lucky. That was pretty rude to leave you like that. Actually, the Florida sun and heat in July are pretty bad. I wouldnt even go then, cause I would tend to get a bit testy myself. cant stand the heat and humidity, with crowds mixed in. Maybe if you went another time of year if possible. Ever tried separate vacations.?:lol:

Upvote 0

iowa8

My husband is not a big fan of the parks either. He is, however, a golf fanatic. He now plays golf on the days that my two DDs and I enjoy the theme parks. Lucky for us WDW has so many courses, we now stay a day or two longer than we did pre golf! He has a blast, and us girls have alot more fun without his complaints.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

I was going to say - while you are at the parks, send him golfing, or on a boat outing, or let him stay at the hotel and relax at the pool or watch movies on tv. He can also go to Downtown Disney and catch up on the latest movies at the AMC and meet you somewhere for dinner later.

Upvote 0

ADevereaux

Original Poster
Thanks for the Replies!

Wow - great ideas everyone!!! :sohappy: Thank you so much for your replies!

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 1582115" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>meatloafsfan</TD><TD class=alt2>Drug him.....</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I like this one, meatloasfan. :cool: [JK!]

Floridasunshine, you must have been FURIOUS at your DH! :mad:

lborne - I will take your advice and remind him that it is my birthday. ;)

Hopefully, he WILL surprise me. He is a great guy and I love him with all my heart but...well, he isn't a Disney fan. :hammer:

Thanks a lot for the good ideas everyone. :)

Upvote 0

Mimi

ADevereaux said:
I can just hear the "I'm hot.... I'm tired.... My feet hurt...." :hammer:

Just think of him as a large bratty child and deal with him accordingly. Give him plenty of water, try to hit air conditioned spots as often as possible and let him take a break once in a while. Then tell him to quit whining or you'll make him wear mouse ears and and go on IASW repeatedly until he lightens up!

Upvote 0

ADevereaux

Original Poster
Rotfl

Then tell him to quit whining or you'll make him wear mouse ears and and go on IASW repeatedly until he lightens up!

:lol: :lol: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

AlohaMickey

My DH is not a huge Disney fan either. In fact he refers to Mickey as "The Rodent
that steals all his $$$". He did enjoy his first trip to WDW in 2004, but can't
understand why I dragging him back later this month for 9 days!!

Meanwhile, I'm counting the minutes, making lists, ordering cute clothes and
holding my breath till we leave for the airport!!!

Next time, If the guy isn't a LIFELONG DISNEY FANATIC, it's a deal breaker ;)
Good Luck!!!

Upvote 0

ADevereaux

Original Poster
AlohaMickey said:
Meanwhile, I'm counting the minutes, making lists, ordering cute clothes and
holding my breath till we leave for the airport!!!

Next time, If the guy isn't a LIFELONG DISNEY FANATIC, it's a deal breaker ;)
Good Luck!!!

I'm excited about leaving on my trip, too! Don't let him ruin it! :wave:

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Luckily the family and I love WDW, as for your husband, have him hipnotized into loving WDW and you should have no problems. If you still have problems you could say if you do this with us we'll do something with you.:animwink:

Upvote 0

RU42

I think a couple hinted at this idea...but here it is summed up:

Let him have his own vacation while at the Parks. If he likes golf, he golfs while the rest of you play in the Parks. If he likes to swim; then a resort pool or a water park. There are the pleasure craft, mice boats, and other recreations. Etc.

You can vacation together but that does not mean you have to be with each other 100% of the time. Re-meet in the evening for dinner and some evening activity.

If that doesn't work...duct tape. ;)

RU

Upvote 0

lcsrig

Let's Band Together!

As a happy Disney loving person we should all get together and leave our spouses out of it. If they don't want to go we'll leave them home and all go together.
I am lucky though. My hubby supports me in all my planning and obsessing. We can only go once a year so he loves the trip, complains on the way home that we never go anywhere else, and then by a year later he's ready to go back!

Upvote 0

ADevereaux

Original Poster
Wahoo!

lcsrig said:
As a happy Disney loving person we should all get together and leave our spouses out of it. If they don't want to go we'll leave them home and all go together.

HERE, HERE!!! :sohappy: I'll go for that, lcsrig!!!! :D Wouldn't it be a BLAST to go with a bunch of gals who love Disney as much as you do?!?!? :D I went with my girlfriend for one day last November by ourselves and we had SO much fun! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

ADevereaux said:
HERE, HERE!!! :sohappy: I'll go for that, lcsrig!!!! :D Wouldn't it be a BLAST to go with a bunch of gals who love Disney as much as you do?!?!? :D I went with my girlfriend for one day last November by ourselves and we had SO much fun! :sohappy:
Now that we brought my wife's best friend to WDW she asked me if she could shanghi her to go early next year............................... without me:(:eek::cry:

Upvote 0

ADevereaux

Original Poster
To Craig

Craig & Lisa said:
Now that we brought my wife's best friend to WDW she asked me if she could shanghi her to go early next year............................... without me:(:eek::cry:

Awwwwww - that's terrible!!! :( But you must remember - you like Disney - therefore you do not qualify as a 'sweet, but fuddy duddy spouse'. :animwink: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom